PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling cause wavy/curly hair to be straighter?

DarleneH
February 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just wondering if oil can take the waves/curls out of your hair? Temporarily, not permanently. It seems possible that if hair is weighed down with oil like that it might cause it to not spring up as much. Or would that only be if you use TOO much oil?

If oil does cause it to be straighter, do different oils have different results?

SoulOfTheSea
February 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM
For me, definitely. If I put too much oil then it gets weighed down and looks straight and lanky.

ktani
February 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Just wondering if oil can take the waves/curls out of your hair? Temporarily, not permanently. It seems possible that if hair is weighed down with oil like that it might cause it to not spring up as much. Or would that only be if you use TOO much oil?

If oil does cause it to be straighter, do different oils have different results?

Yes, from reports here it can if the oil is heavy, like coconut oil and too much is used.

If just enough of the same oil, coconut oil is used it can encourage waves and curls, used a certain way in oil shampoo.

Mineral oil/baby oil is light. It can encourage waves and curls used lightly, as in small drops on conditioned or unconditioned hair, as an oiling oil, also per reports here, like mine.

rock007junkie
February 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
This is true for me when I use something heavy or when I use too much of a product.

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
When I used too much coconut oil it made my curls stringy, lank and hard, so I think it's important to work out how much is enough.

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I use a little of coconut oil on dry hair and it actually helps defining my curls. But I don't put them on damp hair, because I might accidentally overdo it x.x

proo
March 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'm doing a modified WO/SO routine, so my hair is fairly sebum-coated and it is definitely less frizzy and curly.

kitschy
March 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
I haven't yet found any oils that take my curl out even when doused - but perhaps that is just me.

spidermom
March 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
The curliest I've ever seen my hair was the day I generously coconut oiled, got it wet (in the rain), but didn't get around to washing it that day.

jeanniet
March 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Practically anything will take some curl out of my hair, so I'm probably not a good example, but oiling generally will reduce curls to waves. As Spidermom said, though, you can often refresh the curls a bit with a spritzing of water.

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
I find it makes my wavy hair less wavy- so yes.

moon2dove
March 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
A tiny amount of oil defines my curls nicely ::)

lapushka
March 1st, 2012, 02:07 PM
A few drops gives definition of my waves, but I don't need to go beyond that. Straight up oiling will make it lank.

lunalocks
March 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
a few drops of EVOO on my damp hair, along with finger combing and scrunching, make my waves wavier, while cones make my hair straighter.

longcurlygirl<3
March 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
no for me, i feel it make my hair curlier when used the right amount on soaking wet hair

Toadstool
March 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
It makes mine wavier.

Shesta
March 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Oil on wet hair for me enhances the wave, while applied on dry hair - reduces it.

Bedhead
March 1st, 2012, 02:59 PM
A agree with Shesta, at least that's my experience.

ladonna
March 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM
If I do not use a lot of oil then I turn into a huge frizzy ball, oiling helps clump the hairs together making ringlets

Covet
March 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
I tested this and put almond oil on my wet hair and let it dry. My curls were more defined and springier than usual.

I'm guessing that putting oil on wet hair is pointless though because surely the water creates a barrier on the hair and the oil cannot penetrate that barrier... Hmm. Not sure. Can anyone enlighten me?

Covet
March 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
I tested this and put almond oil on my wet hair and let it dry. My curls were more defined and springier than usual.

I'm guessing that putting oil on wet hair is pointless though because surely the water creates a barrier on the hair and the oil cannot penetrate that barrier... Hmm. Not sure. Can anyone enlighten me?

ktani
March 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM

There are degrees of wet hair. Obviously it worked for you. Some oils can cause hair to clump or enhance waves and curls. It depends on the amount used though. Oils can work both ways, depending on how much weight they have, the hair and how they are used.

I have used mineral oil/baby oil on damp and dry hair and my waves were nicely definded both ways. Because my hair is not under any build-up weight, I get volume and my wave pattern remains and the oil is light. I also used very little oil.

ETA: As a direct answer to your question oil floats on water. As the surface water evaporates, the oil remains.

Depending on the oil, it can help keep water in the hair from evaporating, mineral oil doing that better than vegetable oils. Conversely, oiled hair can help keep water from being absorbed into hair as fully as it would be otherwise. Oiled hair still allows water vapour from the air to access hair and there is research to support that.

cheetahfast
March 1st, 2012, 05:13 PM
When I oil my hair and put it into a bun it lossens the curls a lot.

However, I also comb it out before bunning it and it's always a day or two after wash day when I notice the loosening.

Covet
March 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
There are degrees of wet hair. Obviously it worked for you. Some oils can cause hair to clump or enhance waves and curls. It depends on the amount used though. Oils can work both ways, depending on how much weight they have, the hair and how they are used.

I have used mineral oil/baby oil on damp and dry hair and my waves were nicely definded both ways. Because my hair is not under any build-up weight, I get volume and my wave pattern remains and the oil is light. I also used very little oil.

ETA: As a direct answer to your question oil floats on water. As the surface water evaporates, the oil remains.

Depending on the oil, it can help keep water in the hair from evaporating, mineral oil doing that better than vegetable oils. Conversely, oiled hair can help keep water from being absorbed into hair as fully as it would be otherwise. Oiled hair still allows water vapour from the air to access hair and there is research to support that.

Thank you very much! I would like to try coconut oil on my hair but I use curl creme on it whilst wet to define my curls. Do you think it would hinder the absorption of coconut oil if I used the oil on dry hair? The curl creme has no cones in it, which I suppose would hinder the coconut oil to an extent.

PurplePenguin
March 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
It depends - if I comb my hair after applying my oil mixture to it my hair will become straight with just a bit of wave at the bottom. If I use my oil mixture along with scrunching my hair becomes a mess of beautiful curls. Then again, I have fine hair so it tends to be more compliant in the combing straight arena and I don't apply straight oil to my hair, I mix it with water so that my hair doesn't look greasy.

ktani
March 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you very much! I would like to try coconut oil on my hair but I use curl creme on it whilst wet to define my curls. Do you think it would hinder the absorption of coconut oil if I used the oil on dry hair? The curl creme has no cones in it, which I suppose would hinder the coconut oil to an extent.

No oil that can penetrate hair like coconut oil, (or an oil like it), which as research has shown can penetrate it most deeply, can penetrate hair that is not well clarified, with heat for a short duration, or used in shampoo that does not build-up and is also well clarified beforehand, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-on-oils-and-oil-shampoo.html.

So the short answer is that your curl cream will not allow the coconut oil to penetrate your hair even more so, if there is any build-up or conditioner on your hair.

Covet
March 1st, 2012, 08:02 PM
No oil that can penetrate hair like coconut oil, (or an oil like it), which as research has shown can penetrate it most deeply, can penetrate hair that is not well clarified, with heat for a short duration, or used in shampoo that does not build-up and is also well clarified beforehand, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-on-oils-and-oil-shampoo.html.

So the short answer is that your curl cream will not allow the coconut oil to penetrate your hair even more so, if there is any build-up or conditioner on your hair.

Aww that's a shame. I guess I'd better give up on the oiling then. I co-wash so I suppose I have a double layer of build-up on my hair when the curl creme is added. Thanks for the very informative link.

ktani
March 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Aww that's a shame. I guess I'd better give up on the oiling then. I co-wash so I suppose I have a double layer of build-up on my hair when the curl creme is added. Thanks for the very informative link.

Coconut oil can make a nice surface conditioner. I find it too heavy for oiling hair. I adore mineral oil/baby oil for that.

And you are very welcome.

ElusiveMuse
March 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Coconut oil makes my curls more defined, wet or dry application. Although I prefer dry. When my hair is wet I use an Aveda damage control product with an SPF and chamomile.