PDA

View Full Version : Bi-textural issues

CarpeDM
March 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Over the past ten years or so my hair has been slowly changing texture. I used to have all fine straight hair, but then these wiry thick curly hairs started growing in. The problem is I am having a hard time working with both textures and making my hair look presentable when it is down. I would not mind one or the other, but having the two textures frustrates me. What ends up happening is the straight fine hair just lays there while I have a constant bushy halo from top to bottom of crazy curly wires that stick out. I don't know how to blend the two textures. I really want to flat iron my hair but I know this will only backfire on me. Anyone else have similar issues, how do you handle it? I really need some help, my hair is starting to drive me crazy!

Vanilla
March 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have the thicker curlier texture underneath my hair and behind my ears. I find putting my hair up in a cinnabun or French twist as its drying gives me bun waves and helps to pull the other textured hairs taut and it makes it a little bit easier to handle.

I also use a BBB brush twice daily, and it helps to combine the two textures.

lapushka
March 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Can you just... leave it be? Or would that look really bad? You say it's hard to make it look presentable, but is it a case of really toning down the frizz or of you accepting the texture (differences)?

Maybe try going with the more defined (curliest) of the two textures, treating the whole head as wavy / curly.

Georgies
March 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I agree, you could try CG and see what happens. Tons of moisture, no brushes (including bbb's and tangle teezers), and after a wash, scrunch once while wet and then don't touch it at all. Maybe your whole head is curlier than you think!

I have two textures that are opposite yours - fine curly and coarse less curly. It's definitely a pain. Minimal handling seems to make it look most presentable.

HintOfMint
March 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have 1C hair underneath and 2a to 2c hair throughout the canopy and in the front. Damp bunning with oil or shea butter (if you use shea butter, be VERY careful to not get it on the roots) helps immensely to smooth down frizz and give a uniform wave.

boomtownrat
March 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
This has been a constant issue for me. Traditional shampoo and conditioner only seem to frizz out my canopy, so I've been CO washing and doing a leave-in of aloe juice. I did the aloe leave-in to relieve scalp itch, but it also makes my hair wavier all over with a few loose canopy spirals (a larger version of my avatar picture is here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6205&pictureid=127759) -- I didn't want to clog up the thread with my vanity, heh). Usually I only have spirals on the nape hairs. Doing the leave-in and minimal handling while it's air drying encourages the waves and spirals.

FrozenBritannia
March 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I am having a similar issue, I am a 1C but some hairs are really twisty looking that are about five inches long now and giving my hair a poofy look. I don't know what to do about it, but I know my scalp doesn't like CO, so I will watch for tips here!

dragaica
March 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I have large curls,and small ones - imperial curls...like the caniche dogs - behind my ears, and some more strait hair...
overall NOW looks good - BUT OVER THE YEARS: the hair dressers had the stupid idea that layers solve all, and that will help my hair to settle- no way- bad idea.
In time your hair will find his way - find a product which suites all your types - mine is a leave in conditioner - not to make it curly, not to make it straight.
also oils help - But from what I've seen you have gorgeous hair- so, you already know.
:( and layers don't help mixed types....
The change in texture can be caused by transpiration if you do a lot of sports :cheese:.

CarpeDM
March 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Can you just... leave it be? Or would that look really bad? You say it's hard to make it look presentable, but is it a case of really toning down the frizz or of you accepting the texture (differences)?

Maybe try going with the more defined (curliest) of the two textures, treating the whole head as wavy / curly.

It can look pretty crazy, sort of like I put my finger in a socket. The crazy hairs really are crazy, they grow out instead of down and most of them are kinked and wiry as opposed to the nice bouncy curl type, it is pretty noticeable, especially when they are right against straight hair. I've thought of working with the curlier texture but I don't know how to make the straight fine hair wavier or curlier...is it really possible?