PDA

View Full Version : Hot rollers or pin curls

Katleen
March 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a wedding in my family this summer, and the theme is 1940's. I immediately saw Kate Beckinsale's hair in Pearl Harbor flashing before my eyes ;)

Right now, I'm just about APL but by summer I hope to have gained a few inches of lenght.
So now I was wondering: how do I get these gorgeous 1940's waves in my hair?
I'm not really keen on using a curling iron, as I know it doesn't hold for longer dan 1hr if I'm lucky.

Would traditional pincurls hold their style longer? Or would I have to go for a traditional roller set ( I don't have any big rollers though), or hot rollers maybe? I have quite thick and heavy hair...

Thanks for your input, so I can start practising a little...

Egana
March 5th, 2012, 06:30 AM
I know many here use big diameter steam rollers - perhaps they can give advice on it, and include pics?

please keep us informed on what you decide to do, and how it turns out, with pics? *grin*

jacqueline101
March 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I'd do pin curls. Give you a feel of how it was like to do your hair daily like they did.

chou
March 5th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I've styled my hair with non-damaging Caruso steam rollers and it had a vintage look. There are pics in my albums if you want to check out the effect. I have just over chin length hair and the curls were really strong and held for two days which is way longer than hot roller sets used to hold on me. Pin curls might have the strongest hold and would be the most authentic, but they take some skill to get right and I always screw them up when I try them.
Please post pics if you try any curling experiments!

Amazinggrace
March 5th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I would use the jumbo, caruso steam rollers.

Pin culrs can look beautiful, but they are hard to get exactly the same size adn direction. If you are going to go the pin curl route, I would practice quite a few times until you are very comfortable with them.

Macaroni
March 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
At the time, it could have been a curling iron or pin curls. I'd do pin curls.

Thinthondiel
March 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I usually use hot rollers, but there's no doubt I get the best results with pin curls. And when I do pin curls, they sometimes last for days... but then my hair holds a curl really well. If yours doesn't, you might want to use some kind of setting lotion or other product before you curl your hair. I'm sure there are recipes for all-natural setting lotions somewhere out there if you don't want to use commercial products.

Katleen
March 7th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Hello all,

I've tried something yesterday, but it didn't work :-( I still had some bendy foam rollers (we call them papillotte in Belgium, I don't know the English). After I had washed my hair, I rolled quite large pieces of my hair and slept on them.
Unfortunately, my hair was still too wet I guess, and this morning when I took them out (even put the blowdryer on it for a minute and let it cool), it was still wet...

I think the idea might work though, and at least I have some great volume in my hair today ;-)
I'll try again in a few days but with hair that's nearly dry, just need to wash it earlier in the evening...

hototogisu
March 7th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Pin curls are the authentic technique, and while they're tricky the first time once you've got the technique down they're not hard at all. I'm OBSESSED with Lisa Freemont Street's tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaFreemontStreet). Her method with wet sets is to start with dry hair and then use a small spray bottle to spray down the ends of hair. I use this method and find my hair drys in 3-4 hours.

My advice for pin curls is to use end papers. These are small sheets of tissue paper traditionally used when wrapping hair for perms. I spray the end of my little swatch of hair until it's quite damp, fold an end paper in half, then fold it over the ends of my hair. The water makes the tissue paper cling and it holds the ends together nicely. It makes it really easy to form the pin curl with your fingers. I can't even tell you how much easier it is to form really sculpted, vintage curls using end papers!

I'm Colour B4ing my hair right now, but I can post photos of my method later today if you like!

Katleen
March 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hototogisu, thanks for the link!!
I'm at work at the moment, but as soon as I get home, I'll start watching, looks like there are super tutorials!