PDA

View Full Version : Best braids for braid waves

Magdalene
July 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
After wearing my hair in two French-rope braids into a bun, I discovered spiral braid waves! :cheese:

What kind of braid gives you the best waves?

kwaniesiam
July 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
I used to do a single french braid that worked very well because it gave waves all the way down instead of just at the tail where an English braid would have been. I tried rope braiding, but maybe I need to work on my technique more because it never held for me, I just got frizz.

ZaBasDa
July 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Two french braids give me 2c waves all over my hair. My favorite is doing micro braids to get super crimped hair. :D Rope braids can, if they are small enough, can give me dread-like spirals.

misstwist
July 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
I have never liked braid waves and always spritzed my hair to make them go away. They just look nasty compared to my natural wave.

However, when I started doing rope braids and 4-strand box braids I started getting much nicer waves--from the box braid it almost looks curly.

SweetPea88
July 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
Double French braids seem to work well for me. A single 3 strand somehow just makes my hair smooth and flat, no waves.

daydreamer
July 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I haven't found any braid yet that makes good braid waves for me.... my hair is straight so it will be wavy until the tassel and then stick straight. Looks bad! :( Bun waves work far better for me.

Gladtobemom
July 21st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Rope braids with oiled ends, wrapped into buns when they are still a teeny bit damp. If I want spirals, I do 4 of them (Top of head, two sides, and back).

It gives me a fluffy top and spirals. But I have to be very careful not to comg, just finger separate a bit and shake.

If I want them to last all day, I comb in some very diluted wave setting lotion first.

luna*
July 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
My favourite braid for nice waves is a single french braid which gives me nices waves starting on the top of my head and going all the way down.
I'm sure two french braids would be great too, but I'm just too lazy... ;)

ilovelonghair
July 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
French braid, starting very high to get waves at the top too and the ends twirled around the braid. This results in waves like in my signature picture. Only now it's shorter so I have waves all over.

Arctic
July 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
I recently managed to make a crownbraid and the waves were just wonderful: all the way from roots to tips! I should work on my rope braid technique as I also have broblems with them ...

angelthadiva
July 22nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Damp hair French Braided over night gives me rocking waves...Plain ole English braid or rope braids give me nothing.

nessthing
July 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Herringbone braids. They take forever to dry, but holy crap the waves are tiny and ribbony and EVERYWHERE.

Mishka_84
July 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I did a version of a single French braid, starting almost at the front of my hair, and have very lovely waves. Though instead of pulling each strand on top of the braid, I pulled each new strand underneath the braid to the farther strand. I've found I can manage a tighter braid this way, and gives much better wave results than the regular french braid I was trying before.

susiemw
July 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
I recently managed to make a crownbraid and the waves were just wonderful: all the way from roots to tips! I should work on my rope braid technique as I also have broblems with them ...

rope braids give me the best waves.

Susan

krissyam
May 6th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Trying my very first rope braid tonight (yay!) after a miserable failed attempt with mini-cinnabuns last night. :p Worst of all, I woke up too late to re-wash and had to walk around with a massive, frizzy poof all day long (think Christina Aguilera in that Lady Marmalade music video....seriously). I'm new to trying all the wonderful styles here at LHC, so I guess I have to allow for a certain amount of disaster. Heh.

ilovelonghair
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I discovered something new: if you twist locks of damp hair and leave it like that (my hair stays like that if I twist a lock) after it dries it gives very nice kind of spirally waves.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Two French rope braids, with the ends tucked under give gorgeous waves. I want to try wrapping them into a bun sometime, too.

helen2806
May 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I usually spritz my hair with water so it's damp, do two french braids, then wrap the ends back round my hair, pin them and sleep like that.

I used to just leave the ends down and they would get frizzed up but I have much better results with wrapping them round, even if it does look a bit odd in the process!

young&reckless
May 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I like the texture I get from a four strand english style braid. French braids just make the my hair really flat on top.

cassie_g
May 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Two french / dutch braids if braid when my hair is wet. Dry hair gets a little wavy while damp gets me the waves in the pic on my user page.

Madame J
May 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I discovered I got really awesome braid waves from a French braid, braided to the very tip, and then tucked under and pinned without an elastic. Got waves to the bottom of my hair, with no weird kinks where I tie it off. Because I had to twist the ends up a bit to tuck them, I got some little spiral curls at the very tip that were cute and blended well with the braid-waves.

Natalia
May 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
What a great thread my limp hair wont hold curl for anythign but braid waved seem to fair well just havent found any i am super fond of yet. I have certainly found a few idead to try :D! Thanks <3

hairbrain
May 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
my siggy hair was a single french braid done while damp and lightly
oiled...
but I love it when I rope braid it and then spin/twirl it into
a bun. when that comes out its very wavy.

viking_quest
May 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I hate my braid waves but everybody here is making me want to try french rope braids. The only braid waves I come close to liking are herringbone braid waves. They tend to look really cool.

freznow
May 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I like a plain english braid. Most else that I have tried is just too much, the waves don't match up and they just look poofy and frizzy. But an english braid on moisturized hair tends to go well for me.

Magdalene
May 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
i discovered by accident the other day 2 figure-8's give a very 1940's Veronica Lake look. The trick with all braid waves seems to be getting it just damp enough but not wet

feralnature
May 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I need to learn to do more than just the simple kind of braids. I don't even know the names of all the different kinds. So I am a braid moron :) But I do like braid waves.

SimplyViki
May 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I like best when I do two rope braids, and then curl the ends using those little terry cloth ponytail holders. It's just time consuming, and I'm lazy, so I've only done that once.

zift
May 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I discovered that after shower and dripping wet if I cover my hair in leave in and braid, I get non-puffy and shiny waves. I start the braid from lower nape so that my scalp is more comfortable when I sleep. I already have very wavy hair so the top is already wavy so it looks rather natural.