PDA

View Full Version : A number of questions, but mostly egads! split ends!

Mordia Pender
March 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I am rather terrified that I'm going to have to chop off a bunch of my hair (I'm so close to classic!), but I'm hoping you all can tell me how to save it.

I've recently noticed that I have split ends--a ton of split ends. And rough white ends (breakage?). So many so that I feel like it would take a team effort to S&D them all. I'll try to get a picture of them to show you. And now I need to know--what can I do? Should I do a massive S&D (get my friend to help, she loves it), or do I just need to chop it? I have gotten behind on trimming it, but I'm so terrified that once I start trimming, it'll all have to go or something. I realize that's probably just me being crazy, but it's a fear.

And beyond that, I need to figure out why it's doing this. I was talking to my friend (and I realize that all hair is different) and she said that any time she uses the brand I'm using (Herbal Essences, and I'm specifically using Drama Clean), it actually splits her hair. I've been using it or similar kinds lately because I feel like any time I use something more moisturizing, it becomes an oil slick. The "clean" shampoos have never made my hair go this crazy, and I've even just finished a month of CWC, so more conditioner than usual.

And my hair seems to be fluffy in general. Is this a thing that would be fixed when I fix the splitting bit?

On to less related or immediate concerns, I read a thread on here that mentioned scalp cracking. It's vaguely horrific (as what I describe in a bit might be to some, fair warning), but it made me think of something my scalp does that I don't know whether it's just A Thing my scalp Does, or if it's an issue. I sometimes find scabs on my scalp, but they're not really scabs (at least until I scratch them). They usually start as clear orangey colored scabs. They're annoying but not terrible, I suppose. I find them mostly on the back of my head towards the nape of my neck. Does this sound like anything in particular? Anyone else experienced it?

Thanks soooo much in advance for any help at all.

Here is a pic. The split ends appear most often sticking out of my braid, which is a way I often wear it, soooo.
http://i43.tinypic.com/33vjam0.jpg

Madora
March 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Splits are usually due to dryness. White dots will turn into breakage and are due to dryness also.

Your hair needs more moisture. HOWEVER, I'd be more concerned with what is going on with your scalp. I have no idea what it is, but your scalp needs to be healthy in order to grow healthy hair.

You can S and D away the ends..but if there's just too many of them, then trimming away the damage would be a faster approach.

heidi w.
March 2nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
The scabs thing kind of causes me to wonder about Seborrheic Dermatitus or another kind of "plaque" such as an exzema or psoriasis problem. I would suggest seeing a licensed Dermatologist for a clear diagnosis, however. Guessing around online is not a good idea.

I have Seborrheic Dermatitus which is accompanied by fairly intense itchiness. Outbreaks tend to re-occur in the same locale over and over.

Your description did not include anything regarding bumps, so I may well be entirely wrong regarding the Seborrheic Dermatitus (a somewhat intense form of Dandruff, actually). But it could be a plaque area such as Exzema or Psoriasis.

I find that I need to manage my splits. I will never be able to get rid of all of them. I wear my hair up nearly daily, now for years, which helps a lot for protecting the older hair as we go down the length.

I wouldn't overdo it on a trim, just be modest, and occasionally dust the hair (what you call S&D). But don't go crazy trying to rid your hair of all of it. One can cut too much out of off and in this way thin the hair.

heidi w.

unknown
March 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
I sometimes find scabs on my scalp, but they're not really scabs (at least until I scratch them). They usually start as clear orangey colored scabs. They're annoying but not terrible, I suppose. I find them mostly on the back of my head towards the nape of my neck. Does this sound like anything in particular? Anyone else experienced it?

I have these as well, it's awful and hurts a lot :( I'd like to know why as well.

Amber_Maiden
March 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
If you are really worried about trimming your hair, I would S&D it if I were you- do it everyday, for weeks, and you'll eventually get rid of them all. That's what I did.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I don't know what to think about the scabs on your head. The micro trim maybe a good place to start.

Mordia Pender
March 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the advice and help! Still browsing, but I think I'm going to try EVOO, since I have some.

lacefrost
March 2nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
On to less related or immediate concerns, I read a thread on here that mentioned scalp cracking. It's vaguely horrific (as what I describe in a bit might be to some, fair warning), but it made me think of something my scalp does that I don't know whether it's just A Thing my scalp Does, or if it's an issue. I sometimes find scabs on my scalp, but they're not really scabs (at least until I scratch them). They usually start as clear orangey colored scabs. They're annoying but not terrible, I suppose. I find them mostly on the back of my head towards the nape of my neck. Does this sound like anything in particular? Anyone else experienced it?

Yes. When I used to get perms, the chemical would burn my scalp. A couple days later I would have scabs just like that in the place I was burned.If you're not using a chemical on your hair, it could be a hardcore allergic reaction.

turtlelover
March 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
I get scabs on my head when I try to stretch washes. I MUST massage and clean my scalp at least every other day, or I have problems.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 03:40 AM
My hair is nowhere near classic and on the thin side of medium, and it would take me hours and hours to S&D my whole head at once. The only way for me to stay sane if to S&D over the course of several days or even weeks. I split my hair in four sections (one long part down the centre, and then across from ear to ear). That way it's easy to re-reate the sections days later. I also snip off split ends as I find them, but I save a proper S&D for two or three times a year.

Eleentje
March 3rd, 2012, 04:21 AM
If you have that many splits, a micro trim sounds better than S&D - and I think it'll be a little less frustrating (and faster!) than having to S&D with lots and lots of split ends.

EVOO seems to be working for my hair, so I hope it will be the same for you.

kdaniels8811
March 3rd, 2012, 07:16 AM
Do you oil the length of your hair? That helps protect the ends. For me, catnip tea soaks prevented splits, especially when my hair hit waist. Scalp massages with a few drops of oil can help the scalp but I would certainly see a doctor first for thier advice. Good luck!

Kelikea
March 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking you should see a doctor about your scalp, because you wouldn't want to get an infection in one of those open places. Also, the drama clean shampoo is very stripping, and could be causing both the dry ends, and the cracking on your scalp, or at least aggravating it. Have you tried any tea tree oil or lavendar massages on the scalp? Mix a drop or two of each with some jojoba oil and massage into your scalp. Maybe look for an aloe-based shampoo that would be more gentle on you scalp? Or, have you ever tried CO? That would be more moisturizing for your scalp and ends, but you would need something other than the herbal essences.