PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

hototogisu
March 1st, 2012, 06:27 AM
So often I'll glance down at the tassel at the end of my braid and see (what looks like) dozens and dozens and DOZENS of splits, then when I finally sit down with my scissors to S and D the splits just disappear!

Grar. I was hoping a good S and D would take my mind off wondering when my Colour B4 Extra will arrive in the mail.

darkrose
March 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM
I get that, it is the lighting. Try a different room ?

rock007junkie
March 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
That happened to me yesterday! I was at work and saw one split end. Then when I got home and got my scissors I couldn't find that split end for the life of me.

LocustSpawning
March 1st, 2012, 06:46 AM
This always bloody happens! Always. I spot an allmighty looking split, try to keep my finger on it, move slowly to my hair drawer , get the scissors out, and it's gone!! They are hiding from us ...

Shesta
March 1st, 2012, 07:02 AM
This always bloody happens! Always. I spot an allmighty looking split, try to keep my finger on it, move slowly to my hair drawer , get the scissors out, and it's gone!! They are hiding from us ...

I do the same. I even have hair scissors in my bag. Couple of days ago I ended up S&Ding in the library :D well, the light was just perfect and I kept noticing the little bastards :D

coldclarity
March 1st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Yep. I see splits at work that vanish in daylight. I either get them while my boss isn't looking or just forget it. I tell myself they've either shed or magically healed.

Tisiloves
March 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM
I do it all the time, I'll even hold the hair, but poof:magic:, gone.

terpentyna
March 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
always....

DarkAlice
March 1st, 2012, 07:38 AM
i dont quite understand the S&D method, it would make hairs all different lengths all over, is it for people with layers?

Avital88
March 1st, 2012, 07:44 AM

haha this is me too.. i hate it when they disappear!

Madora
March 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM
i dont quite understand the S&D method, it would make hairs all different lengths all over, is it for people with layers?

DarkAlice, S and D is taking a few strands of hair, twisting them gently, then scrutinizing them for any splits or white dots and cutting that damage off.

You can also just take a few strands and hold them out straight and do it that way.

Best done in sunlight or bright light, against a background that contrasts with your hair color.

Be sure to use sharp shears.

S and D can be done on layered hair too.

molly_grue
March 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM
This always, always happens to me!
I find splits in the car and then they disappear when I go hunting for them at home!

It's for everyone. You are just cutting individual hairs. Due to different hair growth periods, breakage from damage etc most of us have individual strands of various lengths.

silverstars
March 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
This happens to me all of the time. My hair is in a braid, I take it out, and then the ends look just fine. >.<

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Yep, happens to me. That's why I now carry scissors with me.

PrairieRose
March 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
That always happens to me too! Every time I have no scissors or it's an inconvenient time I seem to find all the splits, but with scissors in my hand they disappear!

Mannaz
March 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Yep, this is more of a rule than an exception!

lauralei
March 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
It happens to me, too, and I suspect it has to do with the lighting. (My hair always looks fabulous with the lighting in my bathroom, but it's a different story with the daytime lighting in my bedroom. In my bedroom, every grey, wiry hair seems to be magnified!)

Anje
March 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
My theory is that the hairs decide to be on best behavior when they see the scissors come out.

melusine963
March 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
This happens to me all the time. It drives me nuts spotting a split end and then not having my scissors handy :)

moon2dove
March 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Yep... the sneaky lil devils....:p

Impulsive
March 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Yes! I've looked down at my braid tassel many times and saw what I thought was a giant nest of split ends. I used to think it was a matter of lighting that made it look like I had splits where there were none because I would always notice them in the daylight and then wouldn't be able to find them later no matter how much I looked. Lately I've been thinking that I haven't been able to find them because I think I was looking for the wrong thing. I think what I perceived as split ends are just those little dots that signal a split end about to come... so I'm thinking the damage is still there as dots, and I'm just having difficulty finding the itty bitty things. Extremely annoying and frustrating, isn't it?

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
All the time. I don't hunt to much for them any more. I will unfortunately let them be until I find them again to cut them the next session.

HintOfMint
March 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Happened earlier this week. One of my early morning classes has the perfect lighting for S&D. Of course, I'm sure my professor and other classmates would not look too kindly upon my snipping in the middle of class.

Cheap fluorescent lighting is a wonder for splits.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have that happen all the time.