PDA

View Full Version : Getting used to texture without silicones

styric
March 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
I realized that I defined 'nice' hair by how smooth, silky and easy to detangle by running fingers through it is. Without silicones, my hair is much less weightlessly silky when wet though dries soft and smooth. I find myself having to be VERY careful applying product as it's so easy to overload it when you're expecting that gliding feeling when you've reached the right point.

BrightStarPoet
March 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I am still getting used to the difference in texture as well, having gone without cones since the new year. My hair is much lighter and poofier than I thought it was. When it air dries, each hair now dries in different little kinks and waves, making for an overall poofy effect (especially at the ends). I'm not a big fan of it myself. CO washing, plus washing the length only twice per week or so, have helped a bit. Coconut oil and baby oil are helping, too.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I stopped using cones less than a year ago, and going without the smooth, tangle-free feeling took a lot of getting used to. It helps that I now wear my hair up (not just in a braid) all time, so detangling every day is less soul-sucking than I feared it would become. I had to use my sister's shampoo last week and it did make a nice change from my otherwise cone- and sulphate-free routine. Now I'm back to my usual LHC methods. I find that careful oiling helps a lot with the tangles, so I'm not unhappy.

Maelyssa
March 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
It's most definitely something that takes getting used to but once you, it's a great feeling. I find my hair feels softer and less crunchy than it did on cones. Hope you enjoy the experience!

ktani
March 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Mineral oil/baby oil drops for me, works far better than any silicone serum I tried for detangling. I did try silicone lightly, very lightly to do that.

They did not work very well. I did not try heavy serums either. The baby oil leaves my uncatnipped hair tangle free and silky, without being the least bit greasy , sticky, frizzy or stringy. For a mostly fine haired wavy, long haired person like me, that is amazing to me.

ETA: The only other product for me that works as well is catnip.