PDA

View Full Version : moisturizing shampoo

no1auntt
March 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Can anyone tell me of a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner? i had my hair trimmed last week at Cost Cutters and the hairstylists tried to sell me some CC brand hydrating shampoo....she said i needed a moisturizing shampoo....i am just wondering if there is any i can buy at the stores just as good....i've always loved the Dove products but she said no, they weren't for my harm. my hair's not damaged but it is dry and course thanks for any info

Mairéad
March 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
I've always found moisturizing shampoo to be an oxymoron, I don't think there is such a thing unless it's a shampoo bar. Moisturizing shampoo in the thought process of cosmetic companies is probably just to add -cones to the shampoo.

What I would do is use a clarifying shampoo to remove any product build up and do a moisturizing treatment and see how your hair is after that. Many options for those can be found here. SMT is the name of a popular one.

If your hair is dry you want to minimize shampoo usage, plain and simple. Also, while many stylists are awesome people who know what they're talking about; I find the ones at salon chains to be product pushers.

How often do you wash your hair and what are you using now?

rock007junkie
March 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Have you thought about cleasing conditioners? It's basically a conditioner that also cleanses your hair. curl Junkie's Daily Fix is an excellent one. However, the best I've ever tried was Keracare Natural Textures Cleansing Cream. Really cleaned my hair but left it soooo soft. I also loved the fact that this cleaner had a whole bunch of ayurvedic herbs in it (amla, shikakai, etc.)

Long_hair_bear
March 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
I love toadstool on Etsys shampoo. It doesn't dry my hair out and leaves it soft and bouncy. Her condish is awesome too. Both come in like 100 different scents.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/49118797/blue-lilac-shampoo-olive-oil-coconut-oil?ga_search_query=Blue%2Blilac&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5170092 this is the one I get :D

chou
March 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Have you tried the condition-wash-condition method? This could help you without having to purchase new stuff.
But, if you need a new a shampoo, as you look for products, here's something I have learned: just because a shampoo says it is non-stripping and sls-free does NOT mean that it will leave your hair moisturized. "Gentle" cleansers like decyl glucoside and coco betaine can still be really harsh. Trander Joe's Tea Tree shampoo, for instance, turned my hair into straw despite being advertised as gentle and natural. No shampoo is going to leave your hair feeling totally moisturized, but there are definitely some that will keep your hair from drying out beyond what a conditioner can replenish.
Cleansing conditioners are great for some people, but I personally found CO-washing to be time-consuming and water-wasting. Plus, it left my hair weighed down over time. Shampoos for curly hair are a great thing to look into because they are formulated to gentle for curly hair which needs lots of moisture to keep from frizzing. I loved Curl Junkie's gentle cleansing shampoo, but it is very expensive. Queen Helene Royal Curl shampoo is fantastic for a much better price.
Some people have had great luck with the oil shampoo method which you can read more about in threads in this forum.
My HG shampoo is Toadstool. My hair feels soft and detangled even before putting on conditioner. I love the stuff!

swearnsue
March 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
You could try diluting the shampoo you have now and try to shampoo less often if possible. My favorite conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose but not to use every time, it would build up on your hair.

torrilin
March 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Straighter hair tends to hold on to its natural moisture better, because the hair's outer layer is smoother than the outer layer of a curly hair. That said... my hair is on the border between actually straight and actually wavy, and mine's always done best if I let it slurp up as much conditioner as it wants. And it wants a lot!

This is probably partly because I have pretty dry skin. Not the driest ever, but definitely not oily :).

So... I dilute my shampoo, and I don't shampoo often. Depending on the situation, my hair can go between 3 and 7 days without needing a wash. And when I do wash, I tend to use the condition/wash/condition method suggested in Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39). Since my hair slurps up conditioner, this method works well and doesn't waste product.

If your hair is curlier than mine... you may find you need a routine that is even gentler or that involves even less washing. But CWC is a great place to start, and it's suitable for a wide range of hair types.

no1auntt
March 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've always found moisturizing shampoo to be an oxymoron, I don't think there is such a thing unless it's a shampoo bar. Moisturizing shampoo in the thought process of cosmetic companies is probably just to add -cones to the shampoo.

What I would do is use a clarifying shampoo to remove any product build up and do a moisturizing treatment and see how your hair is after that. Many options for those can be found here. SMT is the name of a popular one.

If your hair is dry you want to minimize shampoo usage, plain and simple. Also, while many stylists are awesome people who know what they're talking about; I find the ones at salon chains to be product pushers.

How often do you wash your hair and what are you using now?

i wash about every 3 or 4 days....it always looks better a couple days after i wash it.

no1auntt
March 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
i wash about every 3 or 4 days....it always looks better a couple days after i wash it.
where do i get most of these shampoos? i've never heard of the toadstool products