View Full Version : Conditioner: Silicones?

Risha
March 2nd, 2012, 04:29 AM
What silicone-free conditioners are your faves?

Also, if there's a silicone-free shampoo/other-product that you love and recommend, it would be much appreciated.

___
Recently, I have found a unused bottle of some conditioner in the bathroom. I must've bought it a while ago - before reading around LHC and silicones.

I am not sure whether it's a good idea to use it or not. Here's the list of ingredients:
Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Niacinamide, Saccarum Officinarum, Trideceth-12, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Camellia Sinesis, Linalool, Amodimethicone, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Pyrus Malus, Persea Gratissima, Pyridoxine Hci, Cetyl Esters, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citrus Limonium, Lauryl Peg/18-Methicone, Prunus Armeniaca

I'd rather avoid Silicones, so I'm wondering whether or not there are any in this conditioner, and if so, is it very silicone-heavy? Does it contain the harsher kind, or the more water-disolvable kind?

What about the ingredients all-together? Would you use this conditioner or get rid of it?

pepperminttea
March 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
'Cones are easy to spot; they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. :) There's one 'cone in that conditioner (amodimethicone), but it's not too high in the list, and amine-functionalised 'cones resist building up (article here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)).

Can I ask, are you interested in going 'cone-free because your hair likes it or because you're worried about 'cones? They're nothing to be afraid of if your hair enjoys them. :D Also, if you could mention what country you're in you'll probably get more recommendations. I would mention my favourites, but if you're not in the UK they'll be fairly useless to you.

Mairéad
March 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
There is one cone and it is not at the top of the list, as Pepperminttea has already pointed out. And, if your hair likes -cones there is no reason to avoid them. For some their hair acts unfavorably with -cone, for others it is avoidance of man made chemicals, but if you aren't in any of these positions there is nothing inherently bad about -cones.

blondie9912
March 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Silicones are not the devil :) Some people's hair looks better on them, some people hate them, and others only like some silicones. Amodimethicone is water-soluble, so you won't experience waxy buildup with it. I have a conditioner with ingredients similar to those and I love it! Try it out :)