PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoo

lionshoney
March 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Can anyone recommend a good dry shampoo or another dry method for keeping hair smelling OK and not too greasy between washes?

My hair gets really greasy and manky if I don't wash it every day.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Morticia
March 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I like Oscar Blandi's Pronto. It's stark white, so I can't use too much. Otherwise, my hair looks dusty.

I used to use Bumble and Bumble's dry shampoo in Black. Haven't tried it in awhile, though.

Katja
March 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I used to use a little bit of cornstarch rubbed into the greasy areas. Then I found a recipe on the old LHC for "Nanny Pauline's Orris Root Airing Powder". (Apologies, I don't know which member posted the recipe.) I love this powder! It helps me to go longer between washings.

Her recipe:
2 quart glass canning jar
3.5 c. Orris Root Powder
3 c. Cornstarch
3-9 drops Rosemary EO
3-9 drops Lavender EO
3-9 drops Honey EO (I used Honey Absolute, I hope it's the same)
9 dried rose petals or 9 little pieces of silk about the size of rose petals.

1. Put 1 c. of Orris Root powder in the jar
2. Put 2 c. of the cornstarch in the jar
3. Close and roll a bit to mix. Do not shake.
4. Put 1-3 drops of EO on a rose petal or silk swatch and drop in the jar after the oil is well absorbed. Roll the jar a bit (don't shake). Do this with each drop of EO. Roll in between additions.
5. Put the rest of the powders in and roll again.
6. Place the powder in a cool cupboard for 3 weeks, Roll jar every couple of days.

Use:
1. Put some of the powder into a fairly free flowing salt shaker. You can keep it in the shaker if the shaker has an airtight lid. (Note, I used a glass spice jar that has a shaker and screw on lid)
2. Cut some cheesecloth into squares that are slightly larger than your boar bristle brush. Remove all the old hairs from your brush and use a clean brush if possible.
3. Starting on top of head, sprinkle powder as close to scalp as possible. Part every 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Pay special attention get it to the scalp. 1 tablespoons of powder is more than enough.
4. Lift hair gently with fingers next to scalp. The idea is to create a little friction.
5. After 20 minutes begin to brush carefully with BBB. After one brushing, start putting cheesecloth over brush. (Get the hair out of the brush and press a single layer of cheesecloth into the brush a bit. It helps to collect the powder and rub it against your hair.)
6. If necessary, repeat the whole procedure.
7. Your hair will be fluffy and smell wonderful.

Note: I don't use as much powder as she recommends. I usually only need maybe a teaspoon, which means I don't need the cheesecloth to get rid of the excess powder.

If anyone knows the member who shared her Nanny's wonderful recipe, please let us know.

lionshoney
March 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I like Oscar Blandi's Pronto. It's stark white, so I can't use too much. Otherwise, my hair looks dusty.

I used to use Bumble and Bumble's dry shampoo in Black. Haven't tried it in awhile, though.

Great. Just had a look at the Bumble and Bumble products and they look ideal for travelling.

Many thanks! :D

SarieQ
March 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have trouble with the white colored dry shampoos. A little always stays in my hair and then looks like dandruff. I use fine ground rice bran powder. It's like a greenish brown, but doesn't show up if I can't get it all out.

PatGear
March 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
If anyone knows the member who shared her Nanny's wonderful recipe, please let us know.I believe that's Gladtobemom.

itslex71
March 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I used Blandi's Pronto as well. My hair is light to medium brown and I don't find it difficult to blend in. I don't find that it gives me a powdery look and it works like a charm and smells fresh and crisp.

lynnala
March 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Wow, you guys just made me discover something! I had never thought of using a powder on my hair between washings. I have a mixture I've been using as a face powder for years, half rice powder, and half crushed pearl powder. I just tried it on my unwashed hair, and it worked great! I'll post more about it in the natural hair care recipe section.

Aibell77
March 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I use Schwartzkopf dry shampoo. It's in a blue white bottle. It can leave a white cast though...

addikted
March 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Bumble and Bumble Dry Shampoo in Black

granitbaby
March 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I use Kisby dry shampoo about once a week on my greasy spots. I like it but I do not recommend it if your hair is darker than light brown.

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
i used brahmi powder once. It is dark green and a bit knotty. But i think i will experiment with hibiscus as it is a dark red, and closer to a brown. Maybe shikakai or amla. No one has tried this and i wonder.... It really does dry and fluff it up. I still need to experiment with this. I'll get back to you when i find a herb that works (i do it on days when i am about to wash my hair anyway incase it goes bad)
What i did was get a blush brush and put some brahmi on it and then brush my HAIR not my scalp. then i waited a few minutes and then used the brush to brush it out a bit. It made my scalp a bit green, and even after BBB i couldn't get it all out. so i am still tweaking it! Arrow root powder is really good for this....it leaves the hair soft i've been told.

xrosiex
March 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all these great ideas! My Mom has been recovering from a recent accident. And washing her hair isnt always easy. But now I'm gonna try dry shampoo. Thanks again.:)

DrkAngel
April 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
BUMP.

Hi, I hope no one minds me bumping this thread up. I just learned about dry shampoo and I'm curious to know more about it. So instead of starting yet another thread I'm gonna try and bring this one back to life.

So here we go, this is what I'd like to know: first off, is this any good for the hair? How does it work? I've looked up the cornstarch and the rice powder and found out these are absorvents. So I'm guessing what they do is absorb the sebum in the hair, is that it? Is it used only on the scalp as you'd do it with normal shampoos or is it only for the hair (bangs, mostly)? cause that's the impression I'm getting. Oh and does this work for people with dry hair?

Thanks ;)

Anlbe
April 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I use klorane dry shampoo which is very gentle and works particularly well in my hair if I want do a complicated updo. I also tried Bumble and bumble hair powder which was sadly a disaster on my very dry hair as it does its job very well and absorbs the sebum but I know its worked well for people with normal to greasy hair and the colour matching is a big bonus.

Catladyintown
April 18th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hi DrkAngel I was able to get this threw the archives.:cheese: HTH I am still doing this on and off. Catladyintown
April 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM Catladyintown (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=3103)
Long Hair Devotee

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=3103&dateline=1148544182 (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=3103)

Length: Short/42 in/Knees
Type: 2a/2b/C/ii
Trader Rating: 29 (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/itrader.php?u=3103)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/icons/icon10.gif Wet/Dry shampoo rinse.
Hello all. I just wanted to share this great wet or dry shampoo recipe. I found the recipe in this
book I have been reading. Inner Peace Outer Beauty by Michelle Dominique Leigh.
Anyway I have used this recipe 4 times and my hair loves it.:cloud9: Here is what it says in the book.
Rice Bran Shampoo
Action: Cleanses, Moisturizes. Indications: All Hair types. Use as needed.
Ingredients: Fresh pure rice brand or Water used for washing rice.
Direction for Use:
If using rice bran, fill a cotton or silk bag, soak in warm water,
then massage scalp and hair gently with the bag, remoistening it as necessary. Rinse
If using the water from rice-washing, place the milky liquid in a basin, then pour repeatedly
Over the head, catching the runoff in the basin. Massage the scalp and rub the
Liquid through the hair thoroughly. Rinse.
Tidbits.
The honorable grain of rice! It
beautifies not only the landscape, with glistening gold-
green vistas of late-summer rice fields, but also the meal-table,
with steaming bowls of fragrant white, and with the nourishing,
polishing bran, bringing a soft gleam to the wooden floors of
houses, women's skin, and women's long, long hair. This shampoo
is cleanser and conditioner in one, used on beautiful Japanese hair
for centuries.

Okay that what it say in the book. I have used this shampoo wet and dry.
My dry method is to put finely ground rice bran in a shaker bottle, can be
a spice bottle. Than I sprinkle it over my head, than message. The first time
I used it was when my hair was very dirty. I did not wash for 8 days or so,
than I sprinkle rice bran on the scalp, messaged. But I did not rinse it out I
Brushed it out with my wooden bristle brush. The rice bran come out very easy,
plus it made my scalp and hair look and feel very clean. You know when you haven't
washed your hair for awhile, you get the itches, well it took care of the itches
right away. Also made my hair very bouncy if that makes sense.
Second time I used it was like the above instructions, it was okay but alittle messy,
because I did it watching TV. Than I made it into a paste like you would Amla or Bringraj
herbs. I just used water to see how it worked, but you can twik it.
On all occasion my hair felt clean and moisturized. Oh by the way I forgot to tell you
I did not use any oils, like I usually do. I wanted to see how my hair felt the next day
and so on. Will the experiment has take around 4 weeks or so, and I feel that I won't be
using any more of my other shampoos. Like Soapwort, Shikakai, or Aritha. I also might give
up my Amla and Bhringraj, not sure about those two.
But all together my hair is looking and feeling a lot better, not as dry or frizzed out as
curly hair can get. Also another big plus it makes my hair very shinny!!:hollie:
P.S. I have also started using Rice Bran for my regular body shampoo. All I do is go into the shower,
with my body still dry I rub Rice Bran into my skin very well. Than just rinse. And let me tell
you for my body being old and wrinkly it has done wonder for my skin also. If you have any questions
just post or PM I will try to answer. But you should try and pick up this book it is great, it also has alot of shampoo's and rinse recipes, and skin care. Another
LHC member told me about it, but sorry I can't remember who. Hope this helps someone.:grin:
Last edited by Catladyintown : April 21st, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/images/ibulletin/statusicon/user_online.gif http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/blue/buttons/edit.gif (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1108262)

DrkAngel
April 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks Catladyintown and Anlbe for the replies. I was actually asked specifically about Klorane's dry shampoo by a friend of mine so that helped a lot, Anlbe. After seeing it mentioned here I told her to go ahead and try it. She loved the results and noticed no extra dryness at all. I'll let her know about homemade recipes with rice bran and cornstarch in case she plans on using this method long term (bet it'd be much cheaper!).

rhosyn_du
April 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM
I use just straight-up cornstarch. I coat my fingertips in cornstarch, then run my hands through my hair along the scalp until all my scalp hair is coated. After a minute or two, I brush it out with a BBB. It does take a bit of brushing to keep it from showing, but it's both cheap and effective.

Hayat
April 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Catladyintown:

I don't know if it's you or somebody else who has been telling me about the wonders of rice bran in another thread. It might just have been you, because I remember something about putting rice bran in a spice bottle.

Anyways, I've decided to try this. I've tried to get a hold of Rice Bran here in Norway ever since last summer, and it just seems hopeless. I've asked at national information "banks", in health food chanes, large grocery stores, internet forums etc. etc. and people just seem to laugh at me when I ask.

Where in US, or England - maybe even Denmark or Germany, can you buy this stuff? Are there any British or American internett shops where I can get this from? Preferrably English, because I do not know it I am allowed to buy food from over seas. I think from England there will not be a problem due to the EU/EØS agreement.

Catladyintown
April 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hayat I will look up some linke later today. I know there is alot of place online to buy. But right now I out the door. So late tonight I will post. Catladyintown
Right now fromnaturewithlove sells it but the Rice bran fine is out of stock. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=ricebranfine
I will keep looking.

Catladyintown
April 22nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hi Hayat the only place I have found so far is fromnaturewithlove. Give me a PM, and maybe we can work it out so I can send you some. In Tucson AZ it is very easy to get and cheap also. If anyone know of another source please step in. HTH Catladyintown

minkstole
June 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I tried the searchfunction but to no avail, so here goes:

My hairdresser recomended getting a dry shampoo (the powder you spray onto your roots) for the summer, since frequent washing with water dries the hair out. I´ve been looking everywhere and so far have only found one (1!) that cost an arm an a leg (well around $45 for next to nothing).

I would really like to hear from others about brands, tecniques, etc before spending on this. Anyone??? Links and/or specific recomendations would be awesome!

(maybe this out to be in the product-section? There is more action on this board so I would like to keep it here, but mods feel free to move it)

Nat242
June 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
See this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387&highlight=gladtobemom) for a recipe to make your own.

-- Natalie

DrkAngel
June 20th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Check out this thread too. There's brands that carry cheaper ones. Klorane for instance. However, I dont see how "frequent washing with water dries the hair out". Water is moisture! She probably meant frequent shampooing is drying.

manderly
June 20th, 2008, 03:17 AM
See this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387&highlight=gladtobemom) for a recipe to make your own.

-- Natalie

*pokes head in thread*

Good, I just wanted to check that Nanny Pauline's recipe was mentioned.......:cheese:

Kuchen
June 20th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Here's another thread from the archives (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60256) that has loads of brands and natural alternatives.

Riot Crrl
June 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I haven't used it since I was a (very oily) teenager, but I tried different things (that were available in the 80s) and the best one that I found was just plain cornstarch. YMMV if you have a dark hair color especially, though.

detritus
June 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I've been using (of all things) a powder deodorant from Lush called Powder Puff. It's mostly cornstarch and kaolin and smells like roses, but it's not an old lady type smell. Every time I use it my boyfriend buries his nose in my hair. :) It was pretty inexpensive and lasts forever. I tried plain cornstarch and it was too visible in my hair, even as a blond.

paradoxx
June 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
I just recieved the Ojon dry shampoo (spray in), but I haven't tried it yet. I will have to try that product from Lush! :flowers: Update: I don't see powder puff on their website! :wail:

katiana
June 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have tried a couple dry shampoos and my favorite so far, has been the Ojon..Rub Out..I really love it. I do not feel like it leaves that white residue in my hair ( I have medium brown hair ) and it smells nice.. I really like how all of the Ojon products smell, even the restore that a lot of people usually love or hate the smell of..the other Ojon products have a lighter smell..very pleasant. I find that the Ojon really makes my hair feel clean and not itchy ..it also seems to give my hair some body too which is nice.

shellblue1
June 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Has anyone tried the Batiste brand dry shampoo from Sally Beauty Supply?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-381226/

Also, those who use dry shampoo on curly or wavy hair and don't like to brush, how do you use the dry shampoo?

Elfling
June 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have the Ojon and Blandi dry shampoos, both spray-in and powder forms. Since my hair is pretty dark, I occasionally have issues getting the white residue out; also, by the time I use enough to get the greasy look gone, my hair tends to be a bit knotty/rough feeling. However, they're definitely good in a pinch.

I'll have to look up the Bumble and Bumble in black- that sounds very interesting.

detritus
June 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I just recieved the Ojon dry shampoo (spray in), but I haven't tried it yet. I will have to try that product from Lush! :flowers: Update: I don't see powder puff on their website! :wail:

Oh no! I can't find it either. I hope they didn't discontinue it...