PDA

View Full Version : Help! Do I want layers?

neon-dream
March 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
So, hi.
I haven't posted on here in ages but I'm feeling a bit boring at the minute, my hair is always in a bun and I wear boring boring clothes and never wear make up during the day.
Basically; I feel boring and ugly. Will changing my hair make me feel better?
Help me people :( !!

StormVixen
March 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
How about doing some more adventurous and different styles first, or indulging in new hair toys... if that doesn't work then think about a new cut?

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Have you tried creating other updos? Having a limited hairstyling repetoire does become boring after a while.

If you're going to continue wearing updos, then I'd stay away from any kind of layers. They are a purple pain to deal with if you're trying to keep your braided updo ..or bun..nice and neat.

You might want to look into buying a pretty Flexi 8 to adorn your hair..or perhaps hairsticks (if you enjoy those).

Of course if you're just tired of the whole long hair routine, then getting layers might be a different way to enjoy your hair. But I imagine they would be time consuming to S and D properly..assuming, of course, that you S and D regularly.

It sounds like you need a change of some sort..but please consider all your options before taking the next step.

dulce
March 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Change hair dos,how about a stylish french braid ?Buy some hair toys eg Flexi 8 clips,hair forks,ficcares and buy some new clothes and some makeup.Why cut your hair,it's length makes you unique in this world of all the same looking salon dyed ,layered blowfried hair.

dulce
March 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
I second the layers problem,it took me 2 years to grow them out as they always stuck out of my braids and dos.

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Easy lace double strand crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Check out the Articles section (hair styling) for more interesting ways to style your hair.

Chromis
March 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Perhaps for a while, but layers will make it hard to do fun updos again when you get bored with them. I second the hairtoy suggestion. Also, try some new styles! Both hair and clothes. Why not play around with some bold eyeshadow? If you don't like it, it wipes right off!

Honestly, I would try the clothes first. Check out some style bogs for ideas and do some window shopping. Try on some things you would not normally wear, change your stores up. If you have a good thrift shop nearby, they are fantastic for this kind of thing. Try adding some colour! Colour can make a ton of difference and so can having the right fit.

kmarie99
March 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
I would suggest trying other things before layers. Don't get me wrong, I love my layers and love how they look. However, they make cutting splits ends off incredibly hard!! Try getting new hair toys and researching new styles. Maybe try some fun vegetable dyes like Manic Panic to play with the color? Good luck! :D

HintOfMint
March 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I took a look at your profile, and if that picture is how long your hair is now, then layers aren't going to be a problem for updos.

I have hip length hair with plenty of layers and I do cinnabuns, braided buns, braids, figure eights and the like all with plenty of ease.

Also, layers add an instant style to wavy thick hair. I have a similar hairtype and tried to go no layers. In the end, I wasn't thrilled with the look--it just hung there. Now I'm much happier.

I would cut in layers.

supbanana
March 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
I have hair with two layers - the long hair is hip length and the layers are a couple inches below waist length. I can't stand the layers and wish I had never gotten them. If you like doing braids, layers are going to be a problem.

When I do any kind of braid, I end up with a good 6 inch 'tassel'. If I try to braid further than that the short layer with stick out all over the place, giving the braid a very messy, spiky look. The tassel is very frustrating to hide in buns. If I had never gotten layers I could braid all the way to the ends of my hair, giving me a more uniform braid as well as giving me more braided hair to put into the buns (for instance, at this point, crown braids look ridiculous because of the tassels - my hair would be the perfect length for that style if I didn't have layers). I would think long and hard about adding layers. Just my :twocents:

turtlelover
March 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Layers would look good w/ your hair type, but I would keep them long and only on the bottom of your hair or they could thin out your hemline too much. If you try very long layers, you would only lose a few inches of length, so it wouldn't be as traumatic if you didn't like them. I definitely wouldn't do a big chop -- your hair is gorgeous.

Kelikea
March 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
Since your hair is thick, does it feel "heavy" to you? A long fringe or layers can help relieve some of that weight. Look at some member's albums that have layered hair, with a hair type similar to yours, to see if you like that look. I have layered hair, and it does updo's and braids just fine. Ultrabella also has layered hair, and juliams.

PixxieStix
March 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
This is where I recommend Youtube and Pinterest! Start looking for some inspiration for your hair and do something fun/different with it. I would try new up-dos and maybe get some new hair toys before I would go for the scissors. If in a few weeks from now you decide to go that route, try long, long layers to start off with so that if you are displeased with them you could grow them out in relatively short time.

You WILL feel better by changing something up, absolutely, just be cautious about what that something is gonna be. :)

Long_hair_bear
March 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't layer if I were you. I regret doing it. It makes updos and braids a lot harder. :( you do what you like though.

Artisticat
March 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
I would seriously rethink it. I was the unfortunate "victim: of a hairdresser who gave me layers I did not want. Now I feel like my hair is furry when I go against the grain...drives me crazy. Trying to be patient though.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'd try a new do, temporary color, and the new hair toy sound like good places to start. If that doesn't fix the problem I'd try maybe some bangs and then the layers. Why not buy and wear some make up? I would try some new accessories for your clothes.

Neya
March 3rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
layers are a tricky thing. I had them done, and while I loved it sometimes, sometimes in the wrong hands the refreshing of the layers, instead of thinning my hair out, made it poofier (which is definitely NOT what I needed, poofy enough on my own!)

Layers can be fun, but they have their issues (styles, etc), and then as they grow everything goes out of whack. Then falling in love with them one way, but the next cut is never right. I'm growing out again, and now have shoulder length layers to BSL(originally ear at shortest layers). It's going to take a long time to get back to where I was.

TheMechaGinger
March 3rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Layers make most updoes look just awful. I tried cutting in layers and hated it so I cut them out and now I'm back to square one. Whole year worth of growth just gone for me. If you wear your hair down all the time you might like em but I didn't. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it just sharing my experience with them. I'd take a week or two to really think about it or maybe try fringe? you won't lose length and if you don't like them they're easy to pin away and/or hide until they grow out

Naiadryade
March 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
If I were you I would change those "boring boring clothes" first! (With TWO borings, they must be a big point for you!) I always find unique and fun clothes at thrift stores--just go when you've got an hour or two to browse through to find the diamonds in the rough. That and doing your hair in different ways, I think should do the trick for you! Even if it doesn't, it's much less of a commitment to try that first before cutting.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
A little bit of face-framing layering might be a groove.

UltraBella
March 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I love my layers.
I do not have problems with updos, I do not have a thin hemline and I don't have any issue with them looking funny as they grow out. I wouldn't like my hair at all if I didn't have layers and I am so thankful for a stylist who cuts my layers perfectly. Having the right layers makes all the difference and I find that when someone does them themselves or goes to an inexperienced stylist, they always hate their layers.
For me, layers are a hair necessity.

Tisiloves
March 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Layers might be awesoe, personally I think their the devil's own work.

I second the new updos/new clothes ideas. Also why not add a splash of colour? Even really boring looks can be brightened up by some new accessories.

dulce
March 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
It all depends how thick your hair is also,I have fine not very thick[the curls make it look thicker than it actually is] hair and was told by a hairdresser that at BSL and below my hair was too thin to have layers and that the ends would resemble spagetti strands,as it grew I could see she was going to be right ,so I grew them out.With thick hair it can be awesome though.

lolot
March 3rd, 2012, 10:51 PM
i think you should try first with the clothing and make up because that is not something you can regret so much as cutting your hair, if you change that and you still want layers then do them but before try with the other things,
sometimes i feel my hair is awful and boring but i dress nicely and feel pretty again

Callque
March 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
I'd suggest getting a light side swept fringe or blunt bangs that would look good with updos so you can continue to wear them without having to pin lots of layers. I would also suggest for you to look into henna and maybe getting some pretty clips to wear in your hair when you wear it down. Good luck! :)

AnimaSola3o4
March 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Have you thought about some longer face framing bangs? I keep some of my bangs shorter (just under chin length) for this very reason. Adds a bit of interest. And theyre still long enough to tuck behind the ears, and to be left out of an updo. I actually prefer having some hair out of my updos, instead of all of it up.

kidari
March 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
I love layers. Personally I don't need to have neat braids so it's doesn't bother me. I think it's crucial you get your layers cut by a very good stylist who knows how to work with your hair type. I agree with those who are suggesting face framing ones only or face framing bangs only at first. If you have one length hair and get it all heavily layered you might be traumatized.

neon-dream
March 4th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll try some of your other suggestions before cutting.

Face framing layers might be a good idea, my face is reaaally round which is why I hate wearing all of my hair off my face so much. I'll try some new hair styles first though :).

Chromis
March 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
You might try doing more French braid styles. I find they add some height. My favourite is the simplified Ellingwoman bun (there is a thread for it and some very good YouTube videos).