PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim??

hime_daruma_88
February 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I've got a problem with tangles and frizz and damage. My hair feels very fragile on the ends, the have a lot of splits which I try to S&D...
What do you you think? Could oilings or some magic products save my hair from trimming? I've tried to baby my hair and I always make buns before I go to sleep. I wash every 2 days because of oily scalp. I use TT once or twice a day, and everytime I brush I find these 1-2cm pieces of hair falling off.. :(
Obviously, that's the reason for my hair getting longer so slowly. I've found a little help using Bonacure sealed ends serum, it makes my hair feel smooth and soft. But it hasn't solved the problem really. I never use heat or a blow dryer either.

Has anyone else managed to grow tangle-prone hair waist-length or longer? How did you heal your damaged ends or is cutting the only way to go?
Share your secrets please :)http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s362/Sanna_Jasmiina/018.jpg

Avital88
February 29th, 2012, 12:07 PM
moi!:)
It doesnt LOOK bad or split or anything ..
I think mine looked worse at that length,so there is hope..:D
You dont need a cut, maybe a 1cm trim to get a bit easier to brush hair,it always works with mine,but more than just letting it be and grow i wouldnt do.
Have you tried cassia ever? that worked very good with my ends when i was still a blonde to prevent them from breaking off.
good luck

spidermom
February 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Yes - my hair is tangle-prone and it's been to classic length, nearly there again. Cones help; I think I'm going to use them more.

Your hair doesn't look like it needs a trim yet, but you can see it better than I can.

Covet
February 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Honestly? I would rather trim and have healthy hair than hair that is long and damaged. You don't have to trim off that much, I'd say just go for a small trim for now and see how that helps. A trim would probably help with the tangles. That is definitely the case with mine, but then again my hair is way curlier than yours.

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Split ends are usually due to dry hair.

You might find this article interesting..especially the last 4 paragraphs or so.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

While there are no cures for split ends except to cut them off, you can keep them at bay if you keep your hair moisturized. Mineral oil, while it doesn't work for everyone, has managed to save at least 6 people from trimming back their length because they thought their hair was too damaged.

jacqueline101
February 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Your hair looks good but a trim might be in order.

blondyhead
February 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Your hair looks very healthy, But is your hair feels split and dry, i would just cut it off, it's better for your hair :D

pink.sara
February 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know what the cause of your damaged ends is but I saved my bleached damaged ends from cuts by using aphogee 2 step protein and moisture treatments. It's extreme but did restore some elasticity to the brittle breakage prone parts.
http://www.aphogee.com/Two-Step-Treatment.aspx

It's very important to use a moisturizer after this as protein alone can make hair more damage prone!
There's a good article in the newbie section on damage too.

swearnsue
February 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Your hair is so pretty it would be a shame to cut off more than you have to. I have fine hair and I have been using a little coconut oil on the ends. My hair seems to soak it up and I put a little more the next day. Now my ends feel smoother and stronger.

turtlelover
February 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
If it is bugging you tangling at the ends maybe an inch max....certainly a big chop isn't needed. Your hair is very pretty!

Nymphea
February 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
It seems pretty and healthy to me, too! If you feel your ends are fragile and if it bothers you much, cut max. one inch - one inch can make a huuuge difference, believe me!

hime_daruma_88
March 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thank you guys for useful advice and positive comments. Cassia and minaral oil both sound promising and worth trying next! :) I alrealdy use cones a lot. Plus, I do mictotrimming every once in a while, but I try to avoid doing them often until I have reached waist. But nice to hear that my hair doesn't look that bad and damaged, at least in a slightly soft picture. I'm encouraged now to continue!

Amber_Maiden
March 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
I also have tangle prone hair, which was slightly damaged at the ends- so i kept trimming it. I trimmed off 13in last year. S&D and oil your ends- that's what helped me.