PDA

View Full Version : Only get a certain type of split ends -- is my hair trying to tell me something?

my2cats1
March 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair is generally pretty strong, but I've noticed a few splits lately. They are only the right angle or offshoot type.

Does the type of split you have tell you anything about the condition of your hair?

Drawings of the types of splits are here in this article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189

Madora
March 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
My splits, which are minimal, are usually the "Y" or "Fern" type.

Splits are an indication (usually) that you need more moisture in your hair.

If you have an abundance of a certain kind, then perhaps it is how you're wearing or sleeping on your hair that is causing that particular type of split.

If you use the crossed bobby pin method ("X") then it might be best if you discontinue it. Those crossed bobby pins put too much pressure on the delicate strands.

Using a metal hairtoy in the same place every day can cause damage too..if you don't change the location often.

hellucy
March 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Now you have got me wondering....My hair is generally in good condition but I have recently noticed some of my shed hairs have a tapering split end never any other sort of split, but I have no idea what could cause this type of split. My hair is quite dry so I always use moisturising S&C and apply baby oil while damp, Hopefully this plus regular S&D will sort out my hair.

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
I had just posted something similar on how I have right angle splits, I have been wondering the same thing, is there something that causes it? Thanks for posting this thread!

Amber_Maiden
March 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Well, if the split is at the end of your hair- regardless of kind- then maybe you aren't protecting the ends of your hair enough. I suggest making you are tucking the ends of your hair inside your buns, if you do them, and if you don't, then you might consider starting.

gracenotes
March 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
I have all kinds of splits. I'm not sure if this is from new damage, or from when my hair was short and I straightened it daily (probably primarily the latter--eek!!) The worst ones are splits-upon-splits-upon-splits, and I'm sure these are the straightener-inflicted ones. I've been gradually S&D-ing, but I think I'll eventually have to chop off about 10 inches.

Madora
March 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have all kinds of splits. I'm not sure if this is from new damage, or from when my hair was short and I straightened it daily (probably primarily the latter--eek!!) The worst ones are splits-upon-splits-upon-splits, and I'm sure these are the straightener-inflicted ones. I've been gradually S&D-ing, but I think I'll eventually have to chop off about 10 inches.

Gracenotes, you might want to investigate mineral oil to help combat hair dryness. Hair splits are mainly due to lack of moisture in the hair (and from mechanical damage from not being gentle enough with combs and brushes).

The mineral oil helps keep moisture in the hair.

Here's a link to Ktani's mineral oil article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Shesta
March 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
I get the right angled ones when I start wearing my hair predominantly in a braid. I use hair-friendly bands but still - this is the result from elastics damage.

my2cats1
March 4th, 2012, 02:11 AM
This is interesting. Thanks to all for your input!

Littlewing13
March 4th, 2012, 04:14 AM
There isnt really a difference between splits & what causes them. Essentially they are all the same. Usually caused by dryness, chemical, mechanical or environmental damage, or lack of protein.

If we zoom in on a split hair we see something like this: http://www.surviving-hairloss.com/images/split_ends.jpg
Notice the many little thready bits (technical term) along the strand, not just at the end where the split is.

The surface (cuticles) of your hair is actually covered in many little scales. The more damaged the hair the more these raise. Raised cuticles allow more moisture to escape the hair, making it harder to condition. The less moisture the more brittle & more prone to splitting.

Here shows a the raised cuticle of a hair that hs been split in two: http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/316238/530wm/P7200346-Split_end_of_hair,_SEM-SPL.jpg

& another hair that has been completely frazzled: http://dragonflyhairspablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/severe_split_end.jpg

The patterns of splits are completely random & wont tell you exactly what you are doing wrong. The fact that you have a split only tells you to use more moisture, less heat, be gentle. Pretty much everything that the LHC is about. You cant avoid splits all together, but you can delay them by treating your hair kindly.

And of course there is no way to get rid of splits other than trimming them off.

Hope that helps

Sammich
March 4th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Normally the angle ones are caused by dye damage. That's what I always got when I dyed my hair, and I have it on my pink streaks alot.

CarpeDM
March 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I get the right angled ones when I start wearing my hair predominantly in a braid. I use hair-friendly bands but still - this is the result from elastics damage.

Alas this could be the culprit for me, I wear my hair in double braids ALOT!

gracenotes
March 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Gracenotes, you might want to investigate mineral oil to help combat hair dryness. Hair splits are mainly due to lack of moisture in the hair (and from mechanical damage from not being gentle enough with combs and brushes).

The mineral oil helps keep moisture in the hair.

Here's a link to Ktani's mineral oil article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Good suggestion! I've been going back and forth about mineral oil; I might have to go pick some up and see how it works for me :) It sounds like it might be exactly what my hair needs right now.