PDA

View Full Version : Crunchiness. Why?

Um Enis
February 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I know the common culprits of crunchy hair: oil or protein. What I'm curious about is, Why? Anyone know? And does crunchiness from oil differ from crunchiness from protein? I've been on this board for a while know and I can't say I've ever caught the "Why?"

KwaveT
March 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
Your hair would turn into a sponge if you have too much moisture so crunchiness of hair is too much protein.

LocustSpawning
March 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM
Your hair would turn into a sponge if you have too much moisture so crunchiness of hair is too much protein.

I am confused by this.

I know my hair is protein sensitive (in the past I've used protein products and my hair has felt like crap) so I just use moisture heavy products, but lately it has been really crunchy. I can hear it crunch if I squeeze the ends of my hair with my fingers. I use a 'mister' of water, olive oil and AO Honeysuckle Rose daily, zero protein :( I can't figure out why.... my routine is moisture intensive.

ktani
March 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM
I know the common culprits of crunchy hair: oil or protein. What I'm curious about is, Why? Anyone know? And does crunchiness from oil differ from crunchiness from protein? I've been on this board for a while know and I can't say I've ever caught the "Why?"

That is a dry hair result. It has most commonly been reported with coconut oil use but other oils have been reported to cause it too, like extra virgin olive oil. I realized that it is a coconut oil over conditioned hair result - build-up - during the oil shampoo thread I started. That result does not happen when coconut oil is used on well clarified hair or overused on well clarified hair. I tested that myself on shed hair a while back to be ETA:3 absolutely - sure. It is a build-up reaction.

It is dry hair that causes that sound in general. It can also simply be ETA caused by - very dry or damaged hair but in most cases from reports, people have been overloading their hair in an attempt to remedy dry hair - with the opposite effect and results reported.

ETA:2 When I had linden tea and chamomile tea on my hair ages ago, my hair would make that sound too, - build-up - causing dry hair and once, with the wrong amount of catnip used over some build-up I got that sound too. It still in my opinion comes down to one thing - build-up - primarily causing the dryness - which then makes that sound.

ETA:3 More detail on coconut oil "crunchiness" and protein, here, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-on-oils-and-oil-shampoo.html