PDA

View Full Version : Sooo tempted to cut off all my progress...

icallitbliss
March 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'm seriously frustrated with my hair right now, especially when I don't blowdry it. It's starting to get to that point where it's getting all flippy/curly in the most random areas! It's driving me nuts. There are no styling options to make it look good.

I've also noticed that when I air-dry my hair looks greasier and just all around gross.

Here's a picture of me now, so you can see the horror of what I'm dealing with:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo13.jpg

I keep thinking that it's flipping out because it's at so many different layers right now, so nothing's laying on top of it to weigh it down. As well as the absence of major length. I just don't remember it being this unmanageable last time I had a pixie. Could be because I've had two trims (front included) since I got this cut in August, and maybe my stylist just messed it up.

So, my options are, cut off my stupid WINGS and make it so it's even (but shorter), OR just wait it out...which is proving harder day by day. :/

Tisiloves
March 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Wait it out, if it really bugs you try taping down with some aloe vera gel or something. It's called the "awkward growing out stage" for a reason. You would not believe how many times this week I have nearly buzzed off my undercut again. Just ignore it and it'll go away.

Look adorable baby sloths:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mAGQAw3Oc

:D

Falcore
March 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hang in there! Growing out from short is never an easy road, there are those stages that just make you want to give up.

If blow drying makes you feel better and makes your hair behave/less oily looking you could use it to style it on a cooler setting, perhaps? Just until you hair has more length to weigh it down. Alternatively you could use scarves, hats etc to cover the flips and curls to get you through this stage.

Hope this helps :)

lostchyld
March 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM
When I was at that length, I got a haircut any time I FELT ugly. I made sure the stylist knew I was growing my hair and went through several different cuts getting to chin length.

I got lucky in my hair and never had to blow dry for it to look good, so long as it had a decent shape, but I supportFalcore's statement that if that's what you have to do to feel good about your hair, then do it. Trim the damage out later when you have longer hair.

Cocoa_Crema
March 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I think you should wait it out. Be patient.

mz_butterfly
March 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I think a good way to change the way the hair lays is to let it grow out a little bit. It is at an awkward stage and that is the stage that gets most of us and causes us to cut. If you give it some time the hair will lay better and you will probably be able to work through the awkwardness and grow it.

kittengirl
March 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I came from having my hair that length. I hated it every single day, and it looked awful all the time. Now I"m at shoulder length and I'm so glad I didn't cut it. It will look better eventually. Try a wide cloth headband, that's what I did. Remember though, no one else will ever think it looks as awful as you think it does. I was in despair over mine and everyone else seemed to think it looked okay.

Acid
March 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
i dont know if this a major sin here or anything but you could always get clip in extensions and blend them in as your hair looks just long enough to cover them and look natural

auroraclio
March 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I had to heat style from pixie to shoulder, there was no way I was leaving the house with my hair naturally dried. It always would flip out on the right side of my head and flip under on the left.

Not the most LHC friendly advice, but now that it's longer I can deal with the damage and trim it off.

Part of the awkward stages is just getting through them the best you can, even if you need to pull out a flat iron to deal with unruly bits.

Macaroni
March 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM
The problem with cutting it now is that you'll never get past this stage.

I'd invest in cute headbands and slick those sticky-out bits behind my ears.

France Luxe has a beautiful selection:

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/Headbands/Headbands.html

icallitbliss
March 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I ended up cutting it myself. I kinda feel bad, but at the same time I don't. My stylist had previously tried to shape it into the beginnings of an a-line bob, and I think it was growing out weird...so I cut off what length I had and tried to make it all even.

Here's a pictures of what I did:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo14.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo15.jpg

As you can see, it's laying flatter now. I'm gonna go get it evened out tomorrow and then after that I'm swearing off scissors forever. At least I hope.

Lissandria
March 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
There is nothing wrong in blow drying if that helps you to be happier with your hair in this awkward stage. Hang in there, you will be glad you persevered. I think your hair will look lovely longer :flower:

Lissandria
March 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I ended up cutting it myself. I kinda feel bad, but at the same time I don't. My stylist had previously tried to shape it into the beginnings of an a-line bob, and I think it was growing out weird...so I cut off what length I had and tried to make it all even.

Here's a pictures of what I did:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo14.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo15.jpg

As you can see, it's laying flatter now. I'm gonna go get it evened out tomorrow and then after that I'm swearing off scissors forever. At least I hope.

Looks good!

Mesmerise
March 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM
As long as you are happy, that's what counts!!

Before I saw that you'd already cut it, I was going to suggest clips and product to help keep your hair in place. The thing with awkward stages is that we all grow out of them eventually ;).

HappyHair87
March 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I definitely agree with waiting it out.

Try having a tightly curly fro that shrinks up 75% on the sides, 50% in the back and like 10% of it's length in the front and crown!:laugh: as it grows out I'm loving the shape a lot more...but I can't WAIT to have more weight to it! Esp on the sides! You'll see...give it 3 months:agree:

cindy58
March 5th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Patience is what you need the most of when you're growing out a short cut. There isn't any way to skip that, unfortunately. I say, wait it out. You have some choices along the way, you can decide to just let it grow, or have a little shaping done. Initially, I did have some trims, but then I realized I wasn't making much progress. So I didn't trim for 13 months. Then I could see some results!

I don't see a problem with gentle blow drying your hair to help you get over the rough spots.

Silverbrumby
March 5th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I definitely agree with waiting it out.

Try having a tightly curly fro that shrinks up 75% on the sides, 50% in the back and like 10% of it's length in the front and crown!:laugh: as it grows out I'm loving the shape a lot more...but I can't WAIT to have more weight to it! Esp on the sides! You'll see...give it 3 months:agree:
The trim looks good. Forever 21 has a good selection of hats, headbands, etc
Super cute in pearl, fabric, metal, flowers etc.

MeowScat
March 5th, 2012, 02:00 AM
You did a good job cutting, now put the scissors away for a few months. It's going to be chin-length before you know it!

I agree with hairtoy usage. Pretty clips with designs, thin scarves, funky headbands, etc.

When my hair is unhappy, a little oomph from a hairtoy can make all the difference in my confidence level.

PolythenePam
March 5th, 2012, 02:33 AM
When I grew my hair out from short I grew the front of my hair first. I wore it in kind of a pompadour. It made growing out the sides and back much easier and it looked stylish. I think you can strategically choose your haircuts to avoid some of the awkwardness of letting all your hair grow at the same time.

Amber_Maiden
March 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Wait it out.

CarpeDM
March 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
i dont know if this a major sin here or anything but you could always get clip in extensions and blend them in as your hair looks just long enough to cover them and look natural

Or you could have some fun with a playful wig when things are getting really annoying, try to hang in there!

Ishje
March 5th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Look adorable baby sloths:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mAGQAw3Oc

:D

well...that certainly worked for me XD

I also think you should try to use hairbands and clips, and if it works to blowdry or straighten, then why not?
growing out from pixy seems the most difficult for me, and as soon as your hair is a bob you can probably style it in different way's :)

OrganicJewel
March 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
now that you've trimmed it (looks good, btw) you've got to just give it time to let it grow. Tuck it behind your ears, use bobby pins. If I were you I would try to go the entire summer without even considering a trim :)

ladyshep
March 5th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Yep, wait it out. Awkward stages is the hardest part of growing out hair. You can do it. This too shall pass. I think your hair style looks good. Those flips are the style.

ladyshep
March 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I also wanted to mention, there is nothing wrong with blowdrying your hair for a bit.

lapushka
March 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I wanted to say, use the blowdryer if it bugs you. If you use a blowdryer wisely, it's not going to permanently damage, or otherwise disfigure your hair. Really. :p ;) But now I've noticed you already cut your hair. Oh well... :shrug: At least you're happier for it. :)

Babyfine
March 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Your trim looks good. I've grown out 3 pixies, so I feel your pain. In those days headbands, barrettes, and bobby pins were my friend. I think a little blowdrying wouldn't hurt at this stage if you don't put it on high heat.