PDA

View Full Version : Heat free styles for extremely frizzy hair

Mochaccino
March 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
My hair is naturally super frizzy, dense and thick. It seems like no matter what I do there's always a halo of frizz surrounding my "normal" hair. Many times I've had my hair blown out and flat ironed at excellent salons, usually after a cut, and my hair looks smooth and shiny at first glance, but then I notice the halo of frizz is still there. I need to get my wavy, bushy hair under control, but a certain amount of frizz is probably unavoidable for now. Hopefully most of it will go away once I finally grow out some fresh, new undamaged hair. I'm looking for styles that will control my texture, but also work with it. Any product recommendations you might have are also very welcome. I've been told to avoid heat and glue-like hair products (hair spray, gel etc), but I'm at my wit's end. Anyone else deal with this problem?

patchoulilove
March 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
I don't have a solution, but you are not alone! I will be watching this thread for tips also.:o

While my hair is temperamental, one thing that often helps is washing it in the evening and sleeping on it. I find that the next day my hair is usually less crazy than on wash day when it tends to be especially poofy. I've also noted added shine when freshly washed hair is stuffed under the hood of my coat (or underneath a knit hat)when I'm running errands. Perhaps something to do with my body heat? It tends to be softer and shinier afterward. :shrug:

einna
March 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
I would recommend a satin (polyester or silk) pillowcase. Sleeping with my hair on a smoother surface gives slip, and helps my hair look less bushy in the morning, it can also helps reducing damage to the canopy, causeing less frizz.

For hairstyles, how about a messy side braid? Then it would look as the frizz is intentional ;).
Oiling could help also, coconut oil is a favorite on this site. Just be careful putting it on, it can look greasy pretty fast. Just use a tiny bit rubbed in your palms, and then stroke it over your canopy and length. The ends can often stand a little more oil.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'd try a braid and oil my hair with an oil that will help with frizz. I like argan oil it helps my frizz and now its virtually gone. Mine was caused by a perm.

darklyndsea
March 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Frizz is mostly about hair needing more moisture, so if you're not doing it already I suggest you try CWCing (there's at least one thread and I think an article too), which has reduced my frizz. If the problem's mostly hairs that are too short to do anything but stick up, hopefully they'll grow out with time, but some hairs only grow to be a few inches long :(

chou
March 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
I think that some frizz is natural, normal and inevitable for many hair types. Fighting it too much would just cause damage. What helps my frizz halo is lightly coating my fingers in coconut oil or leave-in conditioner and twirling my fully dried waves around my finger until everything is smooth and defined. My hair is too short to do this, but I know that some people with frizzy and wavy hair have had good luck damp bunning to keep things smooth.

kitten1986
March 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
You could try wrapping your hair, I find this reduces my frizz

sfgirl
March 3rd, 2012, 02:42 AM
Have you tried an ACV rinse? It helps calm flyaways for me. Also the tiniest bit of oil smoothed over my length. Worse case scenario I just mist it and braid it.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Back when I still used cones, I used an anti-frizz serum that worked quite well. Now, the only thing that controls my own halo of frizz is washing my hair in the evening, brushing it back and braiding it securely, and then sleeping on it. That way the top part of my hair dries reasonably smoothly overnight. If I wash it in the morning, it has all day to frizz up and even brushing and smoothing won't help anymore by that point.

hototogisu
March 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
It sounds like you're fighting your natural wave pattern. Have you typed your hair properly? Wash your hair as usual, but when you get out of the shower just throw a towel over your shoulders and let your hair air dry completely without touching it.

There are loads of ways to style wavy/curly hair that reduce frizz by just not disrupting your natural wave pattern. Oddly enough, if I want to bring out my own (very weak) waves the very best thing is gel + plopping.

The Naturally Curly forums have loads of great advice on styling wavy/curly hair which could be helpful!

QMacrocarpa
March 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
I have a pretty much permanent frizz halo too. As soon as the hairs making it up grow out enough to lay flat, there's a new crop of shorties coming along, so I don't expect mine to ever go away. When I want to tame it temporarily, I use Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). I've heard that glycerin is best when the humidity is high, so I've omitted that from my winter batch. I don't find it all that "mist-able," so if you don't have an empty spray bottle handy, you could just use a plain bottle and put a bit into your hand to use.

manderly
March 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Here's my standard advice, especially for a 2c: You have more curl/wave to your hair than you think you do, and brushing it/fighting it is ending up in frizz. Why do I give this advice? Because when I started out here, many years ago, I too thought I was a 2b/2c.

Give the curly girl method (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/curly-girl-the-handbook) a try for a solid week. See what happens. You'll either end up with lovely, moisturized waves and wurls, or you'll be shocked with some unexpected curls :)

earthnut
April 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have frizzy hair too! The thing that made the biggest difference for me was drastically reducing my shampoo use and increasing my conditioner use. My old routine was using just shampoo, no conditioner, because my scalp can be oily. But when I saw the dramatic improvement when I replaced shampoo with conditioner, I realized the frizz was because my hair was too *dry* not oily! There's a conditioner-only ("CO") thread here that's very helpful. Conditioner has a little shampoo in it, so you really need very little shampoo by itself.

lapushka
April 16th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Agreeing that it's a good idea to see if the curly girl method isn't for you. Here's the Wikihow page on the method:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

BeckyAH
April 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have wavy/curly hair that is very prone to frizz. Hands down the thing that has helped me most is realizing that my hair is porous and *slowing down* the drying time. That means drying in braids, buns, or otherwise up. Letting it dry quickly means it poofs like no tomorrow, and halos out like mad. Slowing it down gives me a much, much, better result.

proo
April 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Another vote for slowing down drying time by twisting, misting frizzy parts with distilled water and applying a light coat of mineral oil.

UltraBella
April 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
My suggestion is getting a Caruso Molecular Hairsetter, it's moisturizing steam and considered a "heat free" method of curling and damage free. It's my favorite hair accessory EVER !!!! It smooths frizzy hair wonderfully. My hair is frizzy but it's not damaged, it's just my texture.

Silverbrumby
April 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
My suggestion is getting a Caruso Molecular Hairsetter, it's moisturizing steam and considered a "heat free" method of curling and damage free. It's my favorite hair accessory EVER !!!! It smooths frizzy hair wonderfully. My hair is frizzy but it's not damaged, it's just my texture.

OMG, that unit sounds amazing. Like you, I think my hair is 'naturally frizzy' even the virgin hair coming in just loves to kick up it's heels. I found one on Amazon for $36 so I think I'm going to try this. Thanks UltraBella.

DancingQueen
April 17th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Well, what I do when the frizz is too much to handle, I like to arrange the top part of my hair the way I want it, and wet it down. I put one pump of mousse in this and blow-dry on the lowest heat setting, the direction it is going. Then I put up my hair the way I want it. This really does help, even though most people on LHC don't like blow-driers. Hope you figure it out, I think I will follow this thread to get new Ideas. :)

kidari
April 17th, 2012, 01:34 AM
My advice would be to do a light oiling on damp hair (lately I love 2 drops of mineral oil) after washing and when it's almost dry contain it somehow- bun it, wrap it, do a heat-free curl set... anything until it's 100% dry. You will get a shiny, frizz-free polished hair style.

MinderMutsig
April 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Here's my standard advice, especially for a 2c: You have more curl/wave to your hair than you think you do, and brushing it/fighting it is ending up in frizz. Why do I give this advice? Because when I started out here, many years ago, I too thought I was a 2b/2c.

Give the curly girl method (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/curly-girl-the-handbook) a try for a solid week. See what happens. You'll either end up with lovely, moisturized waves and wurls, or you'll be shocked with some unexpected curls :) I agree this could definitely be the case.