PDA

View Full Version : Do your eyebrows match your hair?

mzBANGBANG
March 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Just curious how many feel the need to pencil in eyebrows to get them to match their hair color?

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/1.jpg
^^ my natural brows. I always feel like they're very translucent.

My eyebrows are super light because my hair is pretty light, I typically pencil them in with a light brown pencil just to add more definition, otherwise my face feels washed out (edit: much like in my avatar pic!). For whatever reason, I love bold eyebrows. Or, as I've noticed... I love everything I don't have. lol

Random note, since I've joined LHC I have been paying more attention to all of my hair. I recently went for a thin arched eyebrow as opposed to my usually pretty natural, thick brows. I think I felt like if I couldn't play with my hair as much, I'd give my eyebrows a shot. :D

rock007junkie
March 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
At one point I dyed my hair red for a while. One of the reasons I stopped doing that is because my eyebrows are really dark and one of my pet peeves is seeing people with really light hair and dark eyebrows. It just looks a little unatrual to me. Whenever I tried to get my eyebrows to match they were so dark that the color would never take.

Vanilla
March 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
My eyebrows are platinum blonde, way lighter than my natural hair color. I should probably pencil them in more often, but I rarely wear makeup.

When I do wear makeup, I pencil them in to my hair color.

Sillage
March 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
My eyebrows are a little lighter than my hair. I used to darken them but now I don't... I really prefer the softer look I have with slightly lighter brows.

Amber_Maiden
March 4th, 2012, 01:17 PM
My eyebrows are a bit darker then my hair, and I don't really mind.

SakuraGirl
March 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I naturally hair really dark hair however my eyebrows are quite pale in comparison. I always pencil mine in. I also like the retro look of bold eye brows and red lipstick so I think that also influences my pencilling!!

mzBANGBANG
March 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
That's the funny part about me penciling mine in... I started a "blonde demarcation" thread a week or so ago complaining about the different tones in my hair... my hair is SO light at the ends but pretty dark at the roots... I'm not sure how my eyebrows should even look! I'm pretty sure the color pencil I use is golden enough to not make me look bottle blond but then again maybe I'm not the best at judging myself!

mzBANGBANG
March 4th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I naturally hair really dark hair however my eyebrows are quite pale in comparison. I always pencil mine in. I also like the retro look of bold eye brows and red lipstick so I think that also influences my pencilling!!

aha, yes the retro look. Glad I'm not the only one! I often do the white eyeshadow, golden/smokey look... bold eyebrows and red lipstick. Feels like me. :)

sugarpixie10988
March 4th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have darkish blonde hair and my eyebrows are dark brown. Doesn't bother me, I kind of like it.

phabieau
March 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM
My eyebrows are very faint, but about the color of my hair. To be honest, I forget about them and have never attempted to pencil them in or anything, even when I wear more make-up.

whitedove
March 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I have white eyebrows and ash blonde hair. But age has started to kick in and I am getting white hairs.

I tried dying them but the colours were always too dark for me. I now use a pencil lightly. When my hair gets lighter I think I will stop.

GaJunebug
March 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
At the moment, yes they do match. ( I haven't stepped foot into a salon since last June when I had a six hour hair disaster so my hair isn't looking its best at the moment.)

One of my odd hang-ups is if I get something done to my hair in a salon, I don't want it to be so drastic that my eyebrows look out of place. I've even asked the stylists to keep what they're doing to my hair in the same family color-wise so everything will blend.

Crazy? Probably.

coldclarity
March 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Mine match the lighter parts at the front of my hair. The reason I stopped dying my hair originally (about four years ago) was because I wanted to stop wearing make up all the time, and I was fed up of having to colour in my eyebrows to better match my hair.

Shepherdess
March 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
My eyebrows are a tad darker than my hair. :)

lostchyld
March 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM
My eyebrows are a pretty prominent feature on my face. If I didn't like their natural shape so well, I'd probably do something to tone them down a little.

They do match my hair pretty well, though.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6953393337_e7c413874b_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlynbeth/6953393337/)
Makeup (http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlynbeth/6953393337/) by Em Beth (http://www.flickr.com/people/merlynbeth/), on Flickr

mzBANGBANG
March 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I now pluck mine everyday since I changed the shape! But I'm one of those people who likes little obsessions. :) or anything that let's me not obsess about my hair (er, on my head. haha)

PixxieStix
March 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
My eyebrows are a dark/medium brown color whereas my hair is naturally a medium auburn, they have never quite matched and while I do pencil in my brows a little bit right now it's because they are thin towards the eyes from years and years of trichotillomania, and I try to pencil them to look like them, not to match my hair.

vanity_acefake
March 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
My eyebrows are very dark brown/black.
My natural hair colour is mousy brown.
People used to tease me that I dyed my eyebrows. :)

Bedhead
March 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Dark brown eyebrows and fairly vibrant auburn hair has resulted in people accusing me of lying when I say I don't dye my hair, and some have gotten quite irate when I didn't give in too - very strange. :shrug:

boomtownrat
March 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Even before my hair started turning silver, my dark brown eyebrows were several shades darker than my hair, which was sort of an auburn/chestnut colour. Every once in a while I do some feather-strokes of a silver pencil in my eyebrows, which I blend. It doesn't make my eyebrows silver, it just gives them a little definition and a subtle hint of shimmer. Usually I don't do anything to my eyebrows but clean up the shape a little with some tweezers.

ladyshep
March 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I think your eyebrows look good the way they are.

blondie9912
March 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM
My eyebrows match my hair colour exactly, actually :) They maaaay be half a shade lighter, IMO, but my mom says they match perfectly.

einna
March 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
My eyebrows are slightly lighter and redder than my hair (warm blonette). I think yours look good :)

ladonna
March 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
My eyebrows are almost black my hair is some shade of dark brown, ive been changinging the color for about 15 years so I'm not sure about what my hair would look like naturally.

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
My brows are darker then my hair color I like it saves me from having to pencil them in.

Five of Five
March 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
You definitely suit both looks, but for different reasons. Your natural colour looks soft and subtle, rather than washed out, while your darker look looks more bold.

I have a similar natural hair colour to you, but my eyebrows appear to be several shades darker. A lot of the hairs are actually invisible (platinum blonde), but because my eyebrows are very thick and have a range of blonde colours in them, the darkest hairs take over and it looks like they are overall a very dark blonde. Some people take that as evidence that I'm not a natural blonde, but I just explain to them that eyebrow hairs are younger and don't see as much sun as my head hair, and that seems to satisfy them :).

patienceneeded
March 4th, 2012, 03:35 PM
My brows are very light brown, my hair tends to red-brown (auburn). I do sometimes use brow powder to darken them slightly. I did theater for years and was always ordered to pencil some eyebrows on my face, under the stage lights my eyebrows become invisible!

Chetanlaiho
March 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
All my body hair including eyebrows is pure black. My hair on the other hand, is brown xD (even though people seem to say it is black, it's really not even really dark brown O_o)

Kaelee
March 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
At one point I dyed my hair red for a while. One of the reasons I stopped doing that is because my eyebrows are really dark and one of my pet peeves is seeing people with really light hair and dark eyebrows. It just looks a little unatrual to me. Whenever I tried to get my eyebrows to match they were so dark that the color would never take.

Dang, lol, my NATURAL hair color is light/medium ("mouse") brown and my natural brow color is just shy of black.

The carpet never matched the drapes!

Now I dye my hair red with henna, so they really don't match (though they're not AS far apart since my hair is darker than it used to be.)

I started darkening my brows in (they're a little sparse in places) but they looked a little TOO dark (I used an almost black shadow) so I got some brown eyebrow powder to use from now on.

BrightEyes
March 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
My eyebrows are dark brown and my natural hair is dark ash blonde. They are quite a bit darker than my hair, especially since I highlight. But I like it.

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM
My eyebrows nearly don't exist. They are too light, too sparse, and really look invisible. I always got accused of shaving them off if I wasn't wearing makeup to darken them. I went last November and had eyebrows and upperlid eyeliner tattooed on. I am very happy because now people ask me where I get my eyebrows waxed/shaped/threaded because they look 'perfect'. Most days I just wear mascara and blush and I'm out the door.

dwell_in_safety
March 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM
My hair is a slightly brassy, slightly golden brown. My eyebrows, on the other hand, are extremely thick, wiry, and black. They're annoying to keep looking trim, but their texture does match some of the hairs on my head.

A. Correira
March 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I feel that my eyebrows well match my natural color, but anytime I color my hair, I freak out and have to use pencil or powder to match. haha

UltraBella
March 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
ALL the hair on my body pretty much matches perfectly. My eyebrow hair is the same color but I have permanent makeup, so that's about a half shade darker than my natural color, just so my eyebrows are a bit more defined. I like a strong brow. I have permanent eyeliner as well.

holothuroidea
March 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I've never touched my brows.

My brows match my hair color and my hair is a very in-between color so even when I used to dye it, it was never a big deal.

Eyebrow fashion is one of those annoyingly cyclical things. In times where lighter eyebrows are popular, I have had people compliment me on the shape of my brows and even ask me to pluck their eyebrows for them. Then the bold eyebrows come back in style and people tell me I pluck too much and need to use pencil. lol! Truth be told, I like my natural eyebrows and would never change them.

OP, you do suit both styles. I prefer your natural brows, but I have a bias towards "natural beauty," which you certainly have a lot of!

sjshelt
March 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Mine are lighter than my hair! I have to wear make up to define them otherwise the outer third of my eyebrow would be non-existent!

speshe
March 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
All the hair on my body is light blonde. Unfortunately that means my eyebrows and eyelashes aren't really visible unless I wear make up. :mad:

auroraclio
March 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
My brows are naturally lighter than my hair, I fill them in with pencil they're so thin...

Mountaingrrl
March 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
My eyebrows are a shade or two darker than my hair, which is fine with me.

B-L
March 5th, 2012, 12:46 AM
My eyebrows are pretty dark. I could pencil them but I don't think it would made any difference.. :) They match my hair pretty perfectly. But I could never go really blond :P

icallitbliss
March 5th, 2012, 12:56 AM
My eyebrows are a couple shades lighter than my hair. They're more blonde-ish than the light ash brown/auburn I have on my head. I have to fill them in with pencil to look "normal".

sycamoreboutiqu
March 5th, 2012, 12:57 AM
No, not really since I am a henna redhead but they are light brown which is easy to fake.

I wish I hadn't plucked them so much years ago, as they are now too thin and the hairs no longer grow back. Don't think I have had to pluck a brow hair in 2 years. Just like under arm hair, it stops growing somewhere after your 50's. That is kind of nice.

Sammich
March 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM
My eyebrows at the moment are darker than my hair.

I think my natural hair colour are matched to my eyebrows though, a ashy dark browny black. :)

I'd like everything to match, so I sometimes pencil a little brown colour in.

Bagginslover
March 5th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Ive know natural blondes with naturally dark eyebrows, and my dad has dark brown hair, and blonde eyebrows, so all mixes are possible in nature ;) In fact, a regular customer at my old job had half blonde, and half brown brows, with corresponding blond streaks at her temples too, it was totally natural, and very striking.

Oksana
March 5th, 2012, 03:13 AM
My eyebrows are pretty much the same colour as my hair but most of the time I dye them darker as i think it gives more definition to my face.

This is a must in the summer because the sun bleaches my eyebrows platinum blonde and although I am a light blonde I tan very easily... White eyebrows and a golden tan looks ridiculous!

Noas
March 5th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I have thick black eyebrows with naturally light to medium chocolate hair colour. I like such a contrast, in all (colour) variations.

DaniVerde
March 5th, 2012, 04:06 AM
My eyebrows are black (or at least so dark brown that they look black, my forearm hair is blonde (to the point of being unnoticeable) and my head hair is...well, I don't know the color is English. It's a kind of very light brown with lots of blonde highlights and really a lot of red (especially in the sun). But in bad lighting it tends to look dark brown.

Hijack-what color would that be called?

Noas
March 5th, 2012, 04:23 AM
DaniVerde, i would say auburn?

Iolanthe13
March 5th, 2012, 04:26 AM
I've been shading mine in with a reddish-brown eyeshadow, to (sort of) match my red hair. It looks all right, I guess.

MonaLisa
March 5th, 2012, 05:08 AM
My eyebrows are completely black, and hair is much lighter and finer than that, but I don't mind, I like such eyebrows, and I plan on trying henna/indigo to darken hair :)

aster66
March 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Ooh interesting thread :)!

My eyebrows do not match my haircolor, not at all! My haircolor is sort of a dishwater blonde/ash blonde and my eyebrows are black and quite thick (as you can see in my album).

My mother told me that when I was little people would actually stop her on the street to ask and see if they were real :S. I still get comments about them and people are always convinced that I dye my hair. I used to dislike them but now I actually really appreaciate them because they're such a defining feature of my face :).

RedBlue
March 5th, 2012, 05:55 AM
My eyebrows are lighter than my natural hair color. My natural hair is a dark brown color and my eyebrows are an ashy medium brown color. The first time I colored my hair red, my mom (the stylist) dyed my eyebrows with the dye. It faded (the eyebrows) in a day.

oktobergoud
March 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mine don't! My eyebrows are my natural dark blonde.. a bit ashy. My hair is henna red, so something different! I did henna my eyebrows once but it hardly made any difference. I have also tried penciling them in, because I think matching eyebrows would be pretty.. but I just can't. It looks SO weird on and to me, it feels so unnatural? I don't know why, I don't even like my eyebrows right now :P

holothuroidea
March 5th, 2012, 06:57 AM
My eyebrows are black (or at least so dark brown that they look black, my forearm hair is blonde (to the point of being unnoticeable) and my head hair is...well, I don't know the color is English. It's a kind of very light brown with lots of blonde highlights and really a lot of red (especially in the sun). But in bad lighting it tends to look dark brown.

Hijack-what color would that be called?

It sounds like you have chameleon hair that can't fit into a color category. Welcome to the club! :laugh:

You could probably call it auburn. That's like the hazel of hair colors, a sort of everythingononehead color.

Egana
March 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I love the shape and color of my eyebrows - a little browner than my dark auburn hair (interestingly, my eyebrows and my freckles are the same color *grin*) but as I get older, my eyebrows are thinning. I do not wear makeup every day - but on the days I do wear makeup, I give my eyebrows a few swipes with my brown mascara to give them a bit of darkening to keep them in tune with the rest of my made-up features...

summergreen
March 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM
My eyebrows are waaaay darker than my hair - pretty much black - and my individual eyebrow hairs are thick (as in coarse texture). My hairs the darker end of mid brown and definitely not thick. Just couldn't be the other way round could it, grrrr.

millyaulait
March 5th, 2012, 07:38 AM
My eyebrows are far lighter & ashier than my hair color.

I dye them and use a warm, dark brown pencil/gel to match them up nicely.

aster66
March 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Mine don't! My eyebrows are my natural dark blonde.. a bit ashy. My hair is henna red, so something different! I did henna my eyebrows once but it hardly made any difference. I have also tried penciling them in, because I think matching eyebrows would be pretty.. but I just can't. It looks SO weird on and to me, it feels so unnatural? I don't know why, I don't even like my eyebrows right now :P

Maybe you could try using a little bit of matte light brown/grayish/taupish eyeshadow and a small flat angled shader brush (Hema sells them for a couple of euros) instead of an eyebrow pencil. Using eyeshadow instead of a pencil makes it look a lot more natural.

Hope this helps :).

elbow chic
March 5th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Nope, my eyebrows are sort of a dark ashy blond, I'd say. They look brown by comparison with my head but I don't think they really qualify.

dragaica
March 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Now yes- dark as my hair. I was blonde a while ago - and make it mach. I was red, and also maked them mach... on white skin seemed to be the only choice.

heidi w.
March 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I have to pencil some color on just for my eyebrows to be seen. Things have changed as time marched forward! LOL

heidi w.

Eleentje
March 5th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Mine are lighter than my hair color, so use powder to darken them a bit. I like them more when they match my hair color :D

LaceyNg
March 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
my hair is naturally a very light ash brown that i henna to a medium reddish color. my eyebrows for the most part are quite dark. the outer part of my brows are VERY blonde though, to the point that if i leave them as-is it looks like i only have 1/2 brows! so i lighten the inner part to match and then fill them all in with a dark blonde/ light brown color to add definition and make them a bit bigger.

RapunzelKat
March 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
My natural haircolor is dark/dishwater blonde, and my eyebrows and eyelashes are very very dark brown, pretty much black (I wear black mascara when I wear makeup). No one has ever commented on it, but I also have sparse eyelashes and thinnish brows, so perhaps people don't notice :D

My stylist once dyed my hair red when it was shorter, and gave me red eyebrows (they came out a much darker shade than my hair). I looked like I was born a redhead, it was awesome :D

Tia2010
March 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
My natural brow is an auburn-ish color and I usually do a dark chocolate wash over my hair but the red still shows through so I can get away with my natural brow color ...but I still prefer to either dye them or powder/pencil them in because I like a strong, defined brow.

jackie75
March 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM
My eyebrows are black, but my natural hair color is dark ash blonde.

I pluck, otherwise they go crazy!!

Piyo
March 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Mine are a bit darker than my natural hair color, sometimes they seem black to me, but I think they're really just a deep cool charcoal color. I've always had fairly prominent brows, and I keep 'em that way because I think it makes me eyes stand out.

I don't think they're a very suitable color for going blonde though, but people still thought it was my real color regardless. *shrug*

Nedertane
March 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM
They're pretty much an exact match, yeah. I'm pretty thankful that all of my non-head hair matches, because I know many light haired people for whom this is not the case, and they tend to get annoyed by it. I do pencil in some of my eyebrows, though, since I feel that it makes their natural shape a little better to see. Finding a brow pencil that matches, though, that's another story! :D

Coan-Teen
March 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Another blond with black eyebrows. :)

herdaughter77
March 5th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mine are dark brown. In the summer, they majorly contrast my hair, but right now my hair is just as dark as them.

1nuitblanche
March 5th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Just recently, I noticed that my hair has gotten as dark as my eyebrows. But, I like strong brows, so now I pencil them in to bring them out a little more.

Shesta
March 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
My hair color and brow color completely match and I never had to use tools to emphasize them. I feel lucky. :D

oktobergoud
March 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe you could try using a little bit of matte light brown/grayish/taupish eyeshadow and a small flat angled shader brush (Hema sells them for a couple of euros) instead of an eyebrow pencil. Using eyeshadow instead of a pencil makes it look a lot more natural.

Hope this helps :).

Thank you! I also tried things like that as well though.. I guess I just feel so weird with eyebrows? My eyebrows are quite light so I guess I'm just not used to having 'dark' eyebrows, I just feel so fake? :s
But I might try that one day again! Right now I'm even too lazy to properly pluck my brows, they're a MESS.. sigh..

DuckyDot
March 5th, 2012, 02:46 PM
My hair is brown. (Every shade of brown mixed together LOL) My eyebrows are black, but the hair is such that they appear slightly grey. I like it! They're not too dark, but not too light that my face looks odd :3 I can't imagine myself with lighter eyebrows, as many members here have! :D

terylenerose
March 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
My hair is several shades of light brown/dark blonette and my eyebrows are dark to medium brown. They match pretty well.

amanda_the_tall
May 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
my eyebrows are the same color as my hair, but look darker since they're long, and thicker than my hair. i trimmed them once then they appeared the same color. weird.

ttverdy
May 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM
My eyebrows are mostly red, like my hair, but I have a few blondies and places where hair doesn't grow, so I often use a pencil to fill them in a bit. Not much, though.... I wonder if anyone can tell except for me! :)

AnqeIicDemise
May 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I have to draw a piece in. My brows are dark and thick but I got about a dime size piece of white hair. :(

Laylah
May 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Thick black hair. Thick black eyebrows. I used to try to fight them and tweeze them thinner (my eyebrows of course) according to a stencil type thing but it hurt like crazy because I had to remove about half of my eyebrow. They're back to thick now. So I guess it's the opposite of filling them in with a pencil... I feel a little self conscious about the thickness of my eyebrows sometimes. Oh well.

DreadfulWoman
May 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM
My eyebrows are dark brown (darker than my hair) and super thick. I'm a little bit proud of them actually. I've never plucked them, aside from the middle part. :eyebrows:

When my hair was bleached blond they kind of made me look like a dude in drag. Dark days, I tell you.

Cirafly24
May 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM
My eyebrows are a bit darker than my hair, but they're close enough for me. I don't do anything to my eyebrows except pluck the strays every so often.

Jing
May 7th, 2012, 12:43 AM
My eyebrows are about the same shade as my hair, but I think they're a much cooler brown than my hair. They're pretty sparse, though, so it's hard to tell.

Phexlyn
May 7th, 2012, 12:53 AM
My eyebrows are dark blonde, which matches my natural hair colour quite well, although I pencil them with light brown to make them a bit more visible. Since I started hennaing, I've been looking for an eyebrow pencil/shade that matches the redder/coppery colour, but haven't been successful so far.

Any product tips are greatly appreciated :)

EmmaDStrange
May 7th, 2012, 02:24 AM
My eyebrows are dark borwn that glow golden in sunlight, but my natural hair colour is a medium to dark ash blonde so they are quite a bit darker. Atm my hair is dyed black and I pencil them in everyday to be black like my hair or it looks odd, always have to wear eyeliner too when I have black hair or I look washed out, I'm trying to revert to my natural colour now. :)

LaserOctopus
May 7th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Someone once told me that the mark of the Celtic races is at least six different haircolors occurring naturally on one's body.

So that's a no, my eyebrows don't match (I am of mostly Irish ancestry, with some Eastern European thrown in).

Here's mine:

Head: Auburn (red in childhood, but darkened with age)
Eyebrows: Medium blonde
Eyelashes: Jet black
Miscellaneous unwanted facial hair: Mostly brown
Arms and underarms: dark brown
Legs: Light blonde, with medium brown on the shins

So, I dye, and pencil, and I still haven't found a good match for my hair (in the 70s, my hair was red, and my eyebrows didn't match, but I didn't care/know since I was a child. In the 80s, it was black (or sometimes blue), so that was easy. In the 90s it was purple (or occasionally magenta), so black eyebrows were OK then, too. In the 00s, it was burgundy, and matching the eyebrows became a problem. In the 10s, it is hennaed to cover the gray, but closer to natural than it's ever been, and now my eyebrows don't match at all).

hairconvictions
May 7th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I would have to say that my eyebrows are the same or darker. Never really thought about it before. Like many things on this site, it's just another thing I'm going to start noticing now haha

roxanneortmann
May 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Just curious how many feel the need to pencil in eyebrows to get them to match their hair color?

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/1.jpg
^^ my natural brows. I always feel like they're very translucent.

My eyebrows are super light because my hair is pretty light, I typically pencil them in with a light brown pencil just to add more definition, otherwise my face feels washed out (edit: much like in my avatar pic!). For whatever reason, I love bold eyebrows. Or, as I've noticed... I love everything I don't have. lol

Random note, since I've joined LHC I have been paying more attention to all of my hair. I recently went for a thin arched eyebrow as opposed to my usually pretty natural, thick brows. I think I felt like if I couldn't play with my hair as much, I'd give my eyebrows a shot. :D

;) I dont think its important to match your eyebrows to your hair colour. Its whatever works for your complexion. There are limits however, like tinting brows BLACK when you have a fair complexion and light hair. You just have to find a shade that works for you. I have Dark hair and naturally dark brows. My sister is naturally blond and her bows are NATURALLY dark!

YumiYume
May 7th, 2012, 03:52 AM
nope, mine doesn't :P. When I was much younger I had light blonde hair and dark eyebrows, we used to say that since I was the middle child I got a mix between my all light blonde/red brother and all dark brown sister :P. then in my late teens my hair suddenly became a darker blonde/rat-colour but my eyebrows still darker so no mach anyway. now my hair got the chemical colour bleached out of my head and it is now my avatar, and guess what still no mach XD. I did try henna years ago and then I did try henna my brows once, dont remember how it looked like, but when I henna again I'll try that. Im not the make-up girl and got thick brows, my lahes are darker to, and my arm/legs is lightblonde. I do have red pigments that can be seen as a hint on my natural colour on head. oh and I have freckels in my face to, Im a mix between sweden and denmark :P

Neneka
May 7th, 2012, 04:48 AM
My eyebrows are darker than my natural blondette hair and the colour is the same. I have never had to pencil them.

They do not match my dyed hair though. I would be a bit afraid of trying to dye them red too. :p

Nae
May 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM
My eyebrows match. Dark hair/Dark Eyebrows/Dark eyes.

Earth Angel
May 7th, 2012, 05:45 AM
nope mine don't either ....my natural hair is ash blonde and my eyebrows are lighter and two-toned....light ash blonde....fading out to platinum and almost disappearing, so i sometimes get them tinted as penciling in even with a blonde eyebrow pencil can look a bit gingery and sometimes rubs off.

I got fed up with looking as if I have no eyebrows in photographs so I like to darken them slightly so they have some definition. Lucky I trained in eyebrow/eyelash tinting (my eyelashes are also very light) so I know how to make them more like a dark blonde and not too harsh ;)

browneyedsusan
May 7th, 2012, 06:25 AM
nope.
My eyebrows have always been very light, and have never matched my hair. Now that I henna, they really don't! I pencil them in daily, so they are similiar to my hair, and I usually don't wear any other makeup. (I have hennaed my eyebrows once or twice, but my eyebrows are getting so sparse that there isn't much point to it!)

browneyedsusan
May 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
nope.
My eyebrows are pale, and have never matched my hair. Now that my hair is hennaed, they really don't! I pencil them in daily, but usually don't wear other makeup.

browneyedsusan
May 7th, 2012, 06:30 AM
oopsie!
sorry about the double/triple posting!

Apriori
May 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM
My eyebrows match my natural haircolor almost perfectly. They are just slighty lighter in color :)

BrunetteElf
May 7th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I wish they did! I have rather dark brows with borderline dark blonde hair. :/

fayeelizibeth
May 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Someone once told me that the mark of the Celtic races is at least six different haircolors occurring naturally on one's body.

So that's a no, my eyebrows don't match (I am of mostly Irish ancestry, with some Eastern European thrown in).

Here's mine:

Head: Auburn (red in childhood, but darkened with age)
Eyebrows: Medium blonde
Eyelashes: Jet black
Miscellaneous unwanted facial hair: Mostly brown
Arms and underarms: dark brown
Legs: Light blonde, with medium brown on the shins

AH! is that the reason that I have different colored hair all over my body? :p I'm Irish, Polish, and Native American, with some Scandinavian thrown in there somewhere...

my hair on my head is blonde with light brown areas, my eyebrows are quite a bit darker, but not so dark that they don't match (aside: I thought it was normal to have eyebrows a few shades darker than your hair? although to be fair I never thought about it that much...) my eyelashes are nearly black.

The hair on my arms is blonde, except when it grows right in a beauty mark, then it's dark brown. But my armpit hair is really dark (although that could be a side-effect of it not ever seeing the sun, I suppose).

On my shins and calves the hair is almost black, but the front of my thighs is considerably lighter. On the back of my thighs it's dark again.

My random unwated facial hair is blonde, but once in a while a dark one slips in and I have to scramble for the tweezers before someone notices it :o.

Chetanlaiho
May 7th, 2012, 07:28 AM
My lashes, eyebrows and body hair are black, like properly black. My hair, is a medium brown that's a bit darker with dye at the ends. One of the reasons I dyed it darker was because I thought it would maybe look better if they matched :rolleyes:

Mayflower
May 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I don't know if I've already posted in this thread, but hey ho...
My eyebrows are a dark dark brown (and my eyelashes are black), but the hair on my head is a dark blonde, and my leg- and armhair is blonde too. I don't need to pencil them in, even though they're a shade lighter than my hair colour now.

Melolf
May 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Nope, they don't match, they're lighter, thus the need to darken them some so they don't clash with the hennaed hair. It really looks bad on me, light eyebrows, mahogany hair and pale skin :no:

JellyBene
May 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM
My natural hair is a level 6 blonde, but my eyebrows are black. So they do match my dyed hair but not my natural hair color.

luxepiggy
May 7th, 2012, 09:54 AM
My brows are very dark brown/soft black and my hair is dyed blue-black. I fill my brows with a medium charcoal grey. The end result is a good match for the blue-black, somehow (^(oo)^)v

LaFlor
May 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Im glad to see there are others with dark eyebrows and light hair! I've always thought I was alone. My eyebrows are dark brown and my hair is dirty blonde.

cremenoir
May 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM
my brows are a shade or two darker than my natural hair. it would be nice if they matched because it would look softer but meh, that's just how they are. i used to have dyed black hair though, and people often thought it was my natural color (i have olive skin), even though my brows were medium-dark brown. i tried pencilling them darker, but oddly it looked more natural when they were lighter. i think most people's brows are a shade or two off their hair color.

CurlySasha
May 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
My hair is a medium-dark brown, and I have full, almost black brows :D

Ligeia_13
May 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Why yes, they do :D

My mum has blonde hair and dark eyebrows.

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM
My eyebrows are fairly onpart with my medium brown hair.

My youngest son has RED hair, though, and white-blonde eyebrows and eyelashes. Bit bizarre, that kid.

SacantRoese
May 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure what color my hair is, (blondish-brown...?) I'll call it Ash brown for now. My eyebrows, eyelashes, and the rest of my facial hair is really dark brown. I'm not alone anymore! :>

Charlotte:)
May 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
My eyebrows are the same blondeness as my hair. I don't darken them, because I prefer the natural look.

Anje
May 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Light auburn hair, soft-black eyebrows and lashes. When I have gaps in my eyebrows (blame trichotillomania for that one), filling them in with a black eyeliner pencil gives perfect, practically undetectable results.

A few people have wondered whether I bleach my hair because of this, when the henna I was using at the time made my hair darker than it naturally is.

Rain
May 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
My eyebrows are part of why I got tired of dyeing my hair black. It wasn't a lot of work dyeing and/or penciling in some black every day but it started feeling like a lot of work. They're about the same dark color as the hair on my head, with some reddish bits that look odd with blue-black hair. My color's been growing out long enough that my hairs all match. Super low maintenance.

moralita
May 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I love this thread! I had quite light, golden blonde hair as a child, which then grew into more of a natural ombre from "blondette" at the roots and golden blonde at the ends. But my eyebrows? Dark, dark brown from early puberty onwards. Not particular dense eyebrows, but dark nonetheless!
My hair was chemically processed from about age... 16, I think, until almost 20, so I lost track of my natural color. Then I used henna to remedy the difficult (for me, at least!) process of growing out chemical dye.

Now, the vast majority of my hair has no chemical processing hiding beneath the henna. The color is a medium to dark red-brown depending on the light. I like the combination of my current hair color with dark eyebrows. Although i do miss being a honey blonde, henna and I really get along. ;)

AdaClare
May 7th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mine are definitely mismatched - my hair is dark blonde (pretty much the same color as Eowyn's in my avatar) and my eyebrows are jet black.

SarahKayfa
May 7th, 2012, 06:29 PM
My natural hair color is very light ash brown/dark blonde, but all of my body hair is very dark. My eyebrows are long, coarse, and very dark. I started plucking and bleaching them when I was 13 or so, and thin, arched, brows were in fashion. I wish I still had the natural shape. I just pluck the strays now and I use a medium brown brow powder to add definition. Even if I don't do the rest of my makeup, it makes me look polished.

Artisticat
May 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I wish I had dark eyebrows!!!
I'm a dark blonde really med. brown...my eyebrows are suited for a blond.
Damn German ancestry lol. Does Castor Oil help?

FireFromWithin
May 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
My eyebrows are significantly darker towards the middle of my face and you can't really see the outer halves of the,. When I was younger my hair was white blonde and it looked like I didn't have eyebrows. But I look silly penciling the, in apparently, probably because the lightest pencil is still brown and not blonde. Lol

Issmene
May 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
My hair is warmish dark blonde, but my eyebrows are ashy medium/dark brown, but I like it ^^

millyaulait
May 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Yes, but I do dye them.

However after dying them my brows are still far ashier/cooler than my headhair, so I use a warm-toned brown eyebrow gel over them which makes them blend in & look completely natural. :)

Dolly
May 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
My eyebrows have always been black, and when I was young, my natural color was light to medium brown. My hair darkened as I got older (and I have several layers of built-up henna), so it almost matches my eyebrows now.

ladyofrohan
May 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
My hair is dark brown, and I'd say my eyebrows are about the same shade or maybe a smidge darker. They match recent growth but not necessarily my ends, because they're faded.

CharleaMurphy
May 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
My hair is slightly darker than its natural colour, and my eyebrows are lighter than my hair.
I fill in my brows to make them match but more because I want them to look more defined and dramatic than anything else. :)

jojo89
July 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
My brows are pretty much the same as my natural color-dark blonde, very sparse. I used to pencil them in but felt it looked silly so I just tried to tweeze them into a more defined shape so they'd appear thicker/more filled in. I overplucked in gradeschool and still haven't been able to get the brows I want :-/

millyaulait
July 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I dye them both. :lol:

Loviatar
July 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
My hair is dyed black. My eyebrows are currently medium brown. As soon as my eyebrow piercing heals properly, I'm tinting my brows black. I love the retro look so the whole Dita matching hair-and-brows is a big win for me. But I havent been able to even wear brow powder since March when I got the piercing done!

sarelis
July 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Nah, I'd look funny with pinky purple eyebrows! :p

AnqeIicDemise
July 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Sort of. I have a vitiligo spot on one of my brows that I have to fill in, otherwise they don't match my hair. I wouldn't fill them in at all except I get asked if I overtweezed all the flippin' time. It irritates me.

allycat
July 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
No, I'm a born redhead but my brows and lashes are ashy blonde. Now I henna my gray roots, but I wouldn't do my brows. Too matchy-matchy looks fake to me.

Amber_Maiden
July 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Sometimes. Depends on if I henna them! lol

misspurdy06
July 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
mine are translucent if i dont color them.

TheMechaGinger
July 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mine aren't even close to matching! I have red hair and blonde, almost white eye brows. But the hair on my arms and legs are white blonde too so I don't do anything about it. If it weren't for the copious amounts of freckles a lot of people would probably assume I was a natural blonde

KhiraLi
July 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mine are much darker than my current color. Sometimes I bleach them or just pluck them thinner since I have quite thick brows to start with. It looks more natural when they are thinner.

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM
My eyebrows match my natural hair color. I do like to pencil in my eyebrows for more definition when I wear makeup. OP, you are so pretty btw!

AutumnLocks
July 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
My eyebrows are seriously blonde and my hair is sort of a brownish red. Eyebrows, lashes,z and hair on my arms are all the same color. Very light blonde.

Tisiloves
July 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
No, my eyebrows are ashy dark brown/natural black (like my mum's) and my hair's deep auburn (like my dad's).

blondie9912
July 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I think my eyebrows are the same colour as my hair, but sometimes I feel as though they're lighter because the hair there is less dense than on my head, and light brown/dark blonde hair seems to lighten vastly in different lighting conditions.

spirals
July 30th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I have medium golden brown hair and dark golden brown brows. I do pencil them in because they have thinned considerably with age. In the 80s, when it was popular, I had THICK brows. I miss them.

ssjhotau2
July 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM
My hair color is naturally dark blond/ blondette (easily bleached by the sun) and my eyebrows are very dark brown. I henna now, so I use a medium blond eyebrow pencil and it gives my brown eyebrows a reddish gold hue to match my hair- henna color never takes on my eyebrows- too dark.

Eniratak
July 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM
Sort of. My eyebrows are black, and my hair is a very dark brown.
There isn't much of a difference though.

Milui Elenath
July 31st, 2012, 02:14 AM
Like most auburn/redheads my brows never matched my hair. I used to think it was unnusual but now I know it's not and it doesn't bother me at all. Since they are dark I could never do much about it anyway. :) I do sometimes add a bit of red brown eyeshadow for a tint occasionally.

Marcellaa
July 31st, 2012, 02:44 AM
My eyebrows are very darkbrown and my hair is burgundy henna. I think that matched just fine

AnnaB
July 31st, 2012, 03:35 AM
I use those DIY home kits to dye mine dark. And while i'm at it, I dye to eye lashes, they look so much better for it.

I think eyebrows shape the face and its important that you can see them :P

lidapida
July 31st, 2012, 03:50 AM
I'm very blonde and my eyebrows are very dark - naturally! I feel very lucky for this because I see blonde girls struggling with light eyelashes and eyebrows (although I think it looks fine - but grass is always greener!) constantly and I've gotten this look free of charge.

However I do think that my eyebrows are the same color as my blonde hair when it starts growing out. It's very easily bleached by the sun so I go very very blonde during the summer and this fades during the winter. No matter how light blonde I am it will still grow out kind of ashy and dark. Maybe that's how it's put together? :-)

Ambystoma
July 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM
I don't like my eyebrows very much, they're too delicate looking and although they match the colour (level wise) of my hair, they have an ashy reflect like the roots of my hair before it sees sun except my brows never redden up like my hair does :wail:! People liked my brow shape in the 90's when that very arched/pointed shape was in, but these days it just looks like I pluck them too much, although they've gotten a little better since I started conditioning them with castor oil.

I dye my eyelashes though, to get rid of the blondish tips!

Loviatar
July 31st, 2012, 04:50 AM
Ambystoma, I have white tips to my eyelashes. When I dye them or wear mascara, it's like I grew half of each lash again :D

AnnaB I have used the DIY kits too, they're pretty good.

Ambystoma
July 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM
1000 hour? I use that in black/brown and I only go through a box a year. It's great stuff!

Lilli
July 31st, 2012, 07:33 AM
My hair is blonde and my eyebrows are darkest ash brown. Always has been this way. I like it. Dark eyebrows give definition and make me look "done" without much makeup.

WaitingSoLong
July 31st, 2012, 07:35 AM

This is my natural eyebrows. My hair is blonde, my eyebrows are dark...a medium brown.

This is why people think my hair color is from a box. I just stopped caring about such assumptions. It may look unnatural, but it isn't. Keep that in mind when you mentally tag people as bottle blondes ;)

Katze
July 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
mine are pale, translucent on the outer edges but getting darker as I get older. Eyelashes are blonde on the tips too. What helps is not plucking - they have gotten fuller and do have some shape. I never pencil because I've never gotten it to work without looking fake, but I do sometimes put a bit of brown eyeliner or even grey mascara on them.

I used to think blonde eyebrows made me a real blonde, but here in Northern Europe my hair color is not considered blonde anymore. :)

When I dyed my hair black I refused to dye my eyebrows, thinking, if all those bottle blondes (i.e. Marilyn Monroe) can run around with thick dark eyebrows, I can have black hair and 'clear' eyebrows. Now that I am older, I notice that even black eyeliner tends to age me and wash me out if I don't do my eyebrows, so I stick with greys, purples, and browns.

HadessThera
July 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Mine are very much darker than my natural hair colour, they're brown and my natural hair is light blonde, luckily they're the right shade of brown that they match the colours I've dyed my hair although I've been experimenting recently with pencilling my brows in the same red as my hair because I'm too nervous to dye them as I would have to bleach them first to get the right colour, I haven't perfected it yet because this is the first time I've paid so much attention to my eyebrows haha but I'm getting there :) does anyone else pencil their eyebrows in with brighter coloured pencils as opposed to the usual browns and have any tips?

Lilli
August 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM
This is my natural eyebrows. My hair is blonde, my eyebrows are dark...a medium brown.

This is why people think my hair color is from a box. I just stopped caring about such assumptions. It may look unnatural, but it isn't. Keep that in mind when you mentally tag people as bottle blondes ;)

Indeed. My hair is particolor over my whole body. Brown on my lower legs, brown on my armpits, blonde on my arms and upper legs, blonde on my head, brown eyebrows, etc.

LadyLongLocks
August 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
My eyebrows are so light that I need to use a brow pencil to even see anything. Then they match my hair.

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM
My eyebrows match my hair :)

snowtale
August 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
My eyebrows are darker than my hair.

Depending on how much lighter the eyebrows are, I'd pencil them in! ;)

Boucles d'or
August 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
My eyebrows are a little darker than my natural haircolor.:)

RileyJane
August 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mine do match, but unlike you i have very dark features, VERY pale skin -_- my eyebrows are always bold, so i try to make sure they are always plucked (imagine having to do your eyebrows everyday?) i always wished i had eyebrows like yours!

i used to hate them, but then i realized that bold is kinda the look, so i just try to enjoy what i have :P

and i also experiment with shape about once a month, to see what i like best

WinterDream
August 1st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Mine match my hair - both are almost black.

RileyJane, I too have very dark hair and fair skin :)

Rivanariko
August 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Don't match at all. My eyebrows are a dark brown, and you can see my hair in my pictures (avatar and Signature). Never dyed my hair or penciled them in, I guess I'm just odd that way.

secondrain
August 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
What few brow hairs I have do match my hair. So does my trusty brow pencil.

spotsb4myiz
August 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
If I wear makeup, I pencil my brows. They are much lighter than my hair. Mostly the brows vanish behind my glasses frames. I no longer pluck them since overplucking made them disappear. I did find that retin-A made the brows grow back quickly. I wish it would work on my hair!

Dang3rousB3auty
August 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Learning from the makeup course, eyebrows are "supposed" to be either 2 shades darker or 2 shades lighter then your hair color. My eye brows are a bit darker then my natural hair color but I like them to be a bit darker. I never have to fill them in. Just some plucking and trimming every once in a while and they are good.

koala
August 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
My eyebrows and hair are both nearly black. My eyebrows are slightly darker.
I bleached them once to a medium brown and liked it (even though it was uneven because I'm terrible) and I want to do it regularly. I love the look of light eyebrows. If only I wouldn't get judged for bleaching them white.

Venefica
August 3rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
My eyebrows and eyelashes do match my hair color, they are dark brown almost black which is why I who are very pale can get away with dying my hair stark raven black and still get people saying you dye your hair? We did not know we thought it was your natural color. :)

FrannyG
August 3rd, 2012, 05:01 AM
My eyebrows are about 2 shades darker than my hair, thank goodness. They are dark blonde, but at least they show up, and the colours do complement one another fairly well. If my brows matched my natural hair, they would be white, which would never do. My poor lashes though, well, they're practically invisible.

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
My hair is a medium brown, but my eyebrows are SUPER thick, coarse and significantly darker than my hair. When my hair is its natural color it's pretty noticeable. Unfortunately my eyebrow hair grows absurdly fast, so dying them seems like it would be obvious *very* quickly. I will never be able to pull of lighter hair/ginger because of it (I'm also just a pretty fuzzy person, so it's clear what my natural hair color is), which is a bummer, but luckily I do absolutely love my hair a darker color so I just dye it to match the 'brows.

Lady Neeva
August 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have very sparse eyebrows-they're grey, in fact.

beautifulending
August 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Mine are one shade darker then my hair and I love how dark they are.

greywolf
August 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM
My eyebrows are very dark and sometimes I wish they were a bit lighter because I feel like they are the dominating feature on my face.

CurlyCap
August 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Everyone in my family has black hair and black eyebrows, so I don't know anything about trying to match things.

However, from the outsider's perspective, I never could understand when blonde's pencil in dark brows and then wear black mascara. When I was a kid, I wondered if it just happens so often in the "light haired world" that people don't see it anymore.

I don't think it looks weird at all when brow and hair are within shades of each other. It's the drastic differences that make me assume coloring is happening somewhere.

Rufflebutt
August 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
When my hair is my natural color, yes they do match. But right now it's currently dyed black. I'm working on growing out my natural color again, though. :)

ClassicalBlonde
August 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Mine match, although I don't have very thick eyebrows to begin with so it's harder to see any colour change.

Artisticat
August 4th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Mine are lighter and sparse in parts. I hate that I have to darken them and fill them in! :mad:

pocketfulla
August 4th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Yeah mine are the same colour as my hair, blonde :)

AlicesPlatforms
August 5th, 2012, 12:23 AM
My eyebrows are darker than my natural color (not crazily though). Then my hair is also lighter than my natural color right now. Sometimes I use eye shadow on them for the hell of it though :p

Logi Bear
August 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
My eyebrows are usually darker than my hair. The hair all over my body grows all sorts of different colors, its like my body can't make up its mind. lol