PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

lostchyld
February 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM
My hair just started feeling nice after my last CO wash and I'm thinking I want to wash again because I think, if I don't, my scalp will start itching again and I've been having such a nice time with the itch tamed. The conditioner I'm using is Suave Naturals coconut, and I think it washes too well. My hair always feels a little stripped when I co with it. I wonder if I should try something heavier? Maybe use more leave-in or make sure the leave in makes it to my scalp?

I've been massaging the conditioner into my scalp before I get in the shower to loosen things up and it's been working way better than shampoo, but I don't like washing my hair this often and my scalp rebels if I don't. I know CO is supposed to be gentle enough to do every day, but I prefer day or two old hair, longer if I can swing it.

I've been doing CO for about a week, so should I keep washing every other day for another two weeks and then start stretching as my scalp adjusts to not being abused, or stretch now and maybe pay the price by suffering through itching tomorrow? I was using SLS shampoo before that.

Anje
February 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Try just adding a day between washes. You might not feel itchy again right away.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Aloe & Waterlily Suave to the Coconut. It seems like it's the most moisturizing one I've tried, and I have trouble with the silk protein in the coconut variety if I wash with it more than once or twice. (Most people don't have that problem, but I think a lot of people really like washing with the coconut because it is a bit more cleansing than some of the other varieties. You may need something gentler.)

lostchyld
February 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I'll pick up that kind and try it next time I get to town.

Rhodugune
February 29th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I don't know why your scalp is itchy, mine used to be too, but since I started using applecidervinegar in my last rince after co-ing, it's seldome itchy nowadays.

So my tip is for you to read up on ACV-rinces and see if that's something that could help you. :)

It also helps my hair too feel cleaner longer and it makes my hair really soft and easy to detangle.

I love ACV, couldn't do without it. :D

Rhodugune
March 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'm just checking in and I hope your scalp is feeling better! :)

mzBANGBANG
March 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I see this is an older discussion, but I figured I'd chime in too :) if you have problems with itchy scalp, maybe some tea tree oil would help? You don't have to use too much either, if you use a small amount you should be able to remove it with CO washes.

Also, I've had good luck with Suave Professionals Rosemary and Mint for my CO.

lostchyld
March 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM
It's doing well, the itchiness is still gone, despite an experiment with shampoo bars. I'm back to co-washing, though because the bars made my hair too dry and frizzball. I'm sticking with scalp massages with conditioner on dry hair and that seems to be working the best.

Miss Catrina
March 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
You could try oiling before washing to reduce the intensity of the cleansing.

Rhodugune
March 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I happy to hear you found a way that works for your hair. :)