PDA

View Full Version : What is this "bun" called?

moxamoll
March 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM
I've done this bun variation several times now, when I want my hair out of my way, but don't feel like something as neat and orderly as a full bun. I think of it as a fan bun, but I'm sure I'm not the first to do it and it must have a "real" name?

It's basically a cinnabun, but instead of tucking the ends under, I leave more or less length at the end loose and poking out to the side or up or whatever I feel like.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8928&pictureid=127529

PinkyCat
March 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM
I do this too - I've always called it the peacock thing - whether its on a bun or a twist.

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 10:07 AM
Pretty bun!!!

heidi w.
March 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I just call that a mess. Honestly. I know that it's the fashion to leave ends out for the "messy" look, but if you are wearing hair up to protect the hair's integrity, as I do, then do not leave the ends exposed.

The ends are the oldest and most delicate hair and most in need of protection.

I might wear my hair like that on a day such as today, where I have no plans to go anywhere and no real need to be "seen". No appointments, no grocery stores, no errands, just hanging out on the computer. That's when I might wear my hair in a mess of an updo, as I did today (only the ends are tucked under).

I know that my opinion may not be welcome, but it scares me that newer or less experienced hair people think it's a good idea to leave hair ends exposed for quality hair care. I think it conveys a certain amount of misinformation.

Otherwise, however, your hair does appear healthy enough.

heidi w.

PinkyCat
March 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Leaving your ends out like that isn't THAT bad. It has nothing to do with experience, just personal preference. My hair hasn't split or broken in the 30+ years I've been doing this. There are far worse things you could be doing.

And no it does not look like a mess - it is VERY sexy and men have requested before that I wear my hair like this.

jacqueline101
March 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
That's neat and I like it. The name of it I have no idea.

spike316
March 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
As far as healthiness is concerned, I think that depends on your individual hair and your personal hair goals. I don't know the name but if it doesn't have one yet, perhaps a peacock bun since it kind of reminds me of a peacock twist?

moxamoll
March 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Wow, Heidi. I know you are trying to be helpful, but "a mess"? I can understand that not everyone had the same taste (and how boring would the world be if we did?) but I found that a bit rude.

I just erased a whole paragraph that I realized was me justifying how I choose to wear my hair. I don't need to do that. If you choose to not to wear your hair like this - for reasons of taste, damage avoidance or anything else - that's fine!

For those of us who do choose to wear this hair style at whatever time, I was only asking for a name.

ravenheather
March 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Pretty bun.

RapunzelKat
March 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Very cute! I like it :thumbsup: I have never heard a particular name for this type of bun, but I like "fan bun." :D

It seems like a good protective style to me, it protects your length from tangling and keeps the ends up out of the way of friction or getting caught in anything. ;)

P.S. Love your hairstick :D

moxamoll
March 1st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks RapunzelKat! The hair stick is one of the wooden ones I got from Pacific Mercantile when he was having his special offer for the long hair groups. It's not fancy, but the colours are really nice. :)

I keep the ends short enough that they are usually just resting on the back of my head. If your hair is particularly fragile it might not be enough to protect it, but since it's not being rubbed or even really moving over itself much, it works for me.

I'm still waiting for somebody to say "Oh yeah, that's an x, you can see an example or tutorial here." :p

PrairieRose
March 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Leaving your ends out like that isn't THAT bad. It has nothing to do with experience, just personal preference. My hair hasn't split or broken in the 30+ years I've been doing this. There are far worse things you could be doing.

And no it does not look like a mess - it is VERY sexy and men have requested before that I wear my hair like this.
I agree! It really depends on what you like personally. If your hair is not damaged where it may need extra protection then I say go for it. Enjoy your hair!

Moxamoll...I don't know what the bun is called but it looks very nice:)

Alvrodul
March 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Nice bun - but I don't know its name either. Perhaps that means you have invented a new bun - or at least a new variation of one?

I don't think it is a bun I am likely to wear, though - I like my ends to be tucked out of the way, but that is my preference. :)

whitedove
March 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
A bun with a peacock twist? I think it looks like a pineapple :)

bedazzlecat
March 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
These styles sometimes remind me of a fountain.

jeanniet
March 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM
It's very pretty on you, but I don't know what you would call it. Protecting ends is important, sure, but enjoying your hair is also important. As long as you're reasonably careful, and treat your hair well otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with wearing a less-protective 'do as part of your updo repertoire.

And I can totally see how guys would love that look. :eyebrows:

moxamoll
March 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM
A bun with a peacock twist? I think it looks like a pineapple :)
Haha! At first, I was like "Pffftt!" and then I went to look again. Yup, it looks like a pineapple! :lol:

Miss Maisie
March 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM
9 times out of 10 my ends are sticking out of my bun like that. My hair isn't long enough to stay put in a bun all day long without then ends flopping to and fro, and I think it's cute and sexy.

Especially since I can't do terribly much more than that :-)

holothuroidea
March 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Oh I don't know what it's called but it's lovely.

I don't see how it could be bad for your ends, maybe in the summertime if you're out in the sun a lot? Ends don't get damaged from air, do they? They're too short to tangle or get caught on stuff. Unless they are damaged already and need intensive care like heavy oiling and being tucked away to retain moisture, they should be OK, right?

I will admit my inexperience, though.

Dorothy
March 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
I think it's all right for this stage of hair growth - If I were at the 2nd day out of a wash, I'd put coconut oil on those ends and tuck them in all day to soak, but if I was wearing my hair up the first day after a wash, I wouldn't mind rocking a version of this, a double circle with a fan sticking out somewhere. I like Fan Bun.... And I think we should have a Single, a Double, a Triple, and.....A Quadruple fan bun!
:cheese::eyebrows::cheese::eyebrows::cheese::eyebr ows::cheese::eyebrows::cheese::eyebrows::cheese:

B-L
March 2nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
I have no idea what's it called.. it's pretty though :D

Maybe Peacock bun? Or Fan bun? :hmm:

Bagginslover
March 2nd, 2012, 02:27 AM
Peacock cinnabun?

No idea, but its pretty much what ALL my bun attempts look like thanks to pesky layers (except yours is MUCH neater-mine stick out EVERYWHERE!!!) I LOVE your stick too, I would never have guessed its wood, it looks so glossy!

whitedove
March 2nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
Just tried this bun. On my shorter length it looks more like a pineapple as I have shorter tips poking out and from the top left side. Would attempt a picture but sadly I fail solo head shots. Currently at home alone doing housework, got crowded house playing 'pineapple head' and laughing aloud to myself. :happydance:

QMacrocarpa
March 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM
I couldn't find a precise match in this article about messy buns (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129), but I guess I would think of it as a cinnamon-bun-based messy bun variant.

ladyshep
March 2nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Too cute! I like "peacok bun" or "fan bun" as well. I used to wear my hair like that alot when my hair was shorter and my husband loved it. I wish I could still do that do.

How fun!

zombi
March 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
I don't know what it is called, but my hair does end up like this sometimes because I am not so lucky to have the length all tuck in like some people can. My hair needs to get longer again first. (: "Fan bun" is cute!

Bagginslover
March 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Oooh!! Cinnafan!

yes, I am so sad that I've been thinking of this whilst off LHC ;)

melusine963
March 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
I like the names peacock and fan. Sadly, my hair is too curly for my ends to ever fan out nicely like that, so I'll have to keep tucking them. Thank you for sharing this picture!

moxamoll
March 2nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Bagginslover - cinnafan is great! :D

I was thinking last night that since this doesn't seem to have a name, maybe I should start a poll and see what the majority of people prefer? What do you think?

PrairieRose
March 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Oooh!! Cinnafan!

yes, I am so sad that I've been thinking of this whilst off LHC ;)
I like Cinnafan:D

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I call it pineapple. I love pineapples. I am wearing a pineapple necklace and I am going to steal or buy the pineapple highway sign when we go to Hawaii.

Macaroni
March 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
I like Peacock Bun.

terylenerose
March 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't know what to call this bun, but about the messiness issue, I must point out that your bun does not look messy at all. If you had bits sticking out of the bun itself as well as a "fan" on the side, it would look messy, but you don't. Nice bun! :)

DMARTINEZ
March 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
I wear this all the time and my hair is fine. I love messy styles! But then again I have
coarse sturdy hair,and NO splits,honest!

Deb

patchoulilove
March 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
I vote fan bun! Looks pretty :) Lovely shade of red also

spike316
March 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there already was a pineapple bun? I remember trying to figure out what it was when I first joined.

SwordWomanRiona
March 3rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
I really like the idea of the "pineapple bun"! :D It does look like a pineapple! It also looks like a peacock's tail, but isn't there some sort of "peacock bun" somewhere already? It rings a bell...

I agree! It really depends on what you like personally. If your hair is not damaged where it may need extra protection then I say go for it. Enjoy your hair!

I agree. Personally, I would feel that my hair would restrict my freedom if I had to keep my ends necessarily out of the way all the time/wear my hair up all the time. It's true that if one wants long hair, they should take care of it so that it remains reasonably healthy, but I wouldn't go to the extreme of not allowing myself to wear it loose, or do a messy bun, if I want to do it, and like how it looks. And if one's hair is not desperately damaged (and yours, moxamoll, isn't, of course!), I think that's fine. I have long hair to enjoy it, if I had to keep it in buns all the time, I would feel constrained...

And after all, the ends are exposed when one is wearing a braid, and hardly anyone seems to say that it's damaging...:confused:

AcornMystic
March 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
I was going to vote Peacock bun, but it didn't sound very original and I'm sure there is already a bun called that. Cinnafan just sounds so funky and interesting. As funky and interesting as the hairstyle itself. Funny actually, the name Cinnafan almost sounds like something someone would use as a username on some fantasy MMORPG. I voted that because I like it most.

AnnaJamila
March 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Haha, cute! I like peacocks! :)

AnimaSola3o4
March 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I believe that your ends are far more protected like this than down in a braid, where the tassel rubs on anything and everything and can get caught everywhere.

I do things like this often, and have never had a problem. I usually use a clip for messy looks like this though.

moxamoll
March 5th, 2012, 08:50 AM
So I've done some poking around and at least one girl has a tutorial on YouTube calling this a Peacock bun. She arranges the ends slightly differently, but it's the same thing, so I think she gets to name it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZyZ0naoJI

There is also "pineapple hair" but you pretty much need hair that will do an afro to achieve it. My hair won't be doing anything like this is this lifetime! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdlBgbCc_Do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdlBgbCc_Do)

And just to be thorough, here's a link to a Fan Bun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMTzVL7z86I I love how her hair stays pointing up when she brushes it that way. Mine wouldn't do that in a million years!!! :p And stop when she gets to her bangs, unless you're steeled for flat iron abuse.

PinkyCat
March 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM
If I may make a suggestion: I would tend to use the word Peacock as a verb, as in, here is a Pha bun that has been "peacocked":

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=127868

You can "Peacock" many buns by leaving the ends out, etc....
What do you think?

white.chocolate
March 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Such a cute hair style! ^^ I'm not a big fan of the cinnabun because it won't lie flat on my head. Leaving the tail untucked is a great idea! I voted for cinnafan because it sounds closer to how it was done. :)

moxamoll
March 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
If I may make a suggestion: I would tend to use the word Peacock as a verb, as in, here is a Pha bun that has been "peacocked":

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=127868

You can "Peacock" many buns by leaving the ends out, etc....
What do you think?

I think that's a great idea!

Arakazi
March 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think Peacock bun sounds pretty :)

bettylibertine
March 10th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Cool! I voted fan bun - but the first thing that came to mind was a fantail bird. So I vote fantail! Lol.

http://nzti.com/images/birds/fantail.jpg

braylin27cobain
March 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
My vote goes to fan bun. I also love this look! Do it all the time:-)

Melanie Marie
March 18th, 2012, 10:26 AM
It was a tough decision, but I eventually went with the fan bun.

I generally prefer sleeker looks, but I find this quite pretty. I would probably wearing if I'm going out somewhere like the theater or dinner at a nice restaurant. I definitely see it as an evening style that I wouldn't wear very often (mainly because I don't like my ends so exposed).

Very nice bun, and I like it a lot! :)

kidari
March 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Pretty! I voted cinnafan bun.

BrightEyes
March 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I vote for Peacock Bun. I love this look.

long
March 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I vote cinnafan and I love the look.

Cowgirl16
March 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Very pretty bun; I voted for Peacock bun :cool: