PDA

View Full Version : How do you do your scalp washing?

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Want to start doing this some but am at a loss to remember some methods and couldn't find through the search. I'd appreciate any help!

angelthadiva
July 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, I've tried several different methods...I'll share with you the ones that worked for me.

1. I call this the SSW (scrunchie scalp wash); gather hair into a high bun and wrap around, secure with scrunchie...I only use one hand with this method, I hold my scrunchie bun with the other. I squirt a tiny bit of poo on my chest, scoop up with my "wet hand" and lather my scalp area...Front and back...I am facing the shower throughout the washing...The length of my hair is only slightly damp, mostly from the mist of the shower.

2. This method has been hit or miss, sometimes I can get it to work, and other times I can't...I gather my hair into a mid-height ponytail bun, then cover with a shower cap folding over and over until it's secure, then doing the same with another shower cap...My hands are free in this method, and I have my back to the shower head...Sometimes my length gets sopping wet and sometimes it doesn't. :shrug:

Starr
July 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
I split my hair into two high buns (one on each side of my head, like mickey mouse ears) and squirt diluted shampoo directly on the scalp with a hair coloring bottle work it in and rinse several times using the same bottle. The hair in the buns gets only slightly damp and when I take them down my scalp is clean and my curls are refreshed.

Shorty89
July 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have not tips, but I'll be watching this thread. I've attempted the high bun scrunchie method, but all I got were terrible tangles. Hopefully someone has good advice!

Euphony
July 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
I keep trying this and get frustrated and quit - I should try again.

I do the bun thing in my kitchen sink. I hold my bun with one hand and get my scalp wet with the sink sprayer. Then I grab my hair soap and wash with the bar directly on my scalp. Then lather, rinse with the sprayer. Then I grab my pre-made citric acid rinse and rinse my scalp.

angelthadiva
July 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Starr: I like the idea of the mickey mouse ear buns...I planned on doing a SW today, I think I might try as you suggested! :flower:

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I split my hair into two high buns (one on each side of my head, like mickey mouse ears) and squirt diluted shampoo directly on the scalp with a hair coloring bottle work it in and rinse several times using the same bottle. The hair in the buns gets only slightly damp and when I take them down my scalp is clean and my curls are refreshed.

Is there a reason you do 2 buns instead of one?

I like the sprayer idea, seems like the pressure would rinse it better than you could do with a squirt bottle.

Thanks you all! I am going to try this tonight.

pariate
July 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Ooooo, I'm really interested in this now! One question though - do any of you use any conditioner on your ends when you use this method? If not, are you doing anything else to your lengths and ends between scalp washes? Something like misting and light oiling perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Euphony
July 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Ooooo, I'm really interested in this now! One question though - do any of you use any conditioner on your ends when you use this method? If not, are you doing anything else to your lengths and ends between scalp washes? Something like misting and light oiling perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
I do a light oiling on a near daily basis. I use it as a detangler in the morning :)

burns_erin
July 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
I tend to do a CWC, but when I do a scalp wash only, I put my hair in a loose ponytail, then braid the end. I use a spray bottle with the nozzle set to a hard spray instead of a mist with diluted shampoo and spray my scalp and scritch down my scalp in the direction the hair is going. Then I take another bottle with only water and rinse my scalp by spraying very close to the scalp. I have to rinse like 3 times, but it is usually okay. Sometimes I even wrap the braid in saranwrap, and sometimes I oil the length before I braid it.

My sister, who has curly hair, wets all of her hair, then braids the length, and follows basically the same procedure I have outlined above.

Flaxen
July 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Here's a good scalp washing thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15591) with tips from some of our longest haired members. :smile:

heidi w.
July 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
I basically do method 2 using a shower cap that's submitted in the post by Angeldiva. However, I face the shower water. This ensures I NEVER have water hitting the bunned length.

I have an abbreviated method of scalp washing if in dire straits and need to go out within an hour and have relatively ok looking hair:

I simply scalp wash from basically the ears forward to the forehead, just the top, and nothing on the back. It dries pretty fast and the rest can be put up in a nice updo, even if slightly damp still (the top that is), and I'm ready to rock'n'roll!

Good for times when you don't have a lot of time and need to make it acceptable for work, too.

Handy little trick.

In scalp washing, I find handheld shower heads, v. a fixed shower head, mighty helpful. I can target a zonage better, more specifically confined and I get a better rinse. Since I don't apply conditioner to my scalp, I only shampoo to clean the hair. I let the sebum do its job.

heidi w.

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Flaxen thanks for the thread!!! I am not so good at searching I guess :o

All the rest of you thanks this is all really helpful!!!

angelthadiva
July 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
I tried the Mickey Mouse Method on both DD and I and it turned out great! I wish I had one of those hand-held shower heads...It sure would make my life easier!

EdG
July 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I fold up my hair and hold it above my head when I shower. This works quite well - the main difficulty is that it leaves only one arm available to do the washing. One essential item is a shampoo bottle with a pump. :D
Ed

angelthadiva
July 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
I fold up my hair and hold it above my head when I shower. This works quite well - the main difficulty is that it leaves only one arm available to do the washing. One essential item is a shampoo bottle with a pump. :D
Ed

You always have fantastic ideas! :flower:

EdG
July 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
You always have fantastic ideas! :flower:Thanks! I learned about scalp-washing on LHC. :cheese:
Ed

Magicknthenight
July 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
When I do Scalp washes its usially because I want a clean scalp but the rest of my hair doesn't feel like it needs to be washed. I think once i tried putting it in a bun and covering it but in the end it was wet. So basicially what i do is braid the length of my hair and lean over the tub. We have one of those removeable shower things so it falls close to the shower floor so i can jus bend over while leaving my braid back and wash my scalp. Then i wrap a towel around the wet part of my head leaving the braid out and clip the braid to the towel with one of those..claws. To kinda seperate the wet hair from the dry but to keep it up. Then I shower and when i get out i brush my bangs and thats it :D
The only negative thing is my ends seem to dry out if i do this too often. Maybe its the lack of natural oils and no conditioner?
Anywho hope that helped :)

Oh and last time i did it i wet my ends afterwards and put some EVOO in then wore it up. I looked and felt clean and my ends were being conditioned for the next few days. ^-^
Not to mention my updo held better, though it was a bit heavy.

Teazel
July 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I do it pretty much the way Denise described in the old thread. It works perfectly for me.

Nevermore
July 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
I wish I had one of those hand-held shower heads...It sure would make my life easier!

I've seen "poor man's hand held shower heads" around, it screws onto standard faucets, the one I saw was 15 bucks.

angelthadiva
July 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
I've seen "poor man's hand held shower heads" around, it screws onto standard faucets, the one I saw was 15 bucks.

I'm going to have to look into this; most likely I will have to install it myself. DH is not the handy type. :D

Flaxen
July 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm going to have to look into this; most likely I will have to install it myself. DH is not the handy type. :D

There are these types (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230133468241&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/230133468241_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfromZR 7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsac atZQ2d1QQsofocusZbsQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUS Q3fssPageNameQ3dhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUSQQfviZ1), as well. They slip over a faucet and are really quite handy. I'm pretty sure Sally's carries a similar one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart did, too.

mira-chan
July 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have yet to be able to scalp wash for the non mobile shower head reasons. Who was the silly previous owner of my house that put a non standard shape faucet? :pins:These things don't hold on to it. Last try with one had it shooting off at high speed. :scared:

angelthadiva
July 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
There are these types (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230133468241&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/230133468241_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfromZR 7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsac atZQ2d1QQsofocusZbsQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUS Q3fssPageNameQ3dhQ3ahQ3afitemQ3aUSQQfviZ1), as well. They slip over a faucet and are really quite handy. I'm pretty sure Sally's carries a similar one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart did, too.

Thanks, Flaxen! :flowers: They aren't too badly priced, might be worth a try, thanks again! :flower: I live super close to a Sally's, so I will check there first.

julya
July 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I do scalp washes in the shower in the same way that EdG describes, just wrapping the length around a dry hand and holding it up and out of the way. I will switch hands during the wash, but I dry my wet hand before grabbing my hair.

I also do scalp washes in the sink, and I think this way is easier to get my whole scalp clean. I start by putting my hair into loose pigtail style braids, and I tuck the ends under my bra strap. I bend over the sink and wash and rinse, using a variety of washing agents. Sometimes I use diluted shampoo, sometimes conditioner and even cassia powder on occasionally. After I'm throughly rinsed, I wrap up my wet head in a towel before straightening up. That helps to keep the length dry. A big plus to this method is having both hands free.

pariate
July 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Anyone CO scalp-washing? I CO wash and I leave the CO on for a good 15 minutes before I rinse. It occurs to me that it might be tricky to keep my lengths dry while the CO is sitting - there's no way I can stand with my arms in the air for that long! :D

julya
July 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Anyone CO scalp-washing? I CO wash and I leave the CO on for a good 15 minutes before I rinse. It occurs to me that it might be tricky to keep my lengths dry while the CO is sitting - there's no way I can stand with my arms in the air for that long! :D

If you applied the conditioner while your hair was dry, before you get into the shower, it seems doable. I do CO scalp washes sometimes, but I don't leave the conditioner in for very long.