PDA

View Full Version : Should I trim?

kaned_ferret
March 3rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
I've been growing for about 18 months so far, from shaved to I think around flip length? It sits on my shoulders mostly now at any rate. I haven't cut anything other than my fringe in all this time. Recently I am noticing a couple of sections, mostly the front bit (but not fringed bits - banged for those of you across the pond) are getting more tangly at the bottom, and the ends are seeming a little rough. There are the tell tale white dots of breakage. It's nothing major.

Am I best to get a trim, or can I just merrily continue my benign neglect for a while longer (well not total neglect, I only finger comb, use coconut oil and CO washing). I plan on S+Ding as a general maintenance as my hair gets longer, but right now it's a bit difficult to see properly as it's not quite long enough to pull in front of me to get a good peek at!

Thoughts and experiences anyone?

MegaMystery
March 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I would get a trim, but i actually like trims :P. The thing is, right now the damage (white dots, tangling) seems like nothing major, but it can only get worse. Damage travels up your hair, so if you don't get rid of it now it might eventually cost you a lot of length instead of the 1/2 inch you might lose now. After you trim, you can go on maintaining your hair with S&D, right now it seems like too much damage for S&D and your hair might be just a little too short to do a proper S&D.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Maktub
March 3rd, 2012, 09:02 AM
I would trimm the tangly ends a bit, but it's very personnal

woolyleprechaun
March 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Id go for trimming it. I think its the hardest thing about the first few years growing from very short, but frequent trims now will reward you later on ;)

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'm not an expert, I've had several failed attempts to reach waist length. But I do feel that it is important to trim 4 times a year. Even if you only take 1/4" off. I think it keeps the ends healthy and prevents split ends from traveling up. Also, if the ends are old and dry than when you brush or comb your hair your comb snags on them, causing further damage and breakage.

So maintain your ends. That is my advise.:)

whitedove
March 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
I would get a trim. Hopefully it will grow to SnD length before you think about trimming again :)

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
I vote for a slight trim also.

You might want to make sure your hair has enough moisture as dry ends can be caused by lack of moisture in your hair.

kaned_ferret
March 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys, I was erring on the side of trimming, my sister is a hairdresser afterall so I have no excuse really! Thanks for the mention of moisture Madora, dry hair is something I've battled with my entire life, I have some sneaking suspicions there's at least a hint of genetics about it thanks to being a redhead and the whole family, both sides having the same hair type. It is a LOT more moisturised / healthy looking now than it has ever been just thanks to the care regime I'm using on it. I also think those couple of little bits are getting more damaged than the rest because they're the shortest bits when it's pulled back into an updo, making them the bits that get the most friction on them atm. Better book in with my sister!