PDA

View Full Version : Is this benign neglect?

eezepeeze
March 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hello, all,
I just want to share some observations and get your opinion on them.
1. Recently, I have not been oiling my hair. I stopped because it was stripping the color/dye out of my hair and I want that to last as long as possible.
2. I am no longer doing anything special for my hair beyond what I would do even if I had short hair.

So, no oil, no sleep styles, no wearing hair up everyday, no satin pillowcase, no hair vitamins, etc.

The thing is, I've experience AMAZING growth recently. I am now just past hip and my ponytail (high) is at BSL. I feel like I just hit waist a few months ago and now I'm at hip!!

So, my question is: Is this what's considered benign neglect and is the growth I'm noticing just a result of not paying as much attention or did it really grow that fast?

speshe
March 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Being so new to TLHC, I don't really know what is considered benign neglect, but congrats on the amazing growth! I actually did the opposite of you. Have always been a "wash and wear" type gal. Since finding TLHC I've been trying all sorts of new things.

Again, congratulations on the amazing growth, your hair is beautiful. I envy your curls!

akilina
March 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
I would say so! :) everyone has a different definition of it though. I wish I could do the same. I think alot of it is also mentally neglecting it or more so....just not making yourself go nuts wondering "has my hair grown??!!?" every week ( like me haha )

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, that is benign neglect-though perhaps more extreme method, maybe, then most use. I, for one, do still oil my hair, use hair products, wear it up etc- but I consider it benign neglect.

Johanna
March 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'd say so. By ignoring your hair you may actually be preventing breakage better than when you oil and touching your ends all the time.
I find that if I'm going through a focusing on my hair stage I tend to touch my ends too much and do more damage than good. All I do now is put it in my braid during the day and for sleep, out a couple of drops of jojoba oil on my ends every couple of days and my hair is happy.

akurah
March 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hello, all,
1. Recently, I have not been oiling my hair. I stopped because it was stripping the color/dye out of my hair and I want that to last as long as possible.
2. I am no longer doing anything special for my hair beyond what I would do even if I had short hair.

So, no oil, no sleep styles, no wearing hair up everyday, no satin pillowcase, no hair vitamins, etc.

The thing is, I've experience AMAZING growth recently. I am now just past hip and my ponytail (high) is at BSL. I feel like I just hit waist a few months ago and now I'm at hip!!

So, my question is: Is this what's considered benign neglect and is the growth I'm noticing just a result of not paying as much attention or did it really grow that fast?

How do you keep your hair from catching on things...? :confused:

racrane
March 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
I've been ignoring my hair and it tends to grow more when I'm not paying attention, lol. Not the case but it feels like it!

I just wash and put my hair up and forget about it. It works for me. Everyone has their methods that work for them.

Shesta
March 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM
Whether it is a neglect - yes! But wouldn't say its benign in the long term, even though your hair grew a lot. If you want to keep it long it would require more protection in the form of up-dos

Madora
March 2nd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hello, all,

Yes, I think you're right..the growth is just a result of not paying as much attention to your hair.

Benign growth means different things to different members.

Personally, I want to protect my hair so wear it up as much as possible, take supplements but do not use a slippery fabric pillowcase. I do not oil, but brush my hair every day with a clean brush, and wash it once a month..and that's my version of benign neglect.

You'd be surprised how wearing it up all the time can be rewarding..especially when you see your length in the mirror after a few months and realize that it is growing well.

melusine963
March 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
It sounds like benign neglect to me :) One of the conditions I set for myself when I decided to grow my hair long was that I didn't want to become one of those people obsessed with their hair, who spend hours every day taking care of it (no offense to those who do - there is a lot of lovely hair on this sight that my laziness will never let me match). My morning routine of unbraiding, brushing and making an updo takes me 3 minutes in total. Any updo that would require much longer than that I consider too high maintenance for an everyday style.

I really do admire the people on this site who have the practice and the skill to frequently create amazing updos. I think I need to take more time to practice myself, and then maybe my outlook will change.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Its benign neglect in my book.