PDA

View Full Version : Dry shampoo anyone?

Babs1039
February 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
So with all the water only and CO posts I have been reading I have been wondering if there is anyone who has been using dry shampoo as a part of their normal hair care routine. I have a can of Suave dry shampoo I bought, but have not used it as of yet. There are some days here in south Georgia in which I tend to get more oily than usually which is why I bought it. However, I noticed it contains alcohol (I'm guessing to help dry the excess oil) and butane (isn't that what they refill lighters with?).

And what about these poo bars I have been reading about...I don't know that I've ever seen one of those before. :confused:

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I've never used dry shampoo on my hair because it's curly and dry shampoo involves a lot of brushing to distribute it. However... I would love to know about shampoo bars!

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I always see poo bars at Lush stores (they call my attention because of the lovely smell of the store ^-^ but I haven't used them myself.

I started CO washing a little more than a week ago, (and I used to CWC each other day before that) and I also oil my hair before washing it, and it doesn't look greasy at all, condishioner is really good at removing oil/grease ^-^ I never had to use dry shampoo either, and I thought I'd hear more about them here, but maybe they're damaging? I don't know =P

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
HylianGirl, mind me asking why you oil your hair before washing it? How much oil do you apply before a wash?

I've heard that quite a lot of LUSH products are harsh which is a shame because they smell lovely!

blondyhead
February 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I get really oily hair, so i use dry shampoo often; i like the Batiste one in Blush, it has a lovely smell. Theres nothing wrong with using dry shampoo- for people with oily hair it's essential :D

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
@Covet, not much actually, I put some coconut oil (I put an amount on my hands just to make 'em shiny) and aply to the length of my hair. I know it sounds exageratte to CO and oil the hair, but I like to wash my hair frequently (everyday in summer and each other day when it's colder) and I know I shoudn't, but I like the clean feeling, so I compensate for that by avoiding shampoo and oiling a bit =)

ETA: once a week I'll do a veavy oiling, and keep it for a couple of hours before washing, I also wash my hair at night (I'm too lazy in the morning =P ) So I normally go back home, and put some oil on my hair, then have dinner, and then wash it ^-^

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
@Covet, not much actually, I put some coconut oil (I put an amount on my hands just to make 'em shiny) and aply to the length of my hair. I know it sounds exageratte to CO and oil the hair, but I like to wash my hair frequently (everyday in summer and each other day when it's colder) and I know I shoudn't, but I like the clean feeling, so I compensate for that by avoiding shampoo and oiling a bit =)

ETA: once a week I'll do a veavy oiling, and keep it for a couple of hours before washing, I also wash my hair at night (I'm too lazy in the morning =P ) So I normally go back home, and put some oil on my hair, then have dinner, and then wash it ^-^

I also prefer to wash my hair at night because hair takes forever to deal with and the thought of getting out of bed to wrestle with it is too much! :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to start experimenting more with oiling my hair. Thanks for the explanation :)

HylianGirl
February 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I also prefer to wash my hair at night because hair takes forever to deal with and the thought of getting out of bed to wrestle with it is too much! :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to start experimenting more with oiling my hair. Thanks for the explanation :)

No problem, hope it gives you good results =)

Madora
February 28th, 2012, 08:01 PM
So with all the water only and CO posts I have been reading I have been wondering if there is anyone who has been using dry shampoo as a part of their normal hair care routine. I have a can of Suave dry shampoo I bought, but have not used it as of yet. There are some days here in south Georgia in which I tend to get more oily than usually which is why I bought it. However, I noticed it contains alcohol (I'm guessing to help dry the excess oil) and butane (isn't that what they refill lighters with?).

And what about these poo bars I have been reading about...I don't know that I've ever seen one of those before. :confused:

Shampoo bar info:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=4

absinthewilde
February 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I have tried tresemee, bed head, cornstarch, baby powder, and flour and nothing has worked well for me. I wish I could find a good dry shampoo because my hair gets so oily.

Babs1039
March 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
I get really oily hair, so i use dry shampoo often; i like the Batiste one in Blush, it has a lovely smell. Theres nothing wrong with using dry shampoo- for people with oily hair it's essential :D

Where do you buy this one from? I know as the summer starts coming on strong I will certainly be trying more dry shampoo to keep from having to wash my hair so often!

ravenreed
March 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Sally's Beauty Supply usually has Batiste in two 'flavors.' I also like that brand very much. I just used some today when I had to get somewhere in a hurry and had no time to wash my hair.

Where do you buy this one from? I know as the summer starts coming on strong I will certainly be trying more dry shampoo to keep from having to wash my hair so often!

caiti42
March 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
Another bastise fan. That stuff is amazing

Miss Catrina
March 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
So should I really not be concerned about the alcohol in these sprays? I've been wondering about it too.

Eire
March 1st, 2012, 10:09 PM
Batiste is the best!

I've started using a shampoo bar from Mehandi as well, and notice that my hair seems to be a lot less oily. I only need to wash it 2 times a week, now, and it used to need washing every day. It cleans my hair without stripping it (finally found something that does that!)

Sometimes after brushing my hair it'll get a little oily, though, and that's when a little dry shampoo around the part works wonders, especially too add some volume for updos.

ravenreed
March 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I haven't found it at all drying.

So should I really not be concerned about the alcohol in these sprays? I've been wondering about it too.

gracenotes
March 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
I have tried tresemee, bed head, cornstarch, baby powder, and flour and nothing has worked well for me. I wish I could find a good dry shampoo because my hair gets so oily.

I recommend Batiste as well. The spray can makes it easier to distribute through the hair, and it comes in a bunch of different "flavors".

DarkAlice
March 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
I love the idea of shampoo bars being all natural and they smell great but they make my hair puffy:afro:, but a lot of people on here swear by them...I love the smell of them and use them for my skin instead...wish it worked for me

Rose Petal
March 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have used dry shampoos and talc.

I prefer talc for two reasons.
Firstly, it is easier to control the amount you put in
Secondly, and more importantly, the day after I use dry shampoo my hair looks both oily and big! It also tangles easily. The day after I use talc my hair looks pretty much the same as normal, with only a normal bit of oil added from previous day, and I can use it again if I really need to, unlike dry shampoo.

I have found talc is working particularly well with C/O washing, and can allow my APL hair to stretch C/O wash method up to four days. Three is better with talc, two without talc. Talc use begins from day three with C/O.

ButterCream
March 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM

Batiste dry shampoo I love it too, it is a lifesaver for me.
No matter what I do I get an oily scalp the day after I wash, and nothing helps, (I have tried everything everyone has written about i rinces, different ways of washing, stretch washes to let scalp adjust, cone free etc, etc, etc...) and nothing what so ever have worked. Although going CO and cone free has made my itchy scalp less itchy:D

I have found out after years of battling with it that it is because of my hormonal imbalance which I am on medication for. It really doesn`t help that I have thin hair and Seborrhea either...:rolleyes:
Anyway... after trying Batiste It helps me stretch out washes and it makes my hair light and airy, so I love it! And it doesn`t dry me out one bit, and my scalp tend to react on many things, so totally reccomend to try it at least:)

PS. Somone here said dry shampoo involves a lot of brushing? That has not have to be the case actually, at least not with Batiste.
Just spray it on your areas on your scalp where you are oily. Just let it soak up the oilies for a second and then just use movements like you do when you wash your scalp normally, and now you are done. Super quick and easy. I brush my hair a littlebit to smooth it out afterwards because my hair is straight, but no need for heavy brushing.
Also you get Batiste in darker colors too so your hair doesn`t appear white after using it.

Babs1039
March 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM
@ButterCream you answered my next question about how not to get the white streaks where I spray the dry shampoo. When my hair was dark brown it was really noticable which is why I don't use the talc. My hair looked gray when I used that! :eek:

ButterCream
March 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
@ButterCream you answered my next question about how not to get the white streaks where I spray the dry shampoo. When my hair was dark brown it was really noticable which is why I don't use the talc. My hair looked gray when I used that! :eek:

Yeah, I know, using the white makes the hair sort of dull and grey as you say.
But when I switched to the brown one there is no sign of that anymore:D
My hair is (since I stopped coloring and making blond highlights in it) sort of light brown with hint of red in it, which pops up only in flash photography and in direct sunlight. In "normal" light it is just lighter brown. Hopefully the brown Batiste will suit you too and help you with that whitish effect. It should be muuuuch better than the white one at least! :)

Orangerthanred
March 4th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Dry shampoo seems like a scam. My mother has oily hair and she bought spray on dry shampoo and foam. The spray on worked a little bit, but the foam made her hair greasier!

Personally, I use baby powder. The only downside is if you don't comb/brush it through it looks like your hair is white. :p

ButterCream
March 4th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Dry shampoo seems like a scam. My mother has oily hair and she bought spray on dry shampoo and foam. The spray on worked a little bit, but the foam made her hair greasier!

Personally, I use baby powder. The only downside is if you don't comb/brush it through it looks like your hair is white. :p

I don`t find dry shampoo a scam at all, in fact it really has saved me sooo many times from having to wash my hair too often. I have tried the talkum powder thing too and it didn`t work for me. I have thin hair and not too much of it either, which makes the hairs get oily fast.

You mention foam, but where does that come in the picture? Is it a special foam that came along with the dry shampoo, or..? Just curious since that was new to me:)
I have never used anything but the dry shampoo itself in my hair, and it doesn`t make my hair or scalp itchy or oily.
But then again, different things works for different people.

The only really bad experience I have had with dry shampoo was when I strayed from my usual Batiste and tried some other ones, they had some silicone elements in it, (my bad, didn`t read the lables good enough:o) and they were terrible. Since then it has been just Batiste for me as they have the best ingredients, for my scalp at least.

terylenerose
March 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I haven't used commercial dry shampoo but I have tried cocoa powder. I don't like it because it's messy, is hard to get out of my hair and makes it hard to comb through. Other than that, it's fine for when I really can't wash with water.

Beckstar
March 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I have been using dry shampoo between trips to the hairdresser and found it to be a lifesaver. I just spray my roots and massage my scalp. My hair is dark and so far no streaks or white residue left.