PDA

View Full Version : Ocean water & sun?

SunlightShines
March 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I live very close to the beaches and would love to get back out in the sand again this summer! (Which seems to be on it's way fast in Florida) There is something so relaxing about the beach and feeling the sand under my feet, but what about the effect on my hair?! :)

I've looked but can't find anything in the forums about the effects of Ocean water. Is it good or bad for already damaged hair? Should I use something to protect it before or maybe use something clarifying afterwards?

My scalp and my skin used to love it. I remember it making my hair kind of thick and sticky feeling, but those highlights and waves were really a great look! Keep in mind... I was " a lot" younger then, so how my hair will react now is still a big question mark!

I want to make sure I protect my hair the best way. What about using sun screen on my head? I have to protect my part too or I'll get sunburn on my scalp! OUCH!!

Sorry if I rambled on, but I would really love to get your advise on the over all effect from Ocean water to Sun to Sunscreens! Thank you!

missoj
March 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
I think sea salt my be drying to your hair, so if you go swimming either use a swimming cap or apply leave in conditioner before swimming and treat afterwards.
I've never used sunscreen on my head before but I have seen in stores hair products that contain sunscreen, and yes use sunscreen on your parting, it hasn't personally happened to me, but some women have gotten sunburnt where their hair is parted.

Amber_Maiden
March 3rd, 2012, 08:35 AM
I second the swim cap if you are really serious about your hair being damaged. I personally wouldn't worry that much about the salt or the sun, though. Your hair can probably take it- it was designed to protect your scalp from the sun. A little sunscreen wouldn't hurt, however.

SoulOfTheSea
March 3rd, 2012, 08:43 AM
I grew up on the beach and I also went this summer, so I will tell you how I protected my hair.

I thoroughly detangle my hair and then divide it into two parts (you're going to make pigtails, you could also just french braid it into one ponytail, it's up to you). Then I spray my hair with water, and then coat my hair liberally with conditioner and possibly olive oil as well, just depends how I'm feeling that day. Then just braid tightly, and voila! Keep your hair like this all day and you won't get tangles. Make sure to also just CO when you are done with your day at the beach, shampoo will be too harsh.

Also, sunscreen on your scalp is never a bad idea.

HTH. :flower:

SunlightShines
March 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
I grew up on the beach and I also went this summer, so I will tell you how I protected my hair.

I thoroughly detangle my hair and then divide it into two parts (you're going to make pigtails, you could also just french braid it into one ponytail, it's up to you). Then I spray my hair with water, and then coat my hair liberally with conditioner and possibly olive oil as well, just depends how I'm feeling that day. Then just braid tightly, and voila! Keep your hair like this all day and you won't get tangles. Make sure to also just CO when you are done with your day at the beach, shampoo will be too harsh.

Also, sunscreen on your scalp is never a bad idea.

HTH. :flower:

That sounds great! I never thought about combining all three before.

I've been thinking about trying CO, but wonder does it make hair look oily at the scalp?

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Wear a white cotton scarf on your head to protect your hair and scalp.

As far as sea water is concerned, Dr. George Michael recommended applying a creme rinse, starting at the scalp and working it through to the ends of the hair.

After you're through in the water, rinse with plain water to remove the plankton of the salt water.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Maybe oiling it before you get in would help? That or lots of conditioner. I used to live right by a beach a few years ago and reading your post has made me really miss it.

heidi w.
March 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ocean water is salty. Getting the hair all wet and coating with oil or conditioner prior to entering the water can be helpful, it's claimed.

I love the beach, but I don't love sunburns! I burn easily in the sun, very easily.

heidi w.

HylianGirl
March 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM

I've been thinking about trying CO, but wonder does it make hair look oily at the scalp?

I CO wash, and my hair doesn't look greasy at all, and I don't feel like going back to shampoo ^-^ the key is using lots of condiotioner (make your hair slimy with it), massage your whole scalp with your fingers, paying speciall attention on the parts that get the most greasy, allow 5-10 min for the conditioner to act on the dirtyness and rinse really well for a couple of min ^-^

About protecting the hair, I have heard that olive oil might make the hair lighter, so I use lots of coconut oil (I think that since oil and water don't mix, then it'll keep the salty water out of my hair) and french/dutch braid, which avoid tangles as well. And don't worry, I can completelly remove the coconut oil with CO washing as well ;)

pes3108
March 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
hmm for some reason I've always loved the way my hair feels after swimming in the ocean. the curls are so soft and natural :) but my scalp always gets burned as well, so this year I'm going to wear a hat. maybe one of those big floppy ones, so it will keep sun off the face too? or if you think that's too girly... a ball cap?

SoulOfTheSea
March 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM

Some people do get oil issues, but for washing your hair after a dunk in salt water and what not, a CO is definitely not drying at all for anyone. I can even recommend COing and then doing a deeper moisture treatment after that. :)

SunlightShines
March 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
This all sounds like such great advise! Moisten, condition, then oil and braid. Lots of sunscreen for everywhere else! Then afterwards a good CO wash and deep condition. Wow, it even sounds like a spa package! :) I can't wait to get out there!

SunlightShines
March 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
hmm for some reason I've always loved the way my hair feels after swimming in the ocean. the curls are so soft and natural :) but my scalp always gets burned as well, so this year I'm going to wear a hat. maybe one of those big floppy ones, so it will keep sun off the face too? or if you think that's too girly... a ball cap?

I love the big floppy hats! They are very stylish and feminine. :) A ball cap is great for sports and exercise but doesn't give as much coverage!