PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Updo's

Flossiebell
March 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hi All

I have APL layered hair and am really struggling with any updo other than a half finished pony which looks a bit naff.

I have tried a sock bun but my hair just fluffs out all around it and it looks a mess, when i use bobby pins, etc my hair just pushes them out within 2 minutes. I am no good at braiding either and any high ponys really hurt.

Does anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong? Feel so stupid.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any suggestions...

Viscountess
March 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Sounds like your layers are giving you grief. All I can suggest is patience, let the hair grow and keep trying.

I find as my hair grows my 'go to' updo styles have to change as my length does. You sound like you're in that hated "in between" stage where nothing seems to work. This will change in time.

Its a continual learning process!

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi All

I have APL layered hair and am really struggling with any updo other than a half finished pony which looks a bit naff.

I have tried a sock bun but my hair just fluffs out all around it and it looks a mess, when i use bobby pins, etc my hair just pushes them out within 2 minutes. I am no good at braiding either and any high ponys really hurt.

Does anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong? Feel so stupid.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any suggestions...

Working with layers can be a holy trial, as you've found out.

Bobby pins are only meant for very thin, short whisps of hair. Crimped hairpins hold better and are easy to insert and remove..and they hold securely, provided you insert them properly.

High pony tails are not really a good idea since hair can be damaged by wearing them in the same place all the time. The elastic will cause friction and damage your hair. They probably hurt because your hair follicles are not used to being in that high position.

You might be interested in trying the Gibson Twist:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

Working with layered hair takes patience and with a little bit of luck you'll find some updo that will work with layers.

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have a natural taper to my hair so I have up do issues too. I found my hair likes to fall out of them. I pull my short layers out for a messy up do.

heidi w.
March 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
What is APL length? I can't figure out what this acronymn means! Help. I see it all the time, too.

Layers are a lot harder to handle in updos as one has all kinds of lengths to contend with.

As it concerns bobby pins, there are 3 kinds of hairpins: bobby pins themselves, plain ole pins which are a bit u-shaped and have a bit of squiggle on each of the longer arms of the pin; and hair roller pins as they're technically known (much like long bobby pins).

The main thing in using hairpins of any kind is that one must place them as one proceeds in creating the updo. One cannot wait to shape the look of the updo and then pin in the pins. It'll fall out as the interior underhair is not held in place.

Here's how to pin: let's use a regular ole bun for an example.

Draw the hair in a ponytail and create the first spiral of the updo. Pin using long bobby pins in a North, South, East, and West fashion, with the center interlocking. Grab some scalp hair with each of these pins so that the spiraled hair in a circle shape is pinned to something. Then keep spiraling pinning as you go to connect with this base of pins. Form a network of pins underneath the hair.

You can use the softer hairpins to pin bits of hair in place. You can also try a side hair part to handle the layers.

As your hair grows longer, your repertoire of updos will change and your technique or even look of a given updo will change slightly. For example, I can't create a french twist on myself anymore, but I can do an modified french twist.

I now put my hair up each day using a hair stick. I should create a youtube video with instructions. This is an easy updo for most people to succeed at.

I also started out using bobby pins, and eventually migrated to long bobby pins, and have now migrated to hair sticks. No claw clips or anything like that, although I went through that phase as well. Braiding can also help you a lot. You can use aloe vera gel for stick. Apparently some do this with success, and it might help you get through the trial times. I don't know what to recommend regarding the how-to; someone who used or uses Aloe Vera Gel will have to help you.

Also, it's known that nonhairwashing helps hair to have a bit more "stick" than super clean hair which tends to slide out more easily.

One other idea I just realized is that I often form a ponytail say, and then twist the length which helps the hairs stay in place in a given updo. I'll ponytail the hair, twist the length, then pin it in place. I also do not look in a mirror as it's confusing to me. I feel my way through, by the way my hands feel while they're working.

A lot of newbies to updos find it somewhat helpful to ponytail the hair before starting the creation of an updo. Most basic updos begin with a ponytail.

heidi w.

QMacrocarpa
March 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
You might like the cheater's easy hairstick bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25145), also on youtube (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyuEIkHJ9o). It dresses up a half-pulled-through ponytail.

The Gibson tuck (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49) might be another nice option.

Bobby pins don't work in my hair either, but I find Goody spin pins (http://www.goody.com/Products/Hair%20Accessories/Simple%20Styles%20Spin%20Pin) stay in place well.

If you want to improve your braiding, wearing a braid for sleeping is a good opportunity to practice without having to achieve a presentable result. :)

PixxieStix
March 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
You aren't doing anything wrong, you simply just don't have a ton of practice, and that is okay! We've all been there.

This youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhA5_1VF8dc) shows one of my absolute favorite go-to hairstyles right now, my hair is just a little past shoulder and layered, and this can usually keep most of it in. Yeah, there are a few pieces sticking out now and again, but I am learning to think of them as "artistic". :D

The Gibson Tuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZR-PlJ_AU) is a pretty easy style to get down with shorter hair/layers too (or so I hear, I haven't perfected it yet).

And just remember, it all comes down to practice practice practice. Frustrating as all get out, but it's worth it in the end. :) Good luck, and hopefully there are more suggestions out there for you.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
My hair also spits out bobby pins like there's no tomorrow, but I second QMacrocarpa's spin pin recommendation. As long as I've put them in right they hold like rock.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
A peacock twist, or what the Flexi-8 site calls a tails up might be a nice updo for you to try. I'm sure you'll have no problems with layers here (as long as you can get everything into a ponytail that is).

Roscata
March 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
I have slippery hair too which makes it a nightmare to get updos to stay but a dream to detangle. My advice is this: add something to your hair to make it stay better (water, aloe vera gel, oil) and/or try spin pins (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/goody-simple-styles-spin-hair-pin/ID=prod6024772-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Beauty) in stead of regular pins (they stay better).

What is APL length? I can't figure out what this acronymn means! Help. I see it all the time, too.

APL = Arm Pit Length

ladyshep
March 3rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cooool! your hair is getting longer! :cheese:

Spin pins perhaps would help?

jc10event
March 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have problems putting mine up most of the time also. What I end up doing most of the time is braiding it first.
My favorite thing to do with my hair is a high pony. I very seldom get it to work though.
I like what most of the others have to say.
Just want to give you encouragement to stay with longer lengths. Enjoy your beautiful hair any way you can.
Let it hang down as Mich as you can and let the whole world smile at you.

Flossiebell
March 4th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions :)
Will have to run out and get some spin pins and the gibson tuck looks lovely. I will have to find out how to do a peacock twist as I have never heard of that.
So happy now as I was so frustrated yesterday I was almost in tears. I really want to grow to tailbone but thought I'd never be able to cope with it if I can't do anything with it this length :)

Libbylou
March 4th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I have very fine, slippery hair and I find that if I do a french twist or peacock twist on slightly damp hair it holds very well.
I'm into mostly natural products but man, I have to have the hair spray for the pesky layers.