PDA

View Full Version : interesting hairstyle

LissaJane
March 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM
http://9gag.com/gag/3115426

So found the above picture today, I thought it was pretty interesting. My hair is currently too short to pull off any kind of hairstyle, but I'd be interested to know how it's done and what it's called.

Just wanted to share :)

Freckled.Thing
March 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I've seen a picture of something like that. I know I would never do it. All those elastics would be a lot of friction/damage plus they would take ages to take out. Not worth it to me. Sure I guess it's interesting but I honestly don't think it even looks that nice. To each his own though.

Amazinggrace
March 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I tried a hairstyle similar o this on my daughter. It was very cute, and lasted for two days. The problem was, you can not remove the little elastics.

I ended up using a very sharp pair of scissors to cut off each band. She didn't have any damage from it, but it took over an hour to style; and over two hours to cut out each band with out cutting her hair.

Kira94
March 5th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Woah, that is interesting. Not entirely sure of my opinion on it, but wow, that looks really neat!

MeowScat
March 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM
WOW!!! That is amazing, I can't imagine how much time that took. I think I saw something like that on YouTube but it wasn't nearly that intricate.

I'd love to see someone here try it and post pics. I'd end up making a giant rats nest. I can barely make a decent English braid.

Thanks for posting that, it's really cool!
:cool:

Ocelan
March 5th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't ever do that with elastics, but if there were a way to have some kind of "melting away in the shower" seal type of thing, it would be better. Not sure if that style would suit me anyway unless if it was covering a big bun with that sort of...net?

Siiri
March 5th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Maybe you could use ribbon to replace the elastics? They would be less damaging, and easier to take out.

LissaJane
March 5th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Maybe you could use ribbon to replace the elastics? They would be less damaging, and easier to take out.

And I think that could look really cool too.

A lot of responses about the damaging elastics.... would those "safe"/"no tear" elastics cause the same damage?

ylime
March 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM
a fellow 9gagger :P

i saw this too and was tempted to try it... but oh the damage taking them out would cause :/

Tisiloves
March 5th, 2012, 02:21 AM
That is an awesome hair veil. :bowtome:

Might not be too bad damage/taking out wise with mini claw clips.

-j-
March 5th, 2012, 02:48 AM
WOW, pretty cool hairstyle :)

^
Mini claw clips is not a bad idea! Although you would need quite many :)

Tisiloves
March 5th, 2012, 02:53 AM
You can get job lots off ebay, unfortunately claw clips of any kind are on the long list of hair accessories that my hair eats/destroys/spits out.

pepperminttea
March 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Cool! I'd be interested to see it with ribbon, too. :) Shame the comments are so asinine.

Blackfire
March 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I use to do my hair like that before it got curly..... Miss those days man.

Amber_Maiden
March 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Very interesting looking- that's for sure!

Madora
March 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Yes, it is hair veiling..or lattice work. It was a sort of avant guard style at trendy salons back in the 70s. It required a hair stylist..not a do it yourself style..although I've read of a few people who managed some kind of facsimilie. You need thick hair to really carry it off...and some pretty skilled finger dexterity to get the sections just right. Very striking when done correctly!

Maelyssa
March 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM
That is soo cool! Wish I could tell you the name.

Maelyssa
March 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Never mind, I see it's already mentioned that it's hair veiling.

Egana
March 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM
It looks interesting, but not very pretty - I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for me - I like soft, pretty, romantic hairstyles... this might be a cool way for a rougher, more edgy look, though, if your going out to a club or a concert? - I might used neon bands or something to give it a little more colorful interest...

littleizz
March 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM
It's a lattice! I can't find instructions with a Google search, but it's really super simple. You just make a bunch of little ponies, then split them in half and make ponies with the left half of one and the right half of the other and continue to the end. It's kind of like a chain-link fence with hair :)

ouseljay
March 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM
:wail:This is really cool. There was something similar posted last year some time, except using just the top half of the hair and making it into a sort of snood, very pretty. A couple of people tried it, if I remember right, with varying levels of success. I wonder if I can find it... Edit: Found it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68869&highlight=smocking But the original picture is gone. :wail: People were calling it smocking, there's at least one tutorial linked in the thread.

HylianGirl
March 5th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Awesome! If anyone needs a video on how to do it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qRrFIKbMDo&feature=plcp&context=C32a49a6UDOEgsToPDskIxK3AQJGsdcDI-BeYpniyT

Not the exact same style, but you can get the idea =)

MasCat
March 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Horsie hairstyle! :cheese:

It makes me think of dressage horses :)

heidi w.
March 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I imagine to get the evenness of the spacing, it'd be a big help to have a second person doing this for you. I believe this may be quite difficult to achieve on one's own. To me it looks a bit like a kind of weave. I don't know the name, but I've seen this idea done before.

That lady has a lot of hair to work with, that's for sure. Because hair in a "style" means hair gets a bit shorter in the look of overall length once styled as compared to pre-style.

heidi w.

rock007junkie
March 5th, 2012, 09:35 AM
That is actually really cool. Wish I had time to do something like that though

heidi w.
March 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Awesome! If anyone needs a video on how to do it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qRrFIKbMDo&feature=plcp&context=C32a49a6UDOEgsToPDskIxK3AQJGsdcDI-BeYpniyT

Not the exact same style, but you can get the idea =)

Oooo...a curling iron! The dude in the background shaking his coat off, that was funny. This lady also has a young kid and found the time to figure this out! I hope she had a fabulous birthday.

heidi w.

einna
March 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
After over a year at LHC it still blows my mind how many different things one can do with hair! :D

Seeshami
March 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
We use to do it way back in middle school. We didn't do all the hair though. Just a few rows of the "net" for a head band type look. We always cut the elastics out very carefully.

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
The hair do is pretty. I don't know the name.

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I see someone's already linked to LaDollyVita33's video of how to do this. It looks fantastic but there's no way I'd have the arm strength or coordination to pull this off. Not to mention my lack of straight hair.

Lady Neeva
March 6th, 2012, 03:47 PM
It reminds me of a net. I saw a mini version of that once in an American Girl book...

ouseljay
March 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I was watching Lost Girl last night, and the main character had a mini version of this at one point. It kind of amused me to see.

may1em
March 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I like it! Not my style, but I do like it.

Rhodugune
March 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
It's very pretty, haven't seen it done on a person before, that is one of the braids I think of as a horse braid. :p
I used to do it on my pony's mane all the time, when I was growing up.

I might try it tomorrow on my horse, for old times sake. :D
If I do, there will be pics! :cheese:

Tressie
March 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
That is so pretty! It looks slightly medievel. Thanks for sharing! :flower: