PDA

View Full Version : Has brushing improved the condition of your hair?

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hi, I would like to hear from people about brushing with a bbb and what it has done to improve the quality and condition of their hair.:)

I've been reading that brushing with a bbb is essential for good hair growth regardless of whether or not you have fine hair, or coarse hair. Thin hair or thick hair. Straight or culy hair. The long hair guru's seem to all agree that brushing is important. (Brushing your hair standing and then also bending over, on a daily basis).

In the past I've given up brushing because I felt my hair was "not suited" to it. When I brush bending over and then stand straight I have a big rats nest that I have to spend five minutes trying to get it to lay flat again. And also, more hair comes out in the brush.

But, does that mean I shouldn't brush my hair? I don't know? Maybe it just means that it will take me longer because I have to detangle inbetween.

So please tell me how brushing has effected the condition of your hair and scalp and also how long have you been brushing with a bbb? Was it a struggle at first?

Iolanthe13
March 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
I haven't been brushing with a BBB for long - just a week or so - and it's been causing problems. I had the same problem with the upside-down brushing; the tangles are HORRIBLE when I stand back up, though the volume is nice. My hair looks healthier and feels soft if I brush standing up, but even still I have a lot of new splits. Don't quite know what to think...

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
That is interesting because we have the same hair type.:)

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hi, I would like to hear from people about brushing with a bbb and what it has done to improve the quality and condition of their hair.:)

I've been reading that brushing with a bbb is essential for good hair growth regardless of whether or not you have fine hair, or coarse hair. Thin hair or thick hair. Straight or culy hair. The long hair guru's seem to all agree that brushing is important. (Brushing your hair standing and then also bending over, on a daily basis).

In the past I've given up brushing because I felt my hair was "not suited" to it. When I brush bending over and then stand straight I have a big rats nest that I have to spend five minutes trying to get it to lay flat again. And also, more hair comes out in the brush.

But, does that mean I shouldn't brush my hair? I don't know? Maybe it just means that it will take me longer because I have to detangle inbetween.

So please tell me how brushing has effected the condition of your hair and scalp and also how long have you been brushing with a bbb? Was it a struggle at first?

I've been using a pure bbb since 1960. It has kept my hair in great condition..soft, shiny and healthy. This is a pic from the late 1980s:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87275

Daily brushing helps distribute your hair's natural oil, provides increased blood circulation through the hair follicles, and removes dead hair cells and lint.

The problem that you experienced with tangles is due to the way you detangle. You have to detangle gently BEFORE you brush.

If interested, I've written articles on detangling your hair, brushing with a bbb and air drying (see the Articles area).

Brushing is not recommended for curlies.

The "rats nest" you desribed can happen easily..if you don't use the proper method of detangling. It can be avoided if you take certain measures (as explained in my detangling article).

You always detangle first before brushing. If you do it correctly, you shouldn't lose a lot of hair via brushing. I don't lose more than 20 to 30 hairs a day (average fallout is 80 to 100).

It was never a struggle to brush my hair because I always detangled slowly and gently before the brush was used.

I do NOT recommend any type of brush but a pure 100% boar bristle type. The boar bristle is the closest thing in nature that resembles a human hair. It interacts well with it..provided you use the brush correctly, and detangle FIRST.

infinity_girl
March 3rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Does a BBB work on very curly, frizzy hair? Wouldn't it totally damage it?

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
Wow! Thank you Madora! You were blessed with your head of hair. I will look for your article and read that.

It is interesting you say don't brush if one has curly hair. Why is that? Mr. Morocco says that even curly hairs should brush daily.

I had a Jewish friend growing up who had an amazing head of thick curly black hair and her mother used to brush it daily.

Also, what about wavy hair, or those who are inbetween straight and curly? Do they fall into the "brush", or "don't brush" category?

Gorgeous hair Madora.:)

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Wow! Thank you Madora! You were blessed with your head of hair. I will look for your article and read that.

It is interesting you say don't brush if one has curly hair. Why is that? Mr. Morocco says that even curly hairs should brush daily.

I had a Jewish friend growing up who had an amazing head of thick curly black hair and her mother used to brush it daily.

Also, what about wavy hair, or those who are inbetween straight and curly? Do they fall into the "brush", or "don't brush" category?

Gorgeous hair Madora.:)

Thank you, Annalouise!

The reason brushing is not recomended for curlies is because of the curly hair structure. Curly hair needs a lot of TLC when handling and is better served by gentle wide tooth combing (or by finger combing).

All other types of hair would benefit from brushing..but it cannot be emphaszied enough that the hair has to be properly detangled before the brushing begins.

How you handle your hair after the initial brushing makes a great difference too. It is not a good practice to toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you're finished (presuming you've been brushing it in the bent at the waist position).

Instead, you just part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in 2 sections. Hold each section in your hands, then stand erect. Take the hair in each hand and gently place it behind each shoulder and let the hair fall gently down your back, then style as desired.

Brushing is beneficial for good hair health. My hair is slightly wavy and medium fine. I had a LOT of it, back when that picture was taken.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hi Madora,
Yes, I realized after I asked the question about wavy hair that you have wavy hair.:) So obviously it is good for wavy hair.

I tried it using the technique you suggested and it worked! Dividing the hair and then putting it down gently allowed it to sort itself out without going into a tangle.:D Yay!

One more question if you don't mind - is the bbb supposed to penetrate through all your hair to the scalp? Or is it supposed to float over the hair?

I have two bbb and one is softer and it floats over the hair, only touching the scalp at the beginning of the stroke. And the other bbb has coarser bristles, and it will penetrate to the scalp from the start through to when it leaves the scalp. Which is better?

I think the coarser bristles are a bit scratchy on my scalp. They are not supposed to scratch the scalp are they?

Yes, you sure did have a LOT of hair. That is why I said you were "blessed". It is great to have so much hair, it makes for a nice thick curtain!

bumblebums
March 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
There are no haircare tips that work for everybody.

I followed the BBB advice (which came from a person with silky straight hair) and found that it turned my hair into a hideous oil slick on top and a rat's nest explosion below the ears. My hair absolutely does not respond well to brushing. If you are a fine-haired person in the 2-range, you might have a similar experience.

In following advice on haircare, pay attention to the hair type of the person giving it. The closer the type is to yours, the more relevant will the advice be.

Here's a thread that shows what happens when curlies brush their hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003

Renate
March 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
I don't know if it does improves the hair's condition, but I am certain it does distribute the natural oils. Once I forgot the brush and my hair felt greasy on the third day instead of the fourth.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Bumble...thanks for the link, that was fun looking at the pictures. I think that if they brushed their hair (I'm talking about the 3's), and then re-wet it it would activate the curls again. But I must say, I rather like the brushed curly hair look.:D Especially on the African American hair because it looks so fluffy and big.:) I don't think it looks bad brushed but I understand if they don't wish to style it like that. Once could still brush it before washing to get the effects of brushing for the scalp.

I don't know? I don't have that type of hair. I'm just a 2a, wavy. But, I can understand how it would still be beneficial even if the hair is more fragile so it must be brushed carefully.

Like I said, I had one friend who had very thick 3c hair and her mother brushed her hair daily and her hair was gorgeous. And she did wear it out with the brushed look. I guess it's just a matter of preference.:)

StellaKatherine
March 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
I've changed a while ago from normal brushing to wooded comb and BBB. Interestingly i've noticed that my hair started to curl on the ends. So i started to wonder if my hair is actually more wavy naturally than i thought and i just been brushing my curls off (i'll going to take photo after i wash next time and let it dry, so that can see those natural waves without braiding affecting the look ). As after brushing with the normal brush my hair did look fluffy..

But yeah it feels that BBB makes my hair look more shiny and healthy looking. So i would say it does affected my hair condition :)

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Madora,
Yes, I realized after I asked the question about wavy hair that you have wavy hair.:) So obviously it is good for wavy hair.

I tried it using the technique you suggested and it worked! Dividing the hair and then putting it down gently allowed it to sort itself out without going into a tangle.:D Yay!

One more question if you don't mind - is the bbb supposed to penetrate through all your hair to the scalp? Or is it supposed to float over the hair?

I have two bbb and one is softer and it floats over the hair, only touching the scalp at the beginning of the stroke. And the other bbb has coarser bristles, and it will penetrate to the scalp from the start through to when it leaves the scalp. Which is better?

I think the coarser bristles are a bit scratchy on my scalp. They are not supposed to scratch the scalp are they?

Yes, you sure did have a LOT of hair. That is why I said you were "blessed". It is great to have so much hair, it makes for a nice thick curtain!

The bbb penetration issue is a hard nut to crack. Usually, the bristles don't reach the scalp...unless you put pressure on the brush...that is, bear down on the brush when brushing. This is considered a "no no"..but I do it anyway with no harm.

I prefer a bristle that is moderately stiff and a trifle flexible. The brushes with very stiff, unwieldly bristles wouldn't work with my hair.

The softer bristle brushes do nothing for my hair and I can't see wasting time using them.

The effectiveness of the boar bristles (i.e. feeling them on the scalp) can also be helped by the way you position the brush...i.e. the canopy hair is easily reached by brushing from the nape and down to the ends.

The under canopy hair is reached by placing the brush right at the front hairline, brushing into the scalp, then slowly lifting the brush up about two inches and then slowly out and down to the ends (kind of like a gentleman doffing his cap to a lady). The motion is fluid..no jerking.

I divide my brushing thus: 50 strokes on the top canopy and 50 on the lower. Of course if you prefer less strokes, no harm there..but consistency plays a part. If you brush 30 stokes..do it every day..not here and there. And remember to use the palm of your other hand after each stroke of the brush to help reduce static made by the brushing.

I'm so happy the "dividing" technique worked for you! I've found that the more control you have over your strands, the less chance for tangling.

HintOfMint
March 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Madora is very right about detangling BEFORE brushing. Widetooth combs allow you to isolate tangles and undo them gently, whereas a brush will get caught on a tangle and you can't see where exactly the pull comes from and it is so tempting to just rip through the tangle instead of working through it.

Brushing, I've found, is mainly for the scalp, smoothing styles, and distributing product or natural oils.

When I'm brushing or combing my scalp, I don't really count how many strokes, I just do it until my scalp feels "satisfied," like after a good back scratch.

Other times I use a BBB to smooth out sections of hair before putting them in rollers, or when I'm wrapping my hair. I'll also use them to distribute product like shea butter, oils or pomade to get Veronica Lake type waves at the ends.

So, it hasn't really improved the condition of my hair, but it makes my scalp feel good, and my ends look nice when I need it.

heidi w.
March 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Boar Bristle Brushing (BBB) is NOT intended for detangling. That's the first thing to understand. It is for Polishing the hair, that is, to impart shine/sheen, to create softness and to distribute applied oils or sebum; and some like that it removes lint out of the hair. It can have benefits for some regarding the removal of dead skin cells.

IF you are flipping your hair forward and back this is why you have terrible tangles. One simply draws the hair forward, gently, over the head; and the same when taking it back behind you. Everything is done gently and slowly.

If you BBB, one is going to be switching back and forth between a detangling comb or fingers and the BBB a bit. If one encounters a tangle while BBBing, one works this out with fingers or detangling comb, and then resumes BBBing once the tangle is removed.

I only BBB after a full hair wash and air dried, and after applying oil to my length, and after detangling is achieved.

Curly hair types may find it difficult or impossible to BBB as it loosens the coiled loops of hair that create curl, and thus can end up with poofiness.

Do not BBB wet hair, ever. Only dry hair.

There's a few other things to know, but this is a good starter kit to get you going. Madora, BBB's every day and has good suggestions too.

heidi w.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
A long time ago I used to brush my hair bending over just for fun, and I also found that I'd have to de-tangle it all over again once I stood up straight. That phase didn't last very long for me! I've only been using a bbb for about a month so it's too soon to notice any kind of real change in my hair, but it does help transfer the oil from the top of my head down the hair shafts, making the whole lot look a little less greasy in the run-up to wash day.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
The bbb penetration issue is a hard nut to crack. Usually, the bristles don't reach the scalp...unless you put pressure on the brush...that is, bear down on the brush when brushing. This is considered a "no no"..but I do it anyway with no harm.

I prefer a bristle that is moderately stiff and a trifle flexible. The brushes with very stiff, unwieldly bristles wouldn't work with my hair.

The softer bristle brushes do nothing for my hair and I can't see wasting time using them.

The effectiveness of the boar bristles (i.e. feeling them on the scalp) can also be helped by the way you position the brush...i.e. the canopy hair is easily reached by brushing from the nape and down to the ends.

The under canopy hair is reached by placing the brush right at the front hairline, brushing into the scalp, then slowly lifting the brush up about two inches and then slowly out and down to the ends (kind of like a gentleman doffing his cap to a lady). The motion is fluid..no jerking.

I divide my brushing thus: 50 strokes on the top canopy and 50 on the lower. Of course if you prefer less strokes, no harm there..but consistency plays a part. If you brush 30 stokes..do it every day..not here and there. And remember to use the palm of your other hand after each stroke of the brush to help reduce static made by the brushing.

I'm so happy the "dividing" technique worked for you! I've found that the more control you have over your strands, the less chance for tangling.

Ok, thanks. I get what you mean now when you said "doffing his cap". :) I will try that next time I brush. And, I will also incorporate the hand after each brush to prevent static.

Yes! the dividing technique works great! I was flipping my head back and that creates a disaster.

Great advice! Thanks. Hopefully this will improve my hair and prevent the ends from drying out because the sebum never reaches them.

I am thinking of ordering the bbb from the George Michael salon in NY. I don't think either of my brushes are ultimately the best because one is very soft and the other is too firm.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Madora is very right about detangling BEFORE brushing. Widetooth combs allow you to isolate tangles and undo them gently, whereas a brush will get caught on a tangle and you can't see where exactly the pull comes from and it is so tempting to just rip through the tangle instead of working through it.

Brushing, I've found, is mainly for the scalp, smoothing styles, and distributing product or natural oils.

When I'm brushing or combing my scalp, I don't really count how many strokes, I just do it until my scalp feels "satisfied," like after a good back scratch.

Other times I use a BBB to smooth out sections of hair before putting them in rollers, or when I'm wrapping my hair. I'll also use them to distribute product like shea butter, oils or pomade to get Veronica Lake type waves at the ends.

So, it hasn't really improved the condition of my hair, but it makes my scalp feel good, and my ends look nice when I need it.

Thanks for sharing your tips.:) I also think it is satisfying to the scalp. I don't think my hair follicles really get exercised otherwise. Then they get sore from lying in the same direction every day. And yes, you are correct, detangling before is a must. That is very true.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Boar Bristle Brushing (BBB) is NOT intended for detangling. That's the first thing to understand. It is for Polishing the hair, that is, to impart shine/sheen, to create softness and to distribute applied oils or sebum; and some like that it removes lint out of the hair. It can have benefits for some regarding the removal of dead skin cells.

IF you are flipping your hair forward and back this is why you have terrible tangles. One simply draws the hair forward, gently, over the head; and the same when taking it back behind you. Everything is done gently and slowly.

If you BBB, one is going to be switching back and forth between a detangling comb or fingers and the BBB a bit. If one encounters a tangle while BBBing, one works this out with fingers or detangling comb, and then resumes BBBing once the tangle is removed.

I only BBB after a full hair wash and air dried, and after applying oil to my length, and after detangling is achieved.

Curly hair types may find it difficult or impossible to BBB as it loosens the coiled loops of hair that create curl, and thus can end up with poofiness.

Do not BBB wet hair, ever. Only dry hair.

There's a few other things to know, but this is a good starter kit to get you going. Madora, BBB's every day and has good suggestions too.

heidi w.

Thanks Heidi. I tend to be rather impatient and impatience and hair brushing don't go together.:D It will be a lesson in patience for me because of the constant need to stop and detangle instead of ramming the brush through...:( Oh, that is bad. Then I hear the dreaded "snap" sound. Not good.:(

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
A long time ago I used to brush my hair bending over just for fun, and I also found that I'd have to de-tangle it all over again once I stood up straight. That phase didn't last very long for me! I've only been using a bbb for about a month so it's too soon to notice any kind of real change in my hair, but it does help transfer the oil from the top of my head down the hair shafts, making the whole lot look a little less greasy in the run-up to wash day.

That is good to know. Because perhaps then I can delay washing it for another day.:o If you use Madora's technique of dividing the hair and holding the sections in half, and then gently dropping them when you stand up, it does help with the tangles. Try it and let us know.

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM

Melusine, you might try this:

When you're finished brushing your hair (presuming you've been brushing it in the bent at the waist position),check once again for any snarls (usually there are none but it is best to be proactive in getting rid of any tangles) part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in 2 sections. Hold each section in your hands, then stand erect. Take the hair in each hand and gently place it behind each shoulder and let the hair fall gently down your back, then style as desired.

Handling your hair this way helps eliminate most tangles after you have returned to the upright position.

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
@Heidi W...

Yes, indeed, slowly and gently are the key elements in detangling and brushing!

Alas, bringing the hair backward after brushing never worked for me. Tangle City.

However, what I found is that after I'm finished brushing, I check the hair for any tangles that might have been made by the brushing (pretty unlikely but just to be on the safe side), then I part my hair from nape to forehead and separate it in two sections.

I grab each section with each hand, stand erect, then gently direct each hand over my shoulders and let the hair fall down my back, check for tangles once more, then style.

The dividing of the hair and subsequent handling just about eliminates any possibilities of tangling.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
[quote=Madora;2025331]When you're finished brushing your hair (presuming you've been brushing it in the bent at the waist position),check once again for any snarls (usually there are none but it is best to be proactive in getting rid of any tangles) part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in 2 sections. Hold each section in your hands, then stand erect. Take the hair in each hand and gently place it behind each shoulder and let the hair fall gently down your back, then style as desired.

I haven't actually brushed my hair this way for many years, but I think I might try this method. Thanks for the tip!

hototogisu
March 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
BBBing has very much improved the quality of my hair. After a thorough BBB my hair is a bit flat, yes, but it shines like silk and my scalp feels wonderful. I feel like my lengths and ends have been much less crunchy since I've started thoroughly BBBing once or twice a day.

I actually use three brushes when I BBB, just because I have them. I do plan on investing in a Mason Pearson when I can. I first divide my hair in half, parting from hairline to nape, and pull the halves forward over my shoulders. I thoroughly thoroughly detangle using a Tangle Teezer, then I brush each section really thoroughly using a firm BBB. I then 'polish' using a soft BBB, lifting small sections by the root and brushing from root to ends. Then I brush it all back using the firm BBB and typically braid.

Out of anything, my scalp has been feeling much less hard and tight with regular brushing. I have fairly straight, very very fine hair though, so I'm kind of the BBBing 'type.'

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
[quote=Madora;2025331]When you're finished brushing your hair (presuming you've been brushing it in the bent at the waist position),check once again for any snarls (usually there are none but it is best to be proactive in getting rid of any tangles) part your hair from nape to forehead so that it is in 2 sections. Hold each section in your hands, then stand erect. Take the hair in each hand and gently place it behind each shoulder and let the hair fall gently down your back, then style as desired.

I haven't actually brushed my hair this way for many years, but I think I might try this method. Thanks for the tip!

Just a note of caution re: brushing in the bent at the waist position. After you have thoroughly detangled, limit your strokes. Your hair follicles have not been used to being directed in the upside down position and might protest a bit at the outstart.

Once you feel you've found your niche, then you can add additional strokes - every so often - until you reach your goal.

Annalouise
March 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
BBBing has very much improved the quality of my hair. After a thorough BBB my hair is a bit flat, yes, but it shines like silk and my scalp feels wonderful. I feel like my lengths and ends have been much less crunchy since I've started thoroughly BBBing once or twice a day.

I actually use three brushes when I BBB, just because I have them. I do plan on investing in a Mason Pearson when I can. I first divide my hair in half, parting from hairline to nape, and pull the halves forward over my shoulders. I thoroughly thoroughly detangle using a Tangle Teezer, then I brush each section really thoroughly using a firm BBB. I then 'polish' using a soft BBB, lifting small sections by the root and brushing from root to ends. Then I brush it all back using the firm BBB and typically braid.

Out of anything, my scalp has been feeling much less hard and tight with regular brushing. I have fairly straight, very very fine hair though, so I'm kind of the BBBing 'type.'

Thanks for sharing Hototogisu. We both have fine hair so that is good to know that it has helped your ends. That is what I hope to do also, and strengthen my hair follicles. :)

Sillage
March 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
I like using my BBB because it helps distribute oil (I use a lot of oil on my hair) and makes my scalp feel refreshed. And judging from the amount of lint it picks up, the BBB does an amazing job cleaning my hair!

Annalouise
March 6th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Update
I am really enjoying the brushing routine. Thank you Madora!:):cheese:
So far, I feel it is moving the oil off my scalp and helping to condition the length. I think I will be able to wash every 2nd day already.
When I wake up in the morning my scalp is screaming: Brush me! It is so relaxing and it feels like getting a scalp massage!

Awesome. I think this habit is here to stay. However, I won't know until a few months goes by for certain.

I'm still searching for the ultimate bbb. I've noticed that if the bristles are too short, then it won't grasp my hair and then I have to brush the length in a seperate stroke because the hair falls out of the brush half way down.

I think once a get a brush with longer bristles I won't have that problem.:)

joyfulheart18
March 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Is there a particular type of boar bristle brush that you would recommend? I am curious to start this with my slightly wavy hair but want to make sure I am getting the right kind. Thanks!

Annalouise
March 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I am still looking for the best bbb. Obviously you want one that is 100% natural boar's bristle. I have two and neither of them work very well. One is too soft, so it won't pick up my hair. And the other has too short of bristles so it won't keep my hair in it.

I have fine hair but you would be surprised that it still amounts to quite a bit of hair when it comes to brushing.

Maybe Madora could recommend a good brush for you. I would say look for something that has longer bristles and one that does not have a rounded, convex pad. For some reason this doesn't work for me but I prefer a brush that has a flat bottom.

Maybe people could post a picture of their favorite bbb and what it looks like.