PDA

View Full Version : "Why don't you ever wear your hair down?"

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Well, because I love updos, buns, and braided buns. That's part of the reason I am letting my hair grow long and longer! Another reason is that it keeps people from sticking their fingers in my hair. I get so tired of being asked this question.

AnnaJamila
March 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
lol, I get that question aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time. For two reasons! :p

spidermom
March 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I almost never get this question, but to tell you the truth - I'm pretty tired of not being able to wear it down. It tangles like crazy if I do!

Amber_Maiden
March 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM
yep, I get that question- because I wear my hair down for pictures, and then people ask me "You looked so good in that picture- you should wear your hair down more!" uhhhh... no.....

Madora
March 4th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I've never been asked that one either.

My evil mind would love to instantly give these folks long, waist length hair..and then let them deal with all the hassles of tangled tresses! Take THAT!!:magic:

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Not to mention wearing it down at work isn't very safe. I get it caught in filing cabinets, shut it in drawers, nearly break my neck when I stand up if it's caught behind my back. Not to mention the dreadlike tangles underneath near my neck. I also like wearing it up because you can see the little curly spirals around the nape of my neck!! It also freaks me out a little bit when I'm in public and people stare. 3a/b is a rarity around here and long curly hair is usually flatironed within an inch of its life or you see beachy waves/curls that don't look quite natural with all the split ends or crunch looking ends.

Vanilla
March 4th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I hear this too. What's the point of having long hair if you never wear it down?

torrilin
March 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
If someone is silly enough to ask that question... it's a good sign that they're not very close to me, and probably never will be.

The folks who know me well know my hair is fine, floaty, and gets into everything. And they know I like doing mechanical stuff, riding bikes, and generally being super active. If my hair is short, it's always in the way. But long and put up? I'm HAPPY :D That also tends to really show, so most strangers don't say anything.

dwell_in_safety
March 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I've yet to be asked by anyone but my roommate, and once I explained it to her enough times she finds it weird when it's down to dry. :)

PixxieStix
March 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I've never been asked that one either.

My evil mind would love to instantly give these folks long, waist length hair..and then let them deal with all the hassles of tangled tresses! Take THAT!!:magic:

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, you had me laughing out loud at that!

I don't think people out there realize that in order for your hair to look good down on the special occasions you wish to wear it that way, you need to protect it by wearing it up most of the time, especially if your lengths are beyond BSL, otherwise hair will get caught by and in everything!

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, you had me laughing out loud at that!

I don't think people out there realize that in order for your hair to look good down on the special occasions you wish to wear it that way, you need to protect it by wearing it up most of the time, especially if your lengths are beyond BSL, otherwise hair will get caught by and in everything!

Ha. Not to mention all in the foods I cook. Hair pie anyone?? umm....maybe that's not the best example!! :eyebrows:

Mina17
March 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I hardly ever wear my hair down because the main reason I'm growing my hair is to be able to wear hair sticks and forks.

Sillage
March 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I get this all the time and my hair isn't even APL yet!

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I hardly ever wear my hair down because the main reason I'm growing my hair is to be able to wear hair sticks and forks.

Same here. And I get asked, "Then why grow it long if you only wear it up?" Well, you can't braid short hair and do other styles that you can with long hair.

Long_hair_bear
March 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I wear my hair down once a week to show off my length (vain I know) so I never get asked that question.

cwarren
March 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I've been asked this a few times and my hair isn't even that long! I think that people just don't understand long hair needs. Depending on the texture, wearing it down will cause awful tangles, breakage and other damage. I just tell them that I love updos and call it a day.

Vanille_
March 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I would love to wear it down. But because my front face framing layers are only around my shoulder combined with the fact that my hair isn't very very long, I hate that it won't stay behind my head. I don't like how so much of it falls around my shoulders. It just doesn't look right to me.

Also, I live in Louisiana. It's almost always too hot to wear it down outside.

VikingVampChick
March 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Ha. Not to mention all in the foods I cook. Hair pie anyone?? umm....maybe that's not the best example!! :eyebrows:

ROFLMFAO.....

Kitsu
March 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM
because my hair jumps out of my head magically? Seriously i find rogue hairs everywhere, if i had it down a lot I'd have none left on my head!

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I don't get asked that I guess everyone who knows me knows I will take it down and then its right back up.

pepperminttea
March 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Oh goodness, and then when they do find a hair - they tug it out and it just keeps coming like a string of handkerchiefs out of a magician's hat! (And all the while they're thinking "Eww!" and I'm thinking "Hey, my hair's gotten long!" :o)

luckyduck
March 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Yesterday, I had my hair down drying. I needed to run the vacuum, so I thought I would just try it without putting my hair up. I lasted about 10 minutes then I grabbed the nearest clip did an Artemis bun and kept going unhindered by my now TBL hair! So, yea, my hair is rarely down, my life is much to active!

AspenSong
March 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I only get asked this if someone has seen my hair down and sees how long it is - because with 1a/i/f hair...my nearly hip length hair in a bun, is a pretty small bun. I've seen many photos of the lovely ladies here, with APL hair, that's thick and their bun is twice the size of mine. lol. So I don't think anyone usually seems to realize it's very long and just figures I'm an ol' schoolmarm and doesn't care. However, once the hair has been seen down I do get asked this and I just reply, to protect it. I have attempted to wear it down a few times lately and I usually regret it because it's caught in everything. It's like having spiderweb for hair! I figure if anyone who asks me, had to deal with that...they'd keep it up as well!!
In the end, my hair is for me anyway so I don't really give a flying patoot! ;)

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM
It's always the people who ask this who have the least idea of what having long, tangly hair really involves. I get this from my BF, and and when I finally relent he complains the hair tickles him. I tell him to imagine having his face and neck be tickled like that all day long and then see if he still wants to fault me for wearing it up out of the way. Sigh.

Tota
March 6th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Noone asked me this yet. I am surrounded by people who all strongly believe that

long hair = a lot of work

so I think to them it's normal that I wear my hair up as much as I do.

The questions I get very often are Why don't you cut your hair already? and Why on earth do you even want long hair? Again, because they think that long hair means too much work and trouble and yadayadayada ...

pink.sara
March 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I can't wait until someone asks this.... can't even do a cinnibun at the moment.

Used to get it all the time, especially if I took a stick out and dropped a bun and they realised how long it was... *sigh*

ButterCream
March 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I only get asked this if someone has seen my hair down and sees how long it is - because with 1a/i/f hair...my nearly hip length hair in a bun, is a pretty small bun. I've seen many photos of the lovely ladies here, with APL hair, that's thick and their bun is twice the size of mine. lol. So I don't think anyone usually seems to realize it's very long and just figures I'm an ol' schoolmarm and doesn't care. However, once the hair has been seen down I do get asked this and I just reply, to protect it. I have attempted to wear it down a few times lately and I usually regret it because it's caught in everything. It's like having spiderweb for hair! I figure if anyone who asks me, had to deal with that...they'd keep it up as well!!
In the end, my hair is for me anyway so I don't really give a flying patoot! ;)

This, this and this!! We are hairtwins, lol;)
My bun is PUNY compared to shorter haired peoples buns in here also!
I swirl my hair around and around and... all I get is a rosebud in comparison, lol:o
I just hope it gets a littlebit bigger when it is longer and my layers are grown out to catch up more with the length...:D

ETA:
I have been asked this question too. People just don`t understand, it is more "modern" or "atractive" to have it short(er), so I am looked at as old fashioned and...boring.
Oh well, I no care :poot: (that is how a not giving a flying patoot, looks like to me :eyebrows:)

sugar&nutmeg
March 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I'm 58 yo, and I do wear my hair (just beyond BSL) down occasionally when I'm not actually going to be doing anything. Like, to church. People probably want to ask "why on earth are you wearing your hair down, old lady?" :)

I do wear it up most of the time. But that doesn't mean I 'might as well' cut it short. I have many reasons for keeping my hair long. Being able to wear it loose doesn't even make the Top Ten.

newbeginning
March 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I hear this too. What's the point of having long hair if you never wear it down?

I get this question a lot too. It drives me nuts. Sometimes I try to explain that I wear it up a lot to protect it and sometimes I don't even bother trying to explain.

Bedhead
March 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Well, because I love updos, buns, and braided buns. That's part of the reason I am letting my hair grow long and longer! Another reason is that it keeps people from sticking their fingers in my hair. I get so tired of being asked this question.

Ignorance is not always a virtue. :cheese:

It's simply them going, "If I had such amazing hair as you, I would flaunt it and wear it down ALL the time... and brush it, and flip it, and let it bloooow in the wind!" That part's a compliment.... Then there's the selfish part of them just wanting to see and stare at your glorious locks. That parts a compliment too.... So I guess, all in all, just take it as a compliment.

Seeshami
March 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
because The naughty mess is notorious for face devouring.

ladyshep
March 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
LOL! Yes! Love the updos and braids!

I have extremely long hair as well, and I am sick of the comments and getting my hair caught in things. LOL

gthlvrmx
March 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I got asked at the hospital before and i just said "to protect my hair from damage". Simple. They were amazed at how long it was when i told them, my bun is so small on top of my head. >.<

may1em
March 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Because you kids get grabby, that's why. Even my kindergartners can reach it if I'm standing up. If my hair is up, I make it through the school day without my hair being touched. Bad enough I get poked and patted by at least six kids every day.