PDA

View Full Version : Dry/frizzy hair from conditioner bar, what should I do?

vintage88
February 29th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently started using Lush shampoo bars which I really love, they work really well for my hair and i've had great success with them. So i've been pretty excited about trying one of the conditioning bars too.
I washed my hair about 2 hours ago, I always CWC and used the bar for my last conditioning. It has made my hair so dry and frizzy and awful :( i'm so disappointed, I haven't had frizzy hair for a long time, and i'm really worried that i'm going to get breakage from the dryness.

I'm thinking I should put some coconut oil in now before bed? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I just can't believe how horrible it has made my hair:confused:

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Perhaps there's buildup causing the frizzies/dryness.

Maybe clarifying then conditioning (with a conditioning product, not a bar) might help.

Coconut oil is a heavier oil and I wouldn't use it. You might like to read Ktani's article about the drying capacities of various oils up in the Articles section (grey menu bar).

Also, you might want to read her article on mineral oil and all it can do for dryness and static..plus it can keep your hair well moisturized and help combat dryness which can lead to splits.

Mairéad
February 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
The conditioner bars I've seen on their website (though I can't say all) also contain SLS, like their shampoo bars, high on the ingredients list. There is a chance you're essentially putting sneaky shampoo all over your hair again. Which one are you using and what are the ingredients?

Kristin
February 29th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I've used Jungle and the only good thing about it is the smell. Honestly, I've tried several Lush conditioners and none of them are heavy enough, in my opinion.

vintage88
March 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM
I've used Jungle and the only good thing about it is the smell. Honestly, I've tried several Lush conditioners and none of them are heavy enough, in my opinion.

It was Jungle and I agree with you it just wasn't heavy enough. Did smell lovely though!

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
That's what happened to my hair when I used them- awful experience. can't stand those bars. Better off going with a natural brand- because Lush is not all natural. I suggest Henna Sooq's shampoo bars.

Anje
March 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
Skip the Lush conditioner bars. You don't want to be trying to condition with SLS.

If you want a conditioner bar, there are quite a few available from various makers on Etsy. Most have protein in them, SylvieL is one of the few makers I know of who makes a protein-free conditioner bar, if your hair is picky about that sort of thing. Mine is, most folks' hair isn't.

heidi w.
March 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
I just would wash the hair again with more regular shampoo and conditioner, not a bar. Bars usually contain SLS which is the thing that can cause dryness on hair as a soap bar is somewhat cakey. I know there are shampoo bars without SLS in it.

IF that fails, then proceed to clarifying the hair, and find another way to condition.

Oiling on top of frizzy dryness that may have some product on it, or oiling on top of buildup is not helpful. It doesn't solve the problem.

You need to get that conditioner off of the hair. My bet is another regular hair wash will do it. IF that fails, THEN proceed to clarifying the hair.

I use coconut oil on my hair, but it's manufactured by Spectrum Naturals, the stuff specifically formulated for use on hair and skin ( the label has this on it). I do not use coconut oil from the salad dressing or cooking oil section of the store. The Coconut Oil I use has almost no aroma, and is unrefined. Unlike salad and cooking oil Coconut Oil.

heidi w.

TeaEarlGreyHot
March 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM
When conditioner makes my hair go awry I find that an ACV rinse after my last conditioning helps exponentially! I'm not talking a little, I mean a HUGE amount. If you happen to have hard water especially.