PDA

View Full Version : Best Oil For Hair

jennescence
February 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I was pondering today about what the best oil for hair would be. Then i realized the very best oil for hair is you own natural oil. So why are we slathering all these different oils on our hair, when the very best one is free? I know everyone here knows how important natural oil is, i'm just wondering why it's not good enough? Do we really NEED to do all these things to our hair? I for one love trying different oils and creams, It is just something i have been thinking about.

MermaidTresses
February 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
good point, but I think the reason for oiling ends especially is because once your hair is on the long side, the natural oils don't make their way allllll the way down to the ends, even if you brush with a BBB. I personally don't oil my scalp; that's all taken care of by natural oil production...but my end (almost waist length) really need it!
HTH

vatikagirl
February 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
good point, but I think the reason for oiling ends especially is because once your hair is on the long side, the natural oils don't make their way allllll the way down to the ends, even if you brush with a BBB. I personally don't oil my scalp; that's all taken care of by natural oil production...but my end (almost waist length) really need it!
HTH
Exactly what I intended to say. Perfectly explained :)

uptosomeone
February 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM
My issue with my natural oils is a bit frivolous...I just don't like the smell of them. :o I love having hair that smells fragrant, whether its the sharp aroma of GFTN or the earthy, muted smell of EVOO. I've left my hair for up to four days before without washing, and ugh, the odor when I hopped in the shower was just not pleasant! So even though yeah, it probably wouldn't be necessary for me to do so much to my hair I'm going to continue to do so because I feel better this way.

jennescence
February 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
HTH

Very good point! I had never thought of that because i have never had long hair lol

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
HTH

I think a lot depends on the length of the hair and whether or not your hair is dry or oily.

My scalp is on the dry side and yet I've never experienced any difficulty in getting oil all the way down to my ends..even when they were 47 inches long.

Not only is the hair's natural oil being distributed down the strands, but each time you use the palm of your other hand after each swipe of the brush, you're adding a tiny bit of natural oil from your palm..and thus every bit helps. Of course I brush every day - 100 strokes..which might not be possible for others.

trampledbygeese
February 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
...Then i realized the very best oil for hair is you own natural oil. So why are we slathering all these different oils on our hair, when the very best one is free?....

I'm new to oiling my hair/scalp and I was wondering this too. I usually wash my hair twice a week (at the most), so my scalp has lots of time to make natural oils.

But now I've started oiling my scalp and hair (olive, coconut and castor blend), I've noticed that the scalp not only feels calmer, there are far less flakes and the hair is much easier to manage. I need about half the conditioner now to be able to get the knots out of my hair.

I don't know why this is. I would have thought my hairs natural oil would be enough.