PDA

View Full Version : Confused with the hair lenght measurement

StellaKatherine
March 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have this little problem... I have never in my life meassured my own hair before i came to this community. Now that i came here i was kinda " forced" to meassure, but it making me only feel confused. Every single time i meassure it gives me longer and longer meassurement. I know you might say " Your hair growing", but it can't grow few inches in one month - can it ? I'm scarried to meassure now as it always shows different result lol

First time i measured my hair it showed around hmm 26 inches if i remember correctly. Then i started to wonder how in the world girls here have longer hair (in inches) than me and are not even close to their waist ? Btw i have a very long back as well so that can't be the reason. So i meassured again and got 28 inches - i said ok not bad. Yesterday i meassured again after i washed my hair and let it dryout and got somehow 32 inches. Ehh, i am sure i'm measuring now somewhere and somehow in the wrond way lol

How are you measuring your hair? How can you be positive that you really gained some hair growth?

littleizz
March 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
The easiest way to measure consistently is to place the end of the tape right at your hairline between your eyes, then just follow it down the back of your head. Wet/dry measurements will vary sometimes, but hopefully that will level things out for you :)

Honestly, don't feel pressured to measure. I for one, look more at APL/BSL/MBL/waist, etc. For one person 29" could be a very different length than another person just because of body shapes. If I see inches on someone's stats it really doesn't give me as good a mental image as if they do milestone measurements.

mzBANGBANG
March 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
What I do is take a white ribbon and start it at my forehead... drape the ribbon down the back of my head and mark with my fingers where the longest part is. Then, I mark it with a pen and date it. My problem is that I sometimes get results that are WAY off, too. Like, once after a trim I measured only a quarter of an inch taken off so I was happy! But next month when I measured, apparently I had gotten more off than I thought (it was about an inch shorter!). I don't know that there is really a good way to track growth with measuring, at least not for me. Today I was contemplating measuring from the bottom of my earlobes because then at least I feel like I can see what I am doing and get it more accurate.

HintOfMint
March 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
I tried measuring at first, but due to waves, tipping your head back and a whole host of other factors, it's a cumbersome and annoying process.

I just go by landmarks on my body and I stand in the same spot and look at the same spot on the wall to make sure I'm not tipping my head back differently. It's good enough for government work. However, if you're trying some treatment and you really want to see in numbers how fast or slow your hair is growing, then I suppose it's not as effective. Otherwise, there's no need to think as much about measurement.

StellaKatherine
March 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hmmm it is good to see i am not the only one. It just made me wonder how some girls can be so sure about their montly hairgrow. My ends do wave now more which could result in a "shorter" measuring sometimes? Haha, i feel i'm little obsessing with my hair since i joined here :D

Amber_Maiden
March 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hmmm it is good to see i am not the only one. It just made me wonder how some girls can be so sure about their montly hairgrow. My ends do wave now more which could result in a "shorter" measuring sometimes? Haha, i feel i'm little obsessing with my hair since i joined here :D

Don't worry too much about it- you don't have to measure. I don't, and if I do, it's very rarely.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
The first time I ever measured my hair was to join this community. I think my hair is too curly/wavy, and the ends are too unmanageable to ever really get an accurate idea of growth. According to my measurement, my hair hadn't grown at all this past month. I know this can't really be true so I'm not worrying about it. Maybe I'll measure again in a month just for fun and see where I'm (supposedly) at.

Juneii
March 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I have long since stopped measuring my hair, it somehow changes every time for me and isn't totally accurate. You don't have to measure by inches, you can just go by "landmarks" on your body (waist, hip, etc.) and know it has grown longer because it looks like it has gone farther past the point from last month.

jeanniet
March 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
I agree that for many people, using pictures and milestones is better than measuring. I would drive myself crazy if I measured. All you really want to know is that your hair is growing, so however you determine that is up to you. :)

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
I have that problem too. I got where I go by this non moving items. Like bras put it on and see where your hair is in relative to it. I'm at arm pit length I think but I want bra strap as my next goal so I put on a proper fitiing bra and measure to it goal markers like that. Next will be my ribs middle of back my 6th rib then my last rib 1 bottom rib for almost waist and so fourth things that don't move. Be sure to hold your head natural upright position.

heidi w.
March 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
1. It helps to have a second person assisting you.

2. Measure hair when completely dry. Wet vs dry measurements can change.

3. The international standard or Guinness standard is to place a tape measure at the start of the tape at the forehead hairline. Then draw the tape over the top of the head and down the length behind the head, in the center of the head, and measure the longest length (which is traditionally around center at the back of the head).

4. Yes, in growth spurts one can go well beyond a half inch of gain per month, which is the average for most people. I've had some months in a row where I grew 3 inches in a month, repetitively for over a year.

That is the way to measure hair length. Another way, is to note where on the body it is hitting, approximately. It can be at Bra Strap Length (BSL); mid-back; waist; hip (such as top of hips); tailbone, Classic length which is the bottom of one's butt, mid-thigh, knee length, mid calf, ankle length and floor length.

I am a short person and my hair looks very long because my height is so short. In truth I have relatively short hair. I know some women who are much taller and they have full-lenth body hair which is naturally far longer than my hair although my hair is about the full length of my body height.

heidi w.

torrilin
March 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
First time i measured my hair it showed around hmm 26 inches if i remember correctly. Then i started to wonder how in the world girls here have longer hair (in inches) than me and are not even close to their waist ?

Well, if my hair is 26", it's touching my bra strap but not covering it. My head is 24" around, so my head is pretty big. "Normal" is 20-22". And head size isn't really something you can tell just by looking. My brother in law is 6'6" and has a 20" head. I'm only 5'6", and neither one of us has a funny looking disproportionate head if you just look. You have to measure to be able to tell whose head is larger.

In addition to my huge head, I have short legs with a 29" inseam. So that means most of my height is in my torso, and at that point it makes perfect sense that it takes 32-34" of hair to look like waist on me. My head and torso size are pretty average for a woman who is in the 5'10-6'2" range, and while that's tall, it's not all that shocking a height. And guys aren't proportioned all that differently from women in terms of height and torso size, and there are simply scads of men who are 5'10" or so :D. So it works out that a lot of folks would measure out to something about like me.

shawty
March 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
I don't measure! I go by body landmarks!

Shesta
March 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Don't worry too much about what the measuring tape says. I also get inconsistent results sometimes (quite often). Take a stripped shirt and use the stripes as landmarks. Many people here use it this method.

Avital88
March 3rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
i measure my hair,and i feel like its usually accurate..i also have layers ,i henna and have an undercut, so i follow my growth like that..
But its true measuring can be hard,thats why i go by pics and bodyparts mostly

patienceneeded
March 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I don't measure at all, like many others I use body indicators. The easiest thing is to just take a picture though (if you have a camera with a timer). Wear the same shirt for a length-check picture each time, I have a bright blue shirt with thin white stripes I wear for this purpose. It's easier to see that your hair HAS grown (despite what it seems like) if you take a picture every month or so. I put the camera in the same spot for every pic, and set the timer. I stand in the same place and try to stand the same way each time. It's not 100% perfect, but it seems to be mostly accurate. I don't post or upload all those pics, I just take them so I can see for myself that my hair has grown. Some I do put in my album, most I don't.

StellaKatherine
March 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
I guess i haven't been measuring right. I've been normally asking my bf if i reached the end of my longest hair and he said " yeah", but his yeah could be easely 3 inch higher than my actual lenght lol

Usually i never measured my hair and i think in a way it was more relaxing this way. I know my hair is close to 2 inch under my waist and i probably will notice when it starts to get in a way when puting trousers on haha. I will try to start taking photos maybe every 2-3 month ? To see if any changes there :D

StellaKatherine
March 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Well, if my hair is 26", it's touching my bra strap but not covering it. My head is 24" around, so my head is pretty big. "Normal" is 20-22". And head size isn't really something you can tell just by looking. My brother in law is 6'6" and has a 20" head. I'm only 5'6", and neither one of us has a funny looking disproportionate head if you just look. You have to measure to be able to tell whose head is larger.

In addition to my huge head, I have short legs with a 29" inseam. So that means most of my height is in my torso, and at that point it makes perfect sense that it takes 32-34" of hair to look like waist on me. My head and torso size are pretty average for a woman who is in the 5'10-6'2" range, and while that's tall, it's not all that shocking a height. And guys aren't proportioned all that differently from women in terms of height and torso size, and there are simply scads of men who are 5'10" or so :D. So it works out that a lot of folks would measure out to something about like me.

Ohh i know how it feels. I myself 5 '8 and 22,4 inch head. But i have very long back and kinda shorter legs. Actually when i am seating people think i am taller than i am even tho you can't say i am short eather. But yeah it takes LONG time to reach waist and more time to get to hips and then i have a hmm.. " delicious" or "huge" or how you want to call it round butt, so it will take even longer to get to classical but after that there is matter of inches anywhere else lol :D

Pierre
March 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
I measured a few days ago after not measuring for several months (my measuring tape was hiding in my winter jacket, so I bought some more and then found it in the pocket). I don't measure often because I put my hair up soon after washing. I have curly fairytale ends, and one side grows faster than the other, so I got something like 87, 91, and 95, and averaged the largest two.

As it's hard for me to get a precise measurement, I compare my current length to that several months ago, and I watch my roots between hennas. 93 cm is about hip or tailbone on me. My last measurement was at or just past waist.