PDA

View Full Version : Calling all my "heated hair tool" experts!

bna_rapunzel
March 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Alright. So I've been searching for heat free curling tutorials on how to do my hair for my sisters wedding. But I kind of want to be part of the girly festivities. I have fine, straight tailbone length hair. I have not used any heat on my hair since my wedding 10-10-10. She's getting all of us girls' hair/makeup/nails done and I kind of enjoy being pampered, especially since I haven't used heat on my hair in forever. My question is..... Curl my hair with a straightener or a curling iron? For my wedding my hair was curled and stayed all day through dancing and whatnot with a straightener. I prefer flat iron curls, but which is "better"? Yes, I know they're both damaging but i want to treat myself to something nice. Plus I will be VERY pregnant by that point in summer and just want to have a girls day instead of sweating and attempting to do/fail at my hair for the biggest day of my sisters life. I do know they're both damaging, I used to be an avid straightener back in my pixie days. I have very healthy hair so I think it could take one day of damage, just which one is the best choice?

cwarren
March 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Does your hair hold curls well?

I think you would be fine using the low settings on a curling iron.

Emmental
March 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Personally, I don't think there is much of a difference, specifically with a one day affair. I would go with what you prefer if you have a choice.

Have fun and enjoy getting pampered! :)

Miss Catrina
March 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I don't know for certain, but my gut instinct tells me flat irons are more brutal. Just the way they clamp down on and press the hair in addition to the heat, whereas curling irons glide through.

bna_rapunzel
March 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
I don't know for certain, but my gut instinct tells me flat irons are more brutal. Just the way they clamp down on and press the hair in addition to the heat, whereas curling irons glide through.

Hmmm? Every curling iron I've ever used clamps down on the ends and then you begin to curl, whereas a flat iron you clamp the hair, twist the tool and glide it down. Maybe I'm misunderstood? Regardless, I thank you all for your opinions. My hair tends to hold a flat iron curl better than a curling iron so I'll just go with whatever suits me best :) thanks everyone!! :)

mzBANGBANG
March 3rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
I personally prefer flat iron curls but I also am ok with heat damage on my bsl hair. They stay in longer and to me just look better. I say if you're only doing it one day... use as much heat protectant as possible and hope for the best. Treat your hair extra nice the previous and following week. If I can go 5 years of flat ironing and have semi-awesome hair now, I don't think one day is going to do much harm on you! My hair is also really fine.

Miss Catrina
March 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hmmm? Every curling iron I've ever used clamps down on the ends and then you begin to curl, whereas a flat iron you clamp the hair, twist the tool and glide it down. Maybe I'm misunderstood? Regardless, I thank you all for your opinions. My hair tends to hold a flat iron curl better than a curling iron so I'll just go with whatever suits me best :) thanks everyone!! :)

Yes, they do clamp, but it just seems to me like not as much pressure is applied with a curling iron. That probably has a lot to do with technique, though.

And then there are the special variety of curling iron that don't have a clamp, only a barrel, and come with a heat-resistant glove to allow for wrapping the hair around it. Probably the nicest option.

TooShort
March 3rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Flat Iron Curls seem to hold better on my fine stick straight hair with less product only a heat protection spray.. I don't see one day doing a lot of damage just take good care before and after.. maybe your favorite deep conditioning treatment before and after, especially after. Anyway, enjoy the day you deserve it and besides it is your sisters wedding.

Arya
March 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
My honest opinion?
I don't think that a curling iron will have a chance in hell of keeping your hair curled for more than an hour or two, unless it's pinned and sprayed into submission. I find that curling iron's curls fall out really fast on long hair. Flat iron curls seem sturdier, in my experience. I'd go with those.