PDA

View Full Version : Need a break from BREAKAGE!

RoseOfClare
February 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I will admit I was stupid about a year n half ago and got highlites I have very fine naturally ash blonde hair........... and now am paying the price

My tips just keep snapping off................ It just snaps, I can hear it snap every time I comb it with my widetooth or finger comb. and not only that its been tangling like crazy

I just want to chop it off but keep refusing too and telling myself to give it time. I cant lightly oil my ends everyday because then they will look greasy and I'll have to wash my hair. I currently oil about every 3 to 4 days depending on how greasy my roots get

It's just soooooooooo frustrating

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Perhaps clarifying might help, followed by conditioning. The tangling might be due to build up issues.

How are you combing your hair? Do you work from the bottom of the strands, bit by bit, until you reach your roots?

Anje
February 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Bleached hair can be finicky, but my guess is that a protein treatment would help. Look for a "reconstructor" product if you're going commercial. Follow it up immediately with a moisture treatment, since protein alone can leave hair brittle.

PixxieStix
February 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Bleached hair can be finicky, but my guess is that a protein treatment would help. Look for a "reconstructor" product if you're going commercial. Follow it up immediately with a moisture treatment, since protein alone can leave hair brittle.

What she said! It really helped my hair after bleaching it prior to my first henna. I had two done a few months apart at Fantastic Sams, after my first and second hennas, and have made sure to do deep treatments every week or two. I had a bit of breakage from it which is why I'm just gonna henna over my darker natural hair color instead of keeping up with bleaching roots and then doing the henna on those.

Siiri
February 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Regarding your problem with the oil, you might want to try mineral oil/baby oil. You only need to apply a very small amount on damp hair after washing, you won't need to reapply and so it won't leave your hair greasy. Here is a link to one of the several threads about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

RoseOfClare
February 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I do comb from the bottom up. I use Burt Bees for shampoo and conditioner its what works the best with my hair. I've done clarifying before and all it does is make my hair go poof it seems.

What would be a good natural protein treatment? I'm trying to get as far away from commercial as possible.

For a while my hair was doing great with Burt's Bees and the oil mix I use and now my hair just doesnt want to cooperate. I'm sure it doesnt help NY can't make up its mind on what it wants the weather to be. Been going from 50 degree day to 24 degree days

Anje
February 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
What would be a good natural protein treatment? I'm trying to get as far away from commercial as possible.

The trouble with protein treatments is that you need the right particle size, which is why it's sometimes better to go with the commercial ones.

One I've seen recommended that does seem likely to work, though, is 1 Tbsp of low-sodium soy sauce in 1 cup of water. Pour through damp, washed hair, and leave it in for a while. That's the one Flaxen recommends, and I'll defer to her knowledge of such things (since my hair's not fond of protein, so I don't like to test them). She suggests rinsing it out at the end of the same shower, but if you want a more intense treatment, leaving it in for 30 minutes might be worth-while.

jadelouise
February 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
i used to have bleached hair and i had exactly the same problem, i kept refusing to have it cut and it didnt grow for 2 years, just kept snapping off :( i know its difficult but my advice would be to have all the damage taken off, because once i did it has grown so fast

good luck x

bubblyredhead
February 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have had some fantastic luck with aphrogee 2 minute reconstructor and also their 2 step one sallys carries both of them, the 2 step one helped my hair a huge amount from dye, bleach and heat damage.