PDA

View Full Version : side bun with centre parting?

summergreen
March 4th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I almost never wear my hair up, because I hate the way my face looks with an updo. But Ive finally found one that I like - a low side bun. Having the bun where it can be seen from the front makes all the difference!
The only thing is, Ive only ever seen a side bun worn with a side parting and/or a swept across fringe; I want to wear mine with my centre parting and my face framing bits (cant really call them layers)at the front, which come to just below collar bone, loose. I think it looks ok, but I'd welcome some opinions on whether this would look a bit unbalanced and strange? Is a side parting vital to the side bun style or not?

Madora
March 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM
With your length, I think a side parting would be better..but personally, I wouldn't want all that weight on one side of my head. I'd rather have the bun at the back of my head, where it would feel more secure.

Also, if your follicles aren't used to being drawn into a bun at the side of your head, you might encounter some scalp pain if you decide to place your bun in that area.

Personally, the bun would look more aesthetically pleasing if you took your hair and swept it over your head from one side to the other to form your bun, with no center parting.

embee
March 4th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I think it would be fine.

Madora is right that the hair follicles might fight back with "follicle pain" but they'll get over it! ;) Mine fought against my sleep-topknot, but they're with the program now.

Just try it and see. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then readjust it. Some things work better with center parts, some with *no* part, some with side parts. If you want to use your face framing bits, then you need to keep the part where that will work.

I'd love to see some pics of your bun, and how you adjust it so it will show properly. I've tried it in the past, but it didn't work well for me, I need more input! Probably I need more hair, my bun is small and it sorta disappeared behind my earrings! Maybe I'll try one today, you've inspired me.

summergreen
March 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
thanks for the replies!

Madora - although my length is hip, I have fairytale ends and taper, so my buns aren't heavy - and weirdly, my follicles actually feel happier in the side bun than at the back! They also prefer a side ponytail. Thinking about it, my hair really doesnt like being pulled backwards, and in those styles the non-bun/tail side is being drawn across at a lower angle, almost down and across rather than diagonally, while the bun/tail side hair goes more or less straight down. Yes it would be nice to sweep my hair across, unfortunately my head looks kind of like a peanut shape when I try to do a side parting! I might try just parting the front bit at the side though, and sweeping that across.

Embee - my side bun would probably be a sock bun, I do have very lightweight hair! But I think a looped ponytail at the side looks nice (and big!) too!

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I had follicle pain when I first started wearing a part after not wearing one for so long. My hair got used to it and I love the change for some dos. I think your hair style choice will look good on you.

lunalocks
March 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I have done a seashell bun to the side and back, with a center part, tho the part sort of disappears. It felt a little odd at first, but I got used to it. I like asymmetry.

summergreen
March 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks jacqueline1010 and lunalocks. I like asymmetry too!

melusine963
March 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'm seconding the call for pictures. My hair and neck don't like sidebuns on me, but I greatly admire them on other people. I'd love to see this one!

Magdalene
March 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I do a sidebun several times a week- it is my go-to "low" style. I usually part it on the opposite side.

ladyshep
March 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I do it all of the time, except my natural part is not exactly in the middle. It's my favorite hairdo!

PixxieStix
March 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think why you never see side buns with a part down the center is because it looks "off balance". I've even heard a stylist comment on how no one should ever part their hair in the center because our faces are not 100% symmetrical and it looks bad (we know that's BS but it was interesting to hear her reason why she thought that.) But I say rock it! You could even do a zig-zag center part, I'm particularly fond of those (they help disguise the poky-upy hairs!) If you like how a center part looks though, I say go for it.

kme81
March 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I firmly believe that nearly all hairdos can be done with a center or side part, I am constantly using center part hairdos with a side part instead.

HintOfMint
March 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I've done an off center parting with a braided side bun and it looked quite nice. Try it out and see. If it looks awkward, you'll be able to tell right away.

summergreen
March 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all the input! Im wearing a side bun round the house today to test it out. So far its survived a morning of hoovering without coming loose, so top marks to it for staying power at least!

Pixiestixx, yes I nearly always have a zig zag or slightly zig zag parting!

HintOfMint - off centre parting sounds a good idea, Ill be trying it.

dulce
March 5th, 2012, 10:30 AM
That is exactly how I wore my hair on my wedding day,in my opinion it is a very stylish classic style.I had the soft not too curled tendrils and white pearl earrings.