PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered the beauty of a horn comb!

Pinkster8
March 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oh my goodness I am so excited right now! :D

I bought a horn comb last week on Amazon and it FINALLY came today, so after I showered I put my product in and started combing. It felt noticeably better on the length but once I got to the scalp, I can't even describe how much better it felt. I had previously been using a wide-toothed plastic comb and after I finished combing my hair with the new one, I pitched the old one in the trash! :)

Never has a more beautiful feeling touched my scalp. I am so glad I read about horn combs on here. Has anyone else switched over and been as ridiculously excited as I am? :D

Kyla
March 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Good for you, that's great. :)

Just a quick warning if you're using it on damp hair, some people's combs start to develop a smell after a while when dampened.

StPaulaGirl
March 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
I bought a horn comb a few days ago and I love it, too! Actually, I bought it along with a wood comb, and while I like the wood comb well enough, I much prefer the horn. It feels nice going through my hair, and leaves it looking so shiny and smooth.

I use the Mason Pearson wide tooth comb to detangle my damp hair after a shower, then use the horn as a finishing comb.

einna
March 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oooh, I want one. Another item for my wish list... Getting long, this list... ;)

redtuss
March 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm getting myself one of those! :D

littleizz
March 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Sweet!!! Can I trouble you to ask for the link?

Maelyssa
March 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm currently in the market for a comb. I think I'll have to try out a horn comb myself thanks to your great comments. Glad you shared!

ingvild
March 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
I know the feeling.. my wooden comb broke (it got wet, swelled up and I dropped it on the floor - crack!) so I had to use a plastic comb for a while :( I didn't get a horn comb, but I got a resin comb - bone imitation - and it's the best comb EVER! I love it so much. Never going back. Haha.

littleizz
March 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I know the feeling.. my wooden comb broke (it got wet, swelled up and I dropped it on the floor - crack!) so I had to use a plastic comb for a while :( I didn't get a horn comb, but I got a resin comb - bone imitation - and it's the best comb EVER! I love it so much. Never going back. Haha.Ooo! I'm in the market for a good comb and was thinking bakelight/bone as opposed to horn for the wet combing purposes, glad to hear you like yours :) What brand is it/ where did you get it?

ingvild
March 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ooo! I'm in the market for a good comb and was thinking bakelight/bone as opposed to horn for the wet combing purposes, glad to hear you like yours :) What brand is it/ where did you get it?

The brand is NuBone, it was purchased from a Norwegian shop but googling for it gave a bunch of other shops too :)

littleizz
March 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
The brand is NuBone, it was purchased from a Norwegian shop but googling for it gave a bunch of other shops too :)Thanks!!!!

absinthewilde
March 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
What is the ethical stance on horn combs? And the thing about it getting smelly when wet, is it bad enough that it shouldn't be used in the shower? I currently use a wooden comb so I would like to have something I can use wet.

Naiadryade
March 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I know the feeling.. my wooden comb broke (it got wet, swelled up and I dropped it on the floor - crack!) so I had to use a plastic comb for a while :( I didn't get a horn comb, but I got a resin comb - bone imitation - and it's the best comb EVER! I love it so much. Never going back. Haha.

The brand is NuBone, it was purchased from a Norwegian shop but googling for it gave a bunch of other shops too :)

Thank you so much! I'm vegan, so I didn't want to get a horn comb--good to hear there is an alternative! I'm so getting one of these.

Cara Heather
March 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I just ordered a horn comb from Amazon. I really want to use it in the shower. How long will take to smell and what kind of smell?

Sammich
March 4th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I have one horn comb, and I love it to death.

It's a small one with close together (bristles?? ends??), and I use it for the front of my hair. Sometimes I can use it for my length after de-tangling of course, it seems so non damaging and just smooths right through!

Bedhead
March 4th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about horn combs and how they do wonders for the hair. I'm glad it's working for you!

What is the ethical stance on horn combs? And the thing about it getting smelly when wet, is it bad enough that it shouldn't be used in the shower? I currently use a wooden comb so I would like to have something I can use wet.

There's a whole discussion about it here absinthewilde:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65024

It's actually very, very painful, so I won't be contributing to this. The people who harvest horns legitimize it by saying "they get over it" or "the pain doesn't last very long", and of course by the fact that they're not killing the animals for the horns.

However, there is such thing as an antler comb, which might just do the trick. Antlers are actually naturally shed every once in a while, so there's no "harvesting" needed. Another alternative is bone.