PDA

View Full Version : help a newbie with hair typing

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi all
I'm having a difficult time typing my hai.

I'm a 1 something - I know that at least! I have mostly straight hair that, once it gets longer, has spiral curls in two or three places at the nape of my neck, at my temples, and my forehead (both sides of my widow's peak).

This is what I've come up with - would you experts "check my work" please?
1b or c/medium/and I'm guessing between a i and ii.

I've lurked enough to know that pictures are de rigeur so (I can't post pics yet so here are some links...)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/alaska26/IMG00109.jpg?t=1216675825
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/alaska26/IMG00105.jpg?t=1216675869
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/alaska26/IMG00104.jpg?t=1216675933
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/alaska26/IMG00106.jpg?t=1216675989

These pics show my hair as I sit here and type - air dried (which I've been doing for a little over 1 week now... and which is the first time in at least 20 years that I haven't blown dry daily or twice daily in the last 6!) with some finger styling during the drying process.

I'm new and nervous to this whole hair growing thing - this is the longest it's been since at least 2 years ago (and even then, it was just past my ears!) So if you take a look and think "ew, don't grow that" please take pity and let me know.

Also, if you seen any glaring problems - like wow, she needs _____! - suggestions are always gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance :)

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Please indulge me for one more question?
I have an appointment for a cut on Wednesday. It's been 15 years that I've gone more than 6 wks without a trim.
I know there are those of you who trim, and those who don't - but what about growing out from such a short cut? Should I trim it to keep it shaped, or is that just delaying the inevitable weird grow out stages?

Riot Crrl
July 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
From what I can see right at this moment, I think 1c sounds right for the back, possibly 1b at the front. But if it really gets any spirals when longer there just about has to be some 2.

I'm new and nervous to this whole hair growing thing - this is the longest it's been since at least 2 years ago (and even then, it was just past my ears!) So if you take a look and think "ew, don't grow that" please take pity and let me know.

Noooo, it's pretty! I think it will be very nice longer.

Also, if you seen any glaring problems - like wow, she needs _____! - suggestions are always gratefully accepted.

One thing: is that razoring I detect in the front/side? If not, ignore me. If so, you might consider to ask the stylist to stick with normal shears on the next trim.

I know there are those of you who trim, and those who don't - but what about growing out from such a short cut? Should I trim it to keep it shaped, or is that just delaying the inevitable weird grow out stages?

It's really just your own comfort level, as long as they aren't trimming it faster than it's growing. Unless my razoring theory is correct, then I would have it trimmed at least once with regular shears to blunt the ends of the hairs.

sedonia
July 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi lawyermom:

I looked at your hair photos before I looked at your typing. I thought your hair looked the same type as mine. As you can see, I typed my hair the same as yours. So at least there is consistency.

I recently applied henna and switched to shampoo bars, and my hair seems wavier and thicker. I don't know, but I may even be pushing 2a now.

Sedonia

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
She didn't use a razor, but she tries for the same "effect"...I've told her over and over again that I hate how my hair looks razored but yet everytime I go to see her, she picks it up.

So if she didn't actually use a razor, but she did that choppy thing - grow it a little more or go ahead and do some cutting?

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Then I am on the right track - if that's you & your hair in your avatar, Sedonia, your hair is just beautiful and from this also over 40 year old, I'm totally inspired!

I've been thinking of Henna but I'm worried about the time commitment. Do you really reapply for hours every couple of weeks?

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM
I wish I could just edit my posts since I never remember to include it all the first time!
sedonia, which shampoo bar do you use? I tried a burt's bees bar - ugh.

sedonia
July 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Regarding growing out: This is a tough one. My last "hairstyle" was a stacked bob -- ultra short at the nape, inverse layers in the back, grading down to long, unlayered sides.

I have been trimming every 2-3 months with just minimal "reshaping". I won't lie; for the past 6 months my hair has been driving me crazy. Basically, getting from ultra short to shoulder length is just difficult no matter how you do it.

It is now long enough to updo in a french twist, but the layers are just...strange. I'd have to hack off 4" to get to a blunt cut, which I don't want to do.

I say bite the bullet and grow it out. If you take your stylist's advice it will forever to gain any ground.

lapushka
July 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
I'm thinkin' 1b.

helpmegro
July 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
I agree with Riotcrrl, looks like a 1b/1c. Looks kind of like my mom's hair. :-)

Get rid of that stylist. Whenever a stylist does something I dont' like and doesn't listen to me, and I don't like the results, I just don't go back. Eg., the lady who cut my hair last. She did an OK job but she cut it far too short, and she was barely looking at me while she was cutting my hair. I won't be going back.

Euphony
July 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I agree, just let it grow. The stylist wants you to have to come in every 6 weeks to get your hair trimmed, it's not necessary. I trim mine every 6 months and my hair is very happy.

For your typing, I'm bad at it, but it looks to be 1b/1c to me...but that could change very much with more length and it could also change a great deal with you no longer blow drying it. It's one of those time will tell things.

spidermom
July 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
My vote is 1C.

As I grew out from short, I had a trim every 6-8 weeks at first. I averaged 4.75 inches of length increase per year on that, and my ends always looked good. I really don't much like the look of uneven, wispy ends. My stylist only trimmed off about 1/4-inch per visit. Once I got all the layers caught up, I stretched out the times between trims. I get it trimmed about every 3 months now. Actually, it's been a bit more often than that this year because I've had a lot of splitting, probably from tropical vacations and snorkeling in the sea last year.

sedonia
July 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Then I am on the right track - if that's you & your hair in your avatar, Sedonia, your hair is just beautiful and from this also over 40 year old, I'm totally inspired!

Oh, sorry to burst the bubble, but the avatar is a pic of my biological hair plus my adopted hair (clip-in human hair extensions, hehe), plus a huge amount of styling time/effort. I have some picks of my hair in my profile; you will be able to see profiles after you have 25 posts.

I've been thinking of Henna but I'm worried about the time commitment. Do you really reapply for hours every couple of weeks?

I just started, so I don't know how long I can go between applications. I will just be touching up roots, so I'm thinking probably once per month. I don't want my hair to go deep auburn or burgundy.

Xandergrammy
July 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Please indulge me for one more question?
I have an appointment for a cut on Wednesday. It's been 15 years that I've gone more than 6 wks without a trim.

First of all, I think your hair will look very pretty long.

As a non-trimmer, I suggest that you just let it be. Let it grow a bit and then decide if you want to shape it or whatnot. Here's a picture of me during my most awkward growing out stage. (my point being the longer it gets the better it will look. :gabigrin: )

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Regardless, it looks lovely :)

It's funny - your short cut is my first goal - a chin length bob.

I've been doing alot of reading about hennas and the henna/indigo blend, natural hair colors, shampoo bars (I just ordered a few from CV), ACVs, etc.

It's all about overwhelming to wade through.

lawyermom
July 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
xandergrammy, you're one of the posters who, unwittingly, helped change my mind. A few weeks ago I never would have thought growing out was even possible. I was sure I had terrible hair, blowing drying was a necessity, and it was just going to get worse now that I've turned 40. Which is ridiculous, I know. I don't even have any wrinkles, and here I am acting like it's all over.

Anyway, I was sure I was too old to do this so your posts, and the other over 40s, have been so inspiring.

sedonia
July 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I wish I could just edit my posts since I never remember to include it all the first time!
sedonia, which shampoo bar do you use? I tried a burt's bees bar - ugh.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I noticed you said that you had ordered some CV bars. I am using one of them -- babasu and marshmallow.

Give them a try but don't put them on a pedestal as the pinnacle of hair products. The best hair product for you is the one that makes your hair look/feel/grow the best.

Shampoo bars take some getting used to because they are essentially old-fashioned lye soap, except that they are made with nice plant oils instead of lard. They are touted as being free of harsh chemicals (in contrast with detergent-based shampoos), but the saponification process requires a caustic base, which is going to be sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide or sodium carbonate or some combination of the above. This base is generally not listed in the ingredients, but rather "saponified" is added to the oils used (e.g. saponified olive oil).

This is why most people use ACV rinses -- to restore the pH balance after using the alkali soap.

I like them because they fluff out my fine hair, nothing more or less. To be honest, I will probably end up rotating products.

Some people like shampoo bars because they don't strip the hair completely of natural oils, but you can use regular shampoos without stripping also, by just washing your scalp only and diluting the shampoo, or keeping conditioner on the ends during the scalp wash.

So experiment and just use what seems to work best for you, even if you go back to whatever you were using before.

lawyermom
July 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
OH I wasn't looking to find the holy grail :) I don't think I could handle using just one product exclusively - I get too bored. I'm just looking for something to add to the rotation. I need something "new" and exciting to keep my interest so I don't satisfy my need to eradicate the boredom with yet another haircut ;)

I wondered why the ACV rinse was necessary - thanks for that info, it was interesting!