PDA

View Full Version : Long Enough for Damage, Too Short to Protect

holothuroidea
February 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just a small rant about a frustrating phase of hair growth.

My hair is long enough now to get tangled into a birds nest in the wind, and in my sleep. Long enough to get fried when I peek in the oven. Long enough for babies to pull on (and rip out) but not long enough to put up!!!

:mad:

I'm growing my hair out this time around really counting on knowing how to stop damage to save my hair from being depressingly thin. I know that if it's too much damage I can trim it off in the long run, but really it's very frustrating to detangle my hair in the morning to the tune of "snap! snap! snap!" I wish my hair wasn't so fragile.

Thank you for listening. :o

Georgies
February 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I feel your pain! It seemed to take forever for my hair to reach updo length, and it's still not long enough for sleep braids. Just before I saw your post I had uploaded my first updo pictures - they look awful but I don't care, my hair is out of the way again!

My hair was chin length in November and now it's easily long enough for a pony tail, and a sort of bun. It will happen soon! Can you do half ups? That helps, and soon you can put more and more of your hair in them and then voila, a pony tail! Two little buns, one on each side held with claw clips was useful too, just past chin length.

keep us posted!

Vanille_
February 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I find sleeping in a sleep cap helps with tangles at night.

/hugs

This phase will pass :)

Lipbalmbabe
February 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Try a Satin bandana

cheetahfast
February 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I was at that length last year. It was very annoying (especially so since I had told the hairstylist that I wanted a small trim and he took off 3-5 inches and added in layers).
It looks like you might be able to pull it up in layers, but I could be seeing your siggy picture as a bit longer than reality.

Mine's very thin too, I found that being here and following "the rules" of not using heat and keeping my hair up most of the time. So far it's been going well.

It only gets better from here!! :D

Quetiepi
February 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM
By the end of summer, your hair should be long enough for a pony tail, don't you think? It always seems like it takes forever, but your hair will be longer in a few months. Hang in there!

ravenheather
February 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
My hair isn't much longer than yours. I first started putting it up in a peacock twist with a claw.

Miss Catrina
February 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Satin pillowcases are brilliant for avoiding sleep tangles.

Mairéad
February 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Satin or silk. It could either be a sleep cap or a pillow case. That will help A LOT with night time tangles. For windy days, maybe put it in a silk or satin scarf until you get inside.

I don't know what your hair diet is or what it likes, but maybe detangling sprays are your friend. I use to despise and actively avoided ALL and any types of coney products but yesterday I got a trim and my hair dresser put a detangling spray/leave in conditioner in. We were under a wind advisory but when I got home...tangles? What tangles? My hair was butter. I think I may have to take a second look at cones.

MiamiPineapple
February 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Try Amazon.com for a great price on a silk sleep cap. It has really helped my hair and is great for overnight oil treatments!:)

holothuroidea
February 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Wow thanks everyone!!

My hair is longer than it is in my sig pic, but I have some very short layers that only reach my ear lobes and those wont go up in anything. I can actually put my hair in a pony stub, and also little pig tails, but the elastics do more damage than the tangles at this point because I have to use the tiny plastic ones meant for kids.

If I ever come across a satin headband that fits me I will totally buy it. :D I have a teeny tiny head, though. I can wear little kid's head bands but they look ridiculous.

Where can I buy a sleep cap?? :) ETA: I will look at amazon, thanks!

I asked for silk pillowcases for christmas but they didn't come. :(

holothuroidea
February 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Satin or silk. It could either be a sleep cap or a pillow case. That will help A LOT with night time tangles. For windy days, maybe put it in a silk or satin scarf until you get inside.

I don't know what your hair diet is or what it likes, but maybe detangling sprays are your friend. I use to despise and actively avoided ALL and any types of coney products but yesterday I got a trim and my hair dresser put a detangling spray/leave in conditioner in. We were under a wind advisory but when I got home...tangles? What tangles? My hair was butter. I think I may have to take a second look at cones.

That's a good point, I haven't thought about a detangling spray because my hair has been short for so long, but I should probably get/make some.

KwaveT
February 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I am like you in that I can probably put my hair in a ponystub. It would only be back hair. My bangs are to my lips and my side hairs are to my jaw. All those hairs are too short to go in a potential ponytail. Hair in back is not at a point that it even bothers me anyway so it is a waste of time at this point. My hair in back is longer than yours since it is full blown shoulder length now. If all my hair was full blown shoulder length then I could ponytail it. Wishing gets you nowhere. Time is the only thing that will grow hair.

Elenna
February 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Maybe you could try soft headbands, scrunchies, knitted caps, and later barrettes.

Also there are these small metal clips that snap together and can hold a lot of hair back.

As for the oven heat frying your hair, I actually did that! There are lots of hair hazards in the real world.

TooShort
February 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Hello all,
I too am at about the same length growing out from a pixie so I still have many layers. It drives me nuts and does tangle a lot when sleeping. I think I am going to take advice from members here about a satin pillow case. Also, I am considering getting a snood. Anyway, I just wanted to say I can relate and hang in there before you know it we will be at shoulder length and able to put it in a ponytail or messy bun. Grow, Hair, Grow...

Pierre
February 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I wear a Buff when sleeping. It works at all lengths.

For daytime, I suggest a headband or double Dutch braids. Each braid passes halfway between your top point and your ear, then goes to the back of your head.

holothuroidea
February 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I wear a Buff when sleeping. It works at all lengths.

For daytime, I suggest a headband or double Dutch braids. Each braid passes halfway between your top point and your ear, then goes to the back of your head.

Oh that would be lovely! Will you come to my house and do it for me? :D :D :flower:

What's a buff?

jacqueline101
February 29th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'd try putting a silk scarf over your head.

joflakes
March 1st, 2012, 12:50 AM
Ahh I know exactly how you feel. I've just stuck with an almost half-up do when I don't want to do anything with my hair. It's so annoying but I'm sure with a bit of patience we will soon be able to do the ponytails we crave! I know for me it's only the hair around my temples and at the nape of my neck that don't fit in.
As for tangles in the night, my hair is pretty good. I wouldn't be able to get comfy with a silk cap on and tbh I'd feel a bit silly (just me though, everyone is different!).
Good luck and if you have any hot tips let me know.

Ooh I just thought, could you not get some kirby grips and just pin it all up? I sometimes do that. works a charm.

Tisiloves
March 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM
I feel you, I just got a couple of cheap scarf/headband things, they help a lot.

Mannaz
March 1st, 2012, 01:12 AM
Another vote for double braids! I think it's good to start practicing at your length, so you can get creative when you're hair is a little longer. Braids reduced my growing pains quite effectively :)

Lissandria
March 1st, 2012, 04:15 AM
This will pass, the worst is over! And since you've joined, you have made amazing progress in length, but also your hair has looked shinier each month. I would love to see a more recent pic, too btw, when you have the time ;)

I agree with the sleep cap, silk pillowcase and braiding for sleep and all the above suggestions if you can manage it.
I really do understand you, because my hair is fragile, too and I get alot of snap! snap! snap! They are a little exy, but have you tried a Tangle Teezer? Thanks to my TT I haven't heard the "sweet" serenade of snap! snap! snap! in a little while ;):cheese::happydance:

DarkAlice
March 1st, 2012, 07:55 AM
I sleep on satin pillowcases because silk is expensive and hard to find, give it a try it will definately help with night-time tangles and damage.

I never even thought about how much damage opening the door on an oven can do to my hair

PrairieRose
March 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I agree with the others, a satin/silk pillowcase or sleep cap may help. Perhaps a spritzer with water and a little oil may help with the tangles. I use a wide tooth horn comb and it glides through my fine hair really well.

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM
My daughter has kept chin length hair but she's decided to grow it and she's at the age to learn about proper hair care. We use Toadstool detangling spray (as well as EVERYTHING else) from Etsy. No cones! Really works! My daughter also sleeps on satin pillow cases we found at target for $5 a piece- zebra striped :cheese: I use only a peach wood comb on her hair - once in the morning, once before bed. We pull back the front to eliminate any damage from hair hanging in the face- we use Flexi 8s or headbands for that. She also has plenty of hats to pick from as we live in the windy Midwest!

hototogisu
March 1st, 2012, 08:37 AM
How do you feel about bobby pins? I have chin length layers that drive me crazy, and if I'm not pulling them into a braid with the rest of my hair I'm twisting and pinning them back. You could try twist-and-pinning the loose sections back to form a kind of messy 90s updo, if you want to be a bit dressy.

And CONES! If you have tangly porous hair cones really are miraculous.

holothuroidea
March 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM
How do you feel about bobby pins? I have chin length layers that drive me crazy, and if I'm not pulling them into a braid with the rest of my hair I'm twisting and pinning them back. You could try twist-and-pinning the loose sections back to form a kind of messy 90s updo, if you want to be a bit dressy.

And CONES! If you have tangly porous hair cones really are miraculous.

Bobby pins gave me a lot of damage so I'm really hesitant to use them. :(

Does anyone know a place that sells really nice headbands that are small? It would need to be the kind that tapers in the back because my hair isn't heavy enough to stop a wide band from traveling up the back of my head.

holothuroidea
March 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
This will pass, the worst is over! And since you've joined, you have made amazing progress in length, but also your hair has looked shinier each month. I would love to see a more recent pic, too btw, when you have the time ;)

Thank you so much Lissa!! :love: My hair is a lot longer than my most recent pictures. I didn't take them in February for various reasons, but today is March 1st so you can count on a picture tonight. :D

I agree with the sleep cap, silk pillowcase and braiding for sleep and all the above suggestions if you can manage it.
I really do understand you, because my hair is fragile, too and I get alot of snap! snap! snap! They are a little exy, but have you tried a Tangle Teezer? Thanks to my TT I haven't heard the "sweet" serenade of snap! snap! snap! in a little while ;):cheese::happydance:

I haven't tried a tangle teezer. I would but they're not exactly free. I have a wide tooth ash comb and I use a wooden bristle brush for my scalp.

I think a detangling spray would really help. I'm going to wait until I have an empty bottle to put it in (yes I am too cheap to buy one!), but I'll mix up some aloe, water and Camellia.

Anje
March 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Bandanas are great for getting hair back at this length, as are Buffs (http://www.buffusa.com/). (Lots of sellers for Buffs, I just picked one to link to.)

If you've got French braiding skills already, you might be able to do two of them. If you haven't learned already, it might be a difficult time to attempt it, though.

cooklaezo13
March 1st, 2012, 10:36 AM
It helps me a lot just to clip the front parts of my hair that hang in my face back with some snap clips. I also like doing a half-dutch braid headband. Braid your hair along your hairline into a dutch braid, only adding hair to the front side of the braid. You can find a tutorial on youtube.