PDA

View Full Version : Twisting for smoothness

sycamoreboutiqu
March 5th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Wondered if anyone else does this ?

In an effort to tame some of the volume I have been twisting my hair into two sections to air dry. I don't secure them, just retwist every so often as they come loose. This works well if I am sitting still for hours - like while reading the forums.

I really helps to tame some of the pouf and reduce the volume.

This of course is in conjunction with CO washing, and a bit of leave-in oil or condish.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2817522880857&set=a.2817522000835.2120557.1342425084&type=3
If that link doesn't work I am uploading to my album - called Twisting To Dry

Kira94
March 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM
That sounds neat, I should try that next time. I tend to get quite a bit of poof. :)

hototogisu
March 5th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Ooh, I do that all the time when I'm home! It makes my hair super smooth.

AnimaSola3o4
March 5th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I do! Both with securing it and not. With securing it I find that I have to wait until my hair is just barely damp, and it's at its' most 'pliable' where it will hold the shape or smoothness.

And there's actually a method of enhancing curl that is similar to this, where you leave it down and unsecured, and twist small sections. It makes spiral curls in your hair. I know I read about it here, long time ago.

desertgirl
March 5th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I do this when I oil. :)

MonaLisa
March 5th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Sounds interesting and can't hurt :)

proo
March 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Wow, I love this concept.
Do you wait till it's somewhat dry?
Do you comb?

whitedove
March 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I have been doing this. when my hair is dried, I use oil and place in a loose coiled bun at nape of neck (like avatar). After a few hours take it down and my hair is smoother and less frizzed.

Proo - I usually comb to shape the bun better.

heidi w.
March 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Curly haired folks do this I have read, somewhat commonly apparently.
heidi w.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 5th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Wow, I love this concept.
Do you wait till it's somewhat dry?
Do you comb?
==============
I twisted it right after soaking up excess water with a towel - no rubbing or anything
just squeezed and left on for 30 min (takes that long) so it was at the extremely damp but not dripping phase. I then finger combed just enough to get it to get the scalp part to lay down a bit but nothing more.
I just kept re-twisting the coils every so often as it dried more, and didn't comb at all.
After about 8 hours it was nearly dry and the coils looked great.

I knew they wouldn't last overnight though so I decided to try and preserve them by twisting around some long cloth strips made from a t-shirt. It worked fairly well, but I had only secured them loosely (didn't want to have to deal with sleeping on big lumps) so the strips were halfway out by morning.
Still - it preserved some of the spiral look and I am pretty happy with it.

I would like to try the rag method again but have to figure a way I can stand to sleep in it.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Curly haired folks do this I have read, somewhat commonly apparently.
heidi w.
Yes, I would think this was probably an old-fashioned way to control long hair. I just wish there were an easier way to keep it intact for when I can't just sit on the couch for 8 hours - rag curls are kind of lumpy.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I am sure there is probably a good thread on here about using rags for this purpose, going to go search one out.

Anybody know what you call the American Indian look where coils of hair are wrapped in leather thongs ? It kind of looks like a rag curl not folded back up but left to hang down. I bet that would work if you could get the top part end to stay in place.

DarkSky
March 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Here are my results from making small twists. It made nice big curls and looked good from the side but not so much from the back. Don't know what went wrong back there LOL. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9734

Anyways one day I'll have to try the idea of making only two twists. For the life of me I can't get bun waves to look good.

coderred
March 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM
This looks really cool. I've mostly gone for big, outrageous hair since that's what I get naturally, but I've been coveting smoother looks lately.

blondie9912
March 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I do this and I have light waves, it works very well :) my hair tends to be a bit poofy right after drying, so having it twisted helps to reduce unwanted volume

melusine963
March 12th, 2012, 01:23 AM
If I let my hair dry naturally it would puff out quite a bit, so I also keep it contained - in my case with in braid or a cinnabun. It definitely helps my hair stay more manageable.

MonicaJean
March 12th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Yes, I used to do this when my hair was longer in an attempt to control my waves and make them more uniform. My waves like to do their own thing though so it didn't ever work as well as I hoped it would.

Pinkster8
March 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I do this while my hair is air drying and it looks like it will be frizzy or have weird wave patterns in it. I also do it when I oil or put regular leave-in on my ends. Plus, it's easier to keep from tangling when it's twisted into two parts :)