PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me LHC for I have sinned!

joflakes
March 1st, 2012, 01:08 AM
Quite a lot!

I have time frame issues which mean I mostly have no time to leave my hair to air dry. This means I have to blow dry my hair almost every time I wash it...3/4 times a week.

Also...I have been using flat irons. I know they're bad but I always use a heat protection spray and if I don't I feel bad about my hair as it has a weird texture at the moment.

It's about chin length and it is wavy but at this length it just looks a state if I don't flat iron it.

If anyone has any tips for how to help me avoid the heat and look half decent, that'd be great. I would like to cut down as I have bleached my hair (just the once) and dye it. It feels in good condition now but I don't want to get to the point where it feels dry and horrible like it did before.

I also use leave in treatments (either conditioner or coconut oil) about once a week. I use a comb but just a normal one, when wet and usually...I detangle from the bottom up and rarely get issues with tangly hair.
Prevention is better than a cure!

Purdy Bear
March 1st, 2012, 02:10 AM
I dont have any tips, but your not alone, on average it takes 21 days for a habit to change, so just stick with what you can do and do something each day and it will come in time.

sfgirl
March 1st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Maybe try doing cute 20's or 30's waves with your hair. There's so many times I've almost chopped my hair just to have adorable little finger waves. I believe you can do some without heat also!

Bagginslover
March 1st, 2012, 02:29 AM
Aw, don't worry, you have to be happy with your hair, so if you need to iron it at this length, then do.
Yes it will cause damage, but if it gets you past a growth stage that otherwise would cause you to chop, I think its a small price to pay.

Remember, hair keeps growing, so once its longer, you can just gradually trim away any damage you are causing now ;) I firmly beleive that hair should be enjoyed, and if it taked heat for you to enjoy it, then heat it. :)

Ceridwen Iris
March 1st, 2012, 02:40 AM
Can you just iron the top layer of hair or iron big clumps of hair at a time?

Can you wash your hair less often so you don't need to dry it?

Dars
March 1st, 2012, 03:04 AM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) did the trick for me to put away heat tools. I've been heat free for nearly 2 and a half years and still going strong, even special occassions like family weddings, milestone birthdays and further eduation graduations don't faze me anymore! Oh and please don't be fooled by heat "protectant" products ;)

Arya
March 1st, 2012, 03:29 AM
I don't understand how chin length hair is shorter to blow dry than air dry. Can't you just dab it dry with a towel and go out with your hair still damp?

Something that really changed the speed of my hair drying is my shower order. The last thing I used to do was rinse the conditioner out of my hair, and I'd emerge with completely soaking hair. Now I wash my hair first thing, condition it right away, do a few things, rinse it and squeeze it out, do a few more things, then hop out. It makes a big difference in how fast my hair dries, because my towel isn't as soaked, so it works better, quicker.

jacqueline101
March 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Just try to remember the things you were taught. Try to change your habits.

coldclarity
March 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM
Could you maybe get a few long layers? That might help with the wave. I wouldn't have been able to grow my hair up to about shoulder without some sort of cut in it, it just looked awful!

coldclarity
March 1st, 2012, 04:50 AM
Also, I have the same time issues. I work full time and have a long commute. My hair takes five hours to be totally dry, which is a huge pain in winter. As it's gets longer I've managed to cut down to two washes a week. I do one on a Sunday when I'm home all day, and the other on a Wednesday. I wash it as soon as I get in the house from work (usually between six and half past) so it gets three hours to dry before bed. I go to bed with it damp and just live with it.

It takes a bit of creative thinking, and stretching washes out a little, but it can be done.

lostchyld
March 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Do you have to wash as often as you do? I've found that a scalp massage followed by a light brushing with my BBB works wonders for stretching washes. I do prefer a bit of an oily or greasy feeling to my hair, anyways, though. Anyways, stretching washes would help with the need to dry your hair.

Thumper
March 1st, 2012, 05:22 AM
My philosphy is you have to enjoy your hair. I will not forgo everything I do to get good looking hair, just to achieve length kwim? And there are many here who will disagree with that. When you look at people in hollywood, they have to do major hair damage all the time when they are working, and for the most part alot of them have great looking hair! I would rather have great looking hair, then super long hair.

mzBANGBANG
March 1st, 2012, 06:37 AM
I blow dry my hair but to help a little I try to do it on cool setting. It takes a little longer but maybe if you switch between cool/warm it will help. I don't think I'll ever give up my blowdryer, personally. As for the other, sleeping with foam rollers is a good alternative. I put leave in conditioner in 80-90% dry hair and wake up with amazing curls. On shoulder length hair that would look amazing with a headband!

Anje
March 1st, 2012, 07:04 AM
Can you wash your hair in the evening and let it airdry before you go to bed? I know that's trickier at the shorter lengths because it can lie funny, but it's a good habit to get into, and I'd dare say that most longhairs eventually end up washing their hair at night simply because they have fewer time constraints that way.

ravenheather
March 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
My challenge with giving up the blowdryer was that my hair would be wavy in weird ways without it. Blowdrying always straightened it for me. My solution is to wear a headband or put the bangs/top back with a barette. Then the waves didn't look so weird. Also if I let my hair dry almost all the way then finger comb or pull it back with a scrunchy in a low ponytail for a bit this straightens almost as well as the blowdryer. So my advice is to try to find new ways to style. This will only get easier as your hair gets longer. HTH.

DarkAlice
March 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
does your hair take forever to drive, try microfiber towels wrapped like a turban for 5 mins

pink.sara
March 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM
This probably isn't the answer I should be giving you but honestly.... I do the same.

My hair had horrid flicks before it hit APL and I blow dried and straightened at least 2-3 times a week.

Even now I use heavy bleach, chemical dyes, blow dry at least twice a week and straighten about once a month or so, not to mention pulling a big plastic brush (I use a Denman) through it wet. And it's fine. Not split and horrible at all.

Obviously, the hair you treat like this at shoulder to BSL is your waist length split end probably, but if you aren't aiming for super long lengths and you are planning to regularly trim along the way I don't see anything wrong with a little blow drying to keep you feeling good about it as it grows.

Good luck with your growing :)

joflakes
March 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Maybe try doing cute 20's or 30's waves with your hair. There's so many times I've almost chopped my hair just to have adorable little finger waves. I believe you can do some without heat also!

I can't get the hang of them! I wish I knew how. Any ideas?

Can you just iron the top layer of hair or iron big clumps of hair at a time?

Can you wash your hair less often so you don't need to dry it?

I do iron big clumps at a time, I'm not patient enough to do every little bit. I just get the bits that are most wavy.

This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) did the trick for me to put away heat tools. I've been heat free for nearly 2 and a half years and still going strong, even special occassions like family weddings, milestone birthdays and further eduation graduations don't faze me anymore! Oh and please don't be fooled by heat "protectant" products ;)

I've read that before. What is wrong with heat protectant products? I know heat is going to harm my hair, and I thought they would reduce the harm just a little, even if not a lot it is something!

I don't understand how chin length hair is shorter to blow dry than air dry. Can't you just dab it dry with a towel and go out with your hair still damp?

Something that really changed the speed of my hair drying is my shower order. The last thing I used to do was rinse the conditioner out of my hair, and I'd emerge with completely soaking hair. Now I wash my hair first thing, condition it right away, do a few things, rinse it and squeeze it out, do a few more things, then hop out. It makes a big difference in how fast my hair dries, because my towel isn't as soaked, so it works better, quicker.

My hair is thick and takes 2-3 hours to air dry. I will have a go at the order of things in the shower, conditioner is the last thing I wash out before I get out! Makes sense to do it your way.

Could you maybe get a few long layers? That might help with the wave. I wouldn't have been able to grow my hair up to about shoulder without some sort of cut in it, it just looked awful!

Thanks for the tip...I don't mean to seem rude but I don't want any layers in my hair at this time.

Do you have to wash as often as you do? I've found that a scalp massage followed by a light brushing with my BBB works wonders for stretching washes. I do prefer a bit of an oily or greasy feeling to my hair, anyways, though. Anyways, stretching washes would help with the need to dry your hair.

No, of course not! I just like showers. Maybe I should get a shower cap? I'll give it a go. I do find after about day 2 of not washing I feel a bit gross so I just end up clipping it back and not wanting to leave the house though!

My philosphy is you have to enjoy your hair. I will not forgo everything I do to get good looking hair, just to achieve length kwim? And there are many here who will disagree with that. When you look at people in hollywood, they have to do major hair damage all the time when they are working, and for the most part alot of them have great looking hair! I would rather have great looking hair, then super long hair.

A good point! I want maximum of bra strap length hair so super long was never a goal for me.

I blow dry my hair but to help a little I try to do it on cool setting. It takes a little longer but maybe if you switch between cool/warm it will help. I don't think I'll ever give up my blowdryer, personally. As for the other, sleeping with foam rollers is a good alternative. I put leave in conditioner in 80-90% dry hair and wake up with amazing curls. On shoulder length hair that would look amazing with a headband!

I'll try to use my cool setting more. I get a sweaty forehead when I blowdry so it'll help with that, too! Haha. Rollers are an idea. I'll look online and see if I can get some small ones!

Can you wash your hair in the evening and let it airdry before you go to bed? I know that's trickier at the shorter lengths because it can lie funny, but it's a good habit to get into, and I'd dare say that most longhairs eventually end up washing their hair at night simply because they have fewer time constraints that way.

I work the night shift so I can't wash my hair then. I get home around 10am and then shower and go about my day! I would love to be able to wash my hair at night. If it were a bit longer I'd do what I used to do and wash, then braid it into two braids before bed then the next day have lovely waves!

does your hair take forever to drive, try microfiber towels wrapped like a turban for 5 mins

I have no idea where to get those.....I'll have a look on ebay!

This probably isn't the answer I should be giving you but honestly.... I do the same.

My hair had horrid flicks before it hit APL and I blow dried and straightened at least 2-3 times a week.

Even now I use heavy bleach, chemical dyes, blow dry at least twice a week and straighten about once a month or so, not to mention pulling a big plastic brush (I use a Denman) through it wet. And it's fine. Not split and horrible at all.

Obviously, the hair you treat like this at shoulder to BSL is your waist length split end probably, but if you aren't aiming for super long lengths and you are planning to regularly trim along the way I don't see anything wrong with a little blow drying to keep you feeling good about it as it grows.

Good luck with your growing :)

Ahh, a fellow sinner! ;)
I'm aiming for about BSL I think so we'll see. My hair is very resilient and in the past has been treated awfully and still looked fine. I haven't had a trim or cut for 4 months and it's fine at the ends, no dryness or splits!

Shermie Girl
March 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Have you tried round brushing your hair as you blow it dry? Using a round brush would help to smooth and straighten your hair as you dry, give it a little lift and body and it would be less damaging than using a flat iron.

"Heat protectants" are just silicone serums and sprays. Nothing wrong with them; they make hair smooth, shiny and look and feel pretty and they help a flat iron or curling iron do it's job without sticking to the hair but they can't really "protect" the hair from heat. :)

lapushka
March 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Don't worry about it at this stage. That's my only advice to you. I needed to have my hair heat styled when it was shorter than shoulder, for it to look halfway decent. It got better the more it approached APL. Maybe try to blow dry it into shape a little more, so you can avoid the really really damaging stuff: the flat iron.

oktobergoud
March 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM

This! I do this as well now. I used to shower in the mornings but I shower in the evenings now, in winter, so I won't have to go outside with wet hair.

I also use an old shirt and wrap it around my hair for 10 minutes or so. After that it is SO much dryer than when I just used a towel! Plus, it's better for your hair as well :)

Arya
March 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Have you tried round brushing your hair as you blow it dry? Using a round brush would help to smooth and straighten your hair as you dry, give it a little lift and body and it would be less damaging than using a flat iron.

"Heat protectants" are just silicone serums and sprays. Nothing wrong with them; they make hair smooth, shiny and look and feel pretty and they help a flat iron or curling iron do it's job without sticking to the hair but they can't really "protect" the hair from heat. :)

Good point. IF you're going to blow dry, might as well do it the right way/least damaging way. Do you just rustle your hair around, waving willy-nilly until its dry? Because the "right" way to get straight hair with a blow dryer is to section it into two or three sections, (underlayer and canopy) and then use a round brush to keep some tension on your hair as you aim the blowdryer downnwards along the shaft.
You should move the blow dryer from roots to hem, slowly, about 6 inches away from your hair.
Don't stop anywhere (bur, and keep moving the brush along your hair to keep tension, rolling it at the ends and repeat until your hair is 90% dry, before letting down the next layer.
Never blowdry your hair 100% dry, this totally kills your hair and promotes frizz.

http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Dry-Hair

Blow drying your hair with the dryer pointed against the shaft is a recipe for broken hair and lifted scales. Not drying it in layers undoes the work you just did drying part of your hair by rewetting it with the moisture from other strands. Not using a brush to keep some tension increases the likelihood your hair won't dry straight and you'll have to kill it more with an iron.

claywithme
March 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
At chin length you might be long enough to use the headband no-heat method. I'm sure it doesn't work for long hairs but I'm just past shoulder length and I do this almost every night. I love how it gives curls to just the bottom part of my hair - making them all flippy and cute. I actually prefer how these curls turn out over heat curls and it only takes about 5 minutes to do it at night and almost zero time in the morning. Get a shower cap, pull your hair up with a jaw clip and keep it protected in the morning. I also think the heat from the shower relaxes the curls a bit.

There are lots of blogs, pinterest pins and youtube tutorials about how to do it but this one gives you a little bit of an idea. She's fixing her daughter's hair but explains what she is doing pretty well. But I don't like a little skinny headband. I use an athletic sweatband sort of headband and pretend that I am Olivia Newton John (and if you weren't a teen in the 80's you totally missed that reference.)

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/5-minutes/headband-curls-no-heat-hairstyles/

I

joflakes
March 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
At chin length you might be long enough to use the headband no-heat method. I'm sure it doesn't work for long hairs but I'm just past shoulder length and I do this almost every night. I love how it gives curls to just the bottom part of my hair - making them all flippy and cute. I actually prefer how these curls turn out over heat curls and it only takes about 5 minutes to do it at night and almost zero time in the morning. Get a shower cap, pull your hair up with a jaw clip and keep it protected in the morning. I also think the heat from the shower relaxes the curls a bit.

There are lots of blogs, pinterest pins and youtube tutorials about how to do it but this one gives you a little bit of an idea. She's fixing her daughter's hair but explains what she is doing pretty well. But I don't like a little skinny headband. I use an athletic sweatband sort of headband and pretend that I am Olivia Newton John (and if you weren't a teen in the 80's you totally missed that reference.)

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/5-minutes/headband-curls-no-heat-hairstyles/

Thanks for that. I did know about it but I think my hair would be too short, sadly. I'll do a google for other kinds of no heat curls! Yes I did get the reference ;)

Good point. IF you're going to blow dry, might as well do it the right way/least damaging way. Do you just rustle your hair around, waving willy-nilly until its dry? Because the "right" way to get straight hair with a blow dryer is to section it into two or three sections, (underlayer and canopy) and then use a round brush to keep some tension on your hair as you aim the blowdryer downnwards along the shaft.
You should move the blow dryer from roots to hem, slowly, about 6 inches away from your hair.
Don't stop anywhere (bur, and keep moving the brush along your hair to keep tension, rolling it at the ends and repeat until your hair is 90% dry, before letting down the next layer.
Never blowdry your hair 100% dry, this totally kills your hair and promotes frizz.

http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Dry-Hair

Blow drying your hair with the dryer pointed against the shaft is a recipe for broken hair and lifted scales. Not drying it in layers undoes the work you just did drying part of your hair by rewetting it with the moisture from other strands. Not using a brush to keep some tension increases the likelihood your hair won't dry straight and you'll have to kill it more with an iron.

I always rough dry, yes. That article was actually helpful. It'll probably take no longer to do it the proper way. Only thing is I have no brush! Thanks :)

This! I do this as well now. I used to shower in the mornings but I shower in the evenings now, in winter, so I won't have to go outside with wet hair.

I also use an old shirt and wrap it around my hair for 10 minutes or so. After that it is SO much dryer than when I just used a towel! Plus, it's better for your hair as well :)

Like I said before, I can't wash my hair in the evenings due to work. I do however have old t-shirts so I may well try that later on!

Ahh. No I haven't! I will though! :D

Don't worry about it at this stage. That's my only advice to you. I needed to have my hair heat styled when it was shorter than shoulder, for it to look halfway decent. It got better the more it approached APL. Maybe try to blow dry it into shape a little more, so you can avoid the really really damaging stuff: the flat iron.

Thanks. As per the above I'm going to try and just blow dry now!

Dars
March 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I've read that before. What is wrong with heat protectant products? I know heat is going to harm my hair, and I thought they would reduce the harm just a little, even if not a lot it is something!
There's nothing really wrong with the product...it's just how people generally perceive it to work that's the problem. Not saying you are one of them but generally these comments are what people truly believe when they use heat protectants:

"I straighten my hair x times a week, but I always use a heat protectant so my hair is in good condition/fine/healthy/not damaged/strong!"

A reaction to someone who uses heat to style without using heat protectant:

"Omg you must use heat protectant, your poor hair! I use this one, it costs $500 dollars* but it's so worth it!"

* Note: Some slight exaggeration.

My point is...it's a product (combined with western society) that instills a high amount of false security into it's consumers.

Yeah, heat protectant might help the consumer to feel better for using such a product against such a damaging heat tool. But it certainly won't offset any damage to your hair strands. It will however, at best, make your hair appear lustrous and glue the damage together.

So in a nutshell: No, it won't reduce any harm to your hair. It's still a tool that heats up to ridiculous temperatures, even at low settings. It's a personal choice, and it's good you are aware that it does damage your hair. In knowing that, there are LHC members that do still heat style. Whether it be regularly or occasionally, damage is inflicted and it's irreversible. All it comes down to, is what matters most to you personally.

Long_hair_bear
March 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
I wash my hair at night and sleep with it braided damp. Result.... Pretty waves.

joflakes
March 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
There's nothing really wrong with the product...it's just how people generally perceive it to work that's the problem. Not saying you are one of them but generally these comments are what people truly believe when they use heat protectants:

"I straighten my hair x times a week, but I always use a heat protectant so my hair is in good condition/fine/healthy/not damaged/strong!"

A reaction to someone who uses heat to style without using heat protectant:

"Omg you must use heat protectant, your poor hair! I use this one, it costs $500 dollars* but it's so worth it!"

* Note: Some slight exaggeration.

My point is...it's a product (combined with western society) that instills a high amount of false security into it's consumers.

Yeah, heat protectant might help the consumer to feel better for using such a product against such a damaging heat tool. But it certainly won't offset any damage to your hair strands. It will however, at best, make your hair appear lustrous and glue the damage together.

So in a nutshell: No, it won't reduce any harm to your hair. It's still a tool that heats up to ridiculous temperatures, even at low settings. It's a personal choice, and it's good you are aware that it does damage your hair. In knowing that, there are LHC members that do still heat style. Whether it be regularly or occasionally, damage is inflicted and it's irreversible. All it comes down to, is what matters most to you personally.

Hmm. Thanks for that. I suppose I always kinda knew it but using the product helps me to sink back into denial mode ;)

I wash my hair at night and sleep with it braided damp. Result.... Pretty waves.

I wish my hair were long enough for this!