PDA

View Full Version : I am sick of baby hairs!

sarahramen
March 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have hairs at every length sticking out everywhere, but the ones that bother me most are the 1"-3" one along my part. I have very wiry, coarse hair that until a certain length sticks straight up, making the hairs extremely noticeable. I know it's not just me, a few different people have commented on it (not in a nasty way, maybe teasing, but not mean). A few years ago I thought it was damage/breakage, but I take very good care of my hair , what with gentle detangling, oiling, CO etc. They don't seem like breakage, as the ends are tapered, not split. So, does anyone have and tips for making them lie down, or ways of making hair more sleek and behave better?

Sillage
March 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Tell me about it sister! L'oreal EverStyle leave in cream (in the tube) blended with some oil or shea butter helps but does not cure my baby hair flyaways, as does plain rosehip seed oil, tamanu and shea. If you ever find the magic bullet, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

spidermom
March 4th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Styling wax, pomade, or putty. A little goes a v e r y long way.

PixxieStix
March 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I've taken to occasionally parting my hair in a slightly different spot to hopefully make the hair on top of the baby hairs force them down! Sometimes it works better than others, and I went out and purchased my first bottle of hairspray in about a year. I also have some putty that is supposed to be amazing but I haven't quite figured out how to use it, of course that could be because I almost never use product. Looks like time to practice on my fiance!

rowie
March 4th, 2012, 04:02 PM
There are so many styling products you can use to tame those baby hairs. However, if you are like me (who does not like to use styling products), my suggestion is for when you decide to shower. When you are showering, make sure that your final rinse is really cold water that you can handle, and then let it air dry literally. It is really important that you let the hairs drip dry on its own and avoid touching your hair. I don't even let my hairs touch a towel, and the only time I will touch my hair is to let it hang over my shirt. Sure enough by the time my hairs dry, it is super shiny soft, and the baby hairs blend in really well with my waves.

This is what works for me if I want to go product free. I know that what works for me might not work for others, but at least if you try this method, it is at least a safer and gentler alternative without the use of styling products. Good luck!

spidermom
March 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I use styling putty (wax or pomade) by stroking a forefinger across the top, then over my baby hair fly-aways. One application lays most of them down. Some stubborn wirey hairs (the white ones) require 2 or 3 repetitions. Then don't touch! Once you run your fingers, a comb, or a brush through your hair, those fly-aways will sproing back up.

sarahramen
March 4th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I tried switching up my part and it surprisingly worked pretty well! I always part my hair in the center, and there definitely were less stick-uppies when I parted it in different areas. Next time I will try the no touching while drying. The few times I have managed this my hair has turned out quite wavy, so we shall see. My mom has some putty that I could borrow, does conditioner only get it out?

uptosomeone
March 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have those hairs too, but since my hair is fine and fairly translucent they don't bother me, I just laugh at them :D when I do want them to flatten down I use putty and it works well. Since i clarify I've never tried to figure out if it washes of with CO or a mild conditioner though.

spidermom
March 5th, 2012, 11:08 AM
My mom has some putty that I could borrow, does conditioner only get it out?

I don't know; I'm a CWCer. Diluted shampoo gets it out.

Kirry-Folk
March 5th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have a ton of them, too, and they're obnoxious because they're the prettiest most saturated red hairs on my head, so they stick out against the rest of my subdued color.

As others have said styling wax/pomade/hairspray works wonders, and I've chosen to go that route since my place of employment has cracked down on how we wear our hair. HOWEVER, wearing a bandana, or a silk/satin scarf does a MUCH better job at keeping them down if you tie it while your hair is still wet/damp. They'll blend in much better (and also be very shiny), and won't make a reappearance unless you're either rained on or sweating from vigorous exercise. I don't know if wearing scarf/bandana/kerchief for enhanced shine and sleekness ever caught on, but this alone has been perhaps the most invaluable trick I've learned since I became interested in growing hair.

LauraDay
March 5th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have so many but I've been shedding quite majorly past few months and alot of it (i assume) is new hair growth.. yay for the hair growth but boo or the annoyigly bad looking little hairs!!

thelambscottage
March 5th, 2012, 11:26 AM
There are so many styling products you can use to tame those baby hairs. However, if you are like me (who does not like to use styling products), my suggestion is for when you decide to shower. When you are showering, make sure that your final rinse is really cold water that you can handle, and then let it air dry literally. It is really important that you let the hairs drip dry on its own and avoid touching your hair. I don't even let my hairs touch a towel, and the only time I will touch my hair is to let it hang over my shirt. Sure enough by the time my hairs dry, it is super shiny soft, and the baby hairs blend in really well with my waves.

This is what works for me if I want to go product free. I know that what works for me might not work for others, but at least if you try this method, it is at least a safer and gentler alternative without the use of styling products. Good luck!
Do you comb your hair at all when you get out of the shower, or just wait for it to dry and then comb later. Mine takes like a day and a half to dry.

hellucy
March 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I feel for you... My parting is exactly the same - I have loads of 1 & 2" baby hairs that stick straight up I also have lots of 3, 4 & 5" hairs which stick up & bend over slightly, then there is the rest of my hair which is layers between chin & shoulder length.
I don't like using styling products as I hate the 'fixed in place' feeling & no matter how little I use my hair feels either sticky or greasy - I have found that baby oil on damp hair does help slightly to hold down most of the sticky up bits, also resisting touching my hair helps. I'm happy to have the new growth after a big shed last autumn but just wish it would hurry up & get long enough to weigh itself down.

Mairéad
March 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM
My stick up straight, too. Most of mine are from hairs getting caught in my glasses. I leave in conditioner helps mine a ton.

earthnut
April 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I have this problem too.

Oiling them helps a lot. I find olive oil to be better for this purpose than coconut oil, perhaps any less penetrating oil would work too.

I've read that vinegar rinses help smooth down the hair follicle (similar to using cold water) so I want to try that too.

MaryMarx
April 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm sick of them too. Atleast the ones in the front. I've finally grown my fringe out, and now I have e anew one! :(