View Full Version : In fashion?

styric
February 28th, 2012, 04:00 PM
It seems long hair is really in fashion right now here. I walked into Walmart yesterday with my hair loose to my waist, and I was nearly the shortest length in the store with the longest being knee and average being TBL.

I thought I'd walked into an LHC meet, but it's everywhere right now. It was a real :o :D moment. I even saw someone with hip length gray hair in tiny braids with beads. It looked gorgeous!

Shepherdess
February 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I don't see that very often where I live. That is neat! :) I love seeing people with long hair. I only know one other girl at my school with long hair the same length as mine. Everyone else seems to have shoulder length or shorter.

Macaroni
February 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I never see anything like that around here, I'd like to have some longhair locals.

blondyhead
February 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I love seeing long hair thats been looked after, there is nothing worse than seeing someone with long hair ( or short hair ) that looks really unhealthly, with about a foot of split ends or really damaged by bleach.

RapunzelKat
February 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM
:hmm: It does not seem to be in fashion where I live... I see waist every now and then, and rarely a TBL, but that's pretty much it ;) Most have short layered cuts. I actually have the longest hair of anyone I know in real life ;)

ETA: I'm kinda jealous, Styric... I would love to get to see knee-length hair out and about! :D

danceri110
February 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I live in New York City and it's all the rage to have 'super-long' (read: past BSL) hair right now, mostly from the Tumblr influence and the hipsters (x

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
One of my best friends has TBL hair and that's the longest hair I've ever seen on anyone in real life. I've seen a few with waist length but no longer than TBL.

Madora
February 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Alas, not much long hair sightings in my area. I did see one lady who appeared to be in her 40s with beautiful, healthy grey hair to her waist, but she was the exception.

"Long hair" around here is usually scraggly, shot to hell, downright awful. What a pity..to have great hair genes and not know how to care for your hair properly!

spidermom
February 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Wow - I wonder how many of the people that you saw had extensions (if any).

I don't see much long hair around here, and very rarely anybody with hair longer than mine.

styric
February 28th, 2012, 04:53 PM
My stylist told me she is making incredible trade in extensions right now so probably a good amount!

Diamond.Eyes
February 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think long hair is definitely in-fashion among the younger crowd. I know so many girls who wear clip-in hair extensions while growing their real hair out. I also get asked by so many of my friends and I've been approached by girls I don't even know; asking me how long it has taken to get my hair this long and what I did to make it grow. I don't usually tell complete strangers my hair habits because I have experienced some negativity about it before. I just tell them no heat, no dye, coconut oil, and stretch your washes. I wouldn't be surprised if membership on the LHC vastly grew this Summer, as long hair is the "in thing" this season :rolleyes:.

millyaulait
February 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Lucky! :D

Long hair is pretty common here, but almost all of the long hair where I live is so very obviously extensions, or so damaged from straightening, blowfrying and bleaching!

Although there is a beautiful woman who works in a restaurant I used to go to, and she has the silkiest-looking, shiny, healthy & glossy black hair to her TB.

She was actually the very person that inspired me to grow mine! :)

Arya
February 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Lucky! :D

Long hair is pretty common here, but almost all of the long hair where I live is so very obviously extensions, or so damaged from straightening, blowfrying and bleaching!

Although there is a beautiful woman who works in a restaurant I used to go to, and she has the silkiest-looking, shiny, healthy & glossy black hair to her TB.

She was actually the very person that inspired me to grow mine! :)

Hah, this is my favourite. It's like, chin length at the front shoulder length at the back DESTROYED hair, and then these silky not quite the same colour locks flowing out from below to BSL. Hmmmmmmm....

Sillage
February 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'm noticing more people with longer hair in my daily life but I never think of long hair being out of fashion since it's always always ALWAYS on the runways.

jeanniet
February 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'd say most of the longer hair here is BSL to waist, but I do sometimes see longer--and for whatever reason, the longest hair is usually on women over 40, which is pretty cool.

BlondieHepburn
February 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Definitely in Paris I see tons of long hair. It seems extremely common to see waist-length hair on the majority of girls on the street. So I still feel like mine is short. :rolleyes:

dwell_in_safety
February 28th, 2012, 06:31 PM
It's not common here in northwestern Indiana. Most hair is shorter than APL, with the majority of it right around shoulder length. The longest I ever see is BSL, and bleach and chemical dyes are ubiquitous.

Avital88
February 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Well here tailbone length is quite common.I even see a lot of classic length in real life, this is one of the reasons i still feel that i have short hair, but in Europe i do not..
Well i like that we are in fashion:P but in fashion or not i adore long hair forever

Amber_Maiden
February 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Not a trend here either... The last time I saw someone with long hair it was a guy in his 60's with dreads at a hippie vegan cafe. Usually I have the longest hair in any of the places I go.

SoulOfTheSea
February 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I live in a conservative town (not to my liking, although the city is beautiful), so most of the girls sport shorter and preppy hair styles. So for me having hair like I do, I stand out, which I love. :D

Maktub
February 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well if it's going strong in New York and Paris, I guess we should all get ready to see more and more long hair this year ! :p

This being said, the trend is not here yet...

Love seeing long healthy hair, but it does make me feel that my hair is so short....

cuddledumplin
February 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I see people with very long hair about once per month here. By very long I mean classic or longer.

Valorie
February 28th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I've noticed the long hair trend too where I live currently and where I lived before. Also the trend of extensions over the last years seems to be pretty big with a lot of people. Heidi W I think what you said is right on.
The last time I went into Sally Beauty Supply the lady working asked if my hair was my own. I've never been asked this so I said,"No- it's henna." She goes," No. I meant is it your own hair?"
Uhm.. yes :confused:

maborosi
February 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Wow - I wonder how many of the people that you saw had extensions (if any).

I don't see much long hair around here, and very rarely anybody with hair longer than mine.

Same here. It's really just not that common.

Also, true on the extensions thing. It is really easy (for me) to spot extensions on people, and that is usually what I see.

I saw a highschool-age girl with super long, stick-straight, black hair that was somewhat razored near the top. That almost duped me, but I realized quickly that it wasn't her own hair.

When I had WL hair, people would often ask if my hair was real or extensions.

~maborosi~

PixxieStix
February 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Lol, for a minute there I was thinking "Well how can people be sporting long hair for the "in look this season"" when it takes years to grow it out?! :p <--- to myself. Extensions, duh.

The most common length I see here is APL, some BSL, and I've seen a small handful of people IRL at my school who have hair longer than that. A few weekends ago though I was in Costco and felt like I had walked into a LHC meet! There were gorgeous heads of long, silky, well cared for hair everywhere. It was amazing. I can't wait to be the one who usually has the longest hair in the crowd though. :cloud9: Oh, I can dream. I'm getting more and more tempted to give Monistat a try for a few months just to see, as I won't do extensions, I want my long hair to be my own!

elbow chic
February 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Not here, except for Pentecostal chicks. Even if it IS the thing in New York, it may never permeate this far out. Though I never thought those '90s hipster-y glasses would make it to my neighborhood, either, but lo and behold, they are starting to pop up! Ye gods!

I'll get used it it about the time it goes back out of style. :p

melusine963
February 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I only know one classic length person in real life, and I've only ever seen one girl with tailbone length hair on my university campus (and one guy with a hip length braid). Either all the other longhairs keep their hair up, or there just aren't that many around where I live. I hope it's the former :)

jacqueline101
February 29th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I don't see too many long haired people at WalMart.

Tota
February 29th, 2012, 03:06 AM
It definitely is in fashion here in the city where I live, but most of it are extensions and very bad ones I'd say because you could spot them from an airplane. Some teenage girls are growing out their natural hair and that is wonderful, but I rarely see hair longer than BSL. Maybe it will get longer in a while ;) I also see that many women still sport that Pamela Anderson look - bleached with yellow roots, teased, curled and thinned out at the ends... It may look good from afar, but when you look closer ... This is really popular with women right now.

Nera
February 29th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I guess long hair is becoming more popular in Holland. But not many people have got the discipline to really take care of it.

What is really big in Holland at the moment, are buns on top of heads. Which I consider to be a good thing, because i remember it being so comfortable back when my hair was shorter.

Iolanthe13
February 29th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Not too many really long-haired people around here. I saw a woman with reasonably healthy hair almost to her knees once in town, and I know a girl with hip-length blonde hair. Unfortunately the girl I know doesn't really care for her hair (or keep it neat) so it's usually sort of damaged-looking. BSL isn't too uncommon among students, though.

Arya
February 29th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Start taking Krill oil. My grandma and auntie have both noticed that their grey hairs are disappearing since taking it. My auntie, who's been white for the last 15 years and grey since I can remember maybe 23 years) has dark brown roots.

LocustSpawning
February 29th, 2012, 04:25 AM
When I see posts like this I'm like 'whaaaaaaat???' I've never even see hair close to knee length in real life, ever!!! Waist length is pretty long here.

PorkChop
February 29th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Long hair is definitely in fashion at the moment. Even where I live, the favoured choice is BSL+, I'd say the majority are extensions however, BUT I do seem to be noticing a lot more natural long hair than a few years ago.

Quetiepi
February 29th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I ran into my hair inspriation at Wal-mart 2 weeks ago. She has tailbone length natural gray hair. It's only the 2nd time I've seen her, the first was like 5 years ago and I was inspired to grow my natural color to waist length.

There aren't that many long haired folks around here, and if women do have longer hair it's rarely longer than BSL.

I have noticed more models in commercials on tv having long, layered hair. It's so striking on a woman!

joflakes
February 29th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Not seen anyone with long hair hair except a student I work with who has classic length hair. I have a mini bob, my best mate has a bit longer and my sister has a chelsea skinhead cut.

Littlewing13
February 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Wow! Here in Sydney lots of people have bsl to waist at the moment, especially the young girls. But lots also colour & so the really long lengths aren't often seen here.

eicamawa
February 29th, 2012, 05:13 AM
It's in here were I live. Most girls my age have hair between BSL and waist, and many have longer too. But it stops around tailbone, so that's were I'm reaching for :)

Eleentje
February 29th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I guess long hair is becoming more popular in Holland. But not many people have got the discipline to really take care of it.

What is really big in Holland at the moment, are buns on top of heads. Which I consider to be a good thing, because i remember it being so comfortable back when my hair was shorter.

Definitely seems like it, I see a lot of women here with BSL/MBL, WL is less common. Spotting healthy hair is way harder, though. Bleach and dye seems to be the in-thing right now.

ladyshep
February 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I think it has always been in fasion. When you are growing out your own hair, and concentrate on hair a lot, yes you will start seeing that other people have long hair that you might not have noticed before. Just like if you get a new car, you start to notice the same car other people are driving around town.

ALthough, it is pretty rare to see extreme lengths now days, but maybe people are coming back to that.

My 2nd grade daughter has a friend in her class that wants long hair like M, so she just had hair extensions put in her hair. She now has longer hair than M (down to her butt) along with some purple braids. lol

MonaMayfair
February 29th, 2012, 09:04 AM
LOADS of long hair where I live in London.
I noticed 5 or 6 girls only this morning with particularly nice hair, mid back to waist. All of them wavy and apparently natural color (not that I prefer natural to dyed - I don't necessarily)

I consider BSL long though. Don't often see longer than waist length (and the last few times I have, it's been very unkempt looking)

whitedove
February 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Just been shooping (big weekly shop argh) and had read this post before going. So I looked about at hair lengths. Seems many in my area have short hair, few had APL to BSL. Only saw 2 Ladys with MBL.

StellaKatherine
February 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yes it does feel like long hair is in fashion right now. Even my mom who hated my long braid like FOR EVER said that she is going to grow her hair pass her shoulders! :cheese: But still kinda rarely i see a really long hair, i mean those that are pass waist line. I guess if this fashion continues we will see some more of the longhaired girls in the future!

Oh btw in our little city we actually have a LOT of men with long hair ! :D That is probably because our city is famous for heavy metal bands and such ^^

heidi w.
February 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Alas, not much long hair sightings in my area. I did see one lady who appeared to be in her 40s with beautiful, healthy grey hair to her waist, but she was the exception.

"Long hair" around here is usually scraggly, shot to hell, downright awful. What a pity..to have great hair genes and not know how to care for your hair properly!

Where I currently reside, I actually see a large amount of long lengths. Poor people tend to have longer hair as they can't afford salon visits and hair colorings and whatnot. They're just trying to feed themselves and their kids. However, I likwise see lots of crappy long hair. It's rare that I see a gorgeous head of hair. Most of it is dull in hue, a tangled mess, in a ponytail, straggly and unkempt looking. It's just the way it is. PLUS it's still winter here, and people are all bundled up so no one looks very terrific. I live in a fairly low income area, and it shows in a myriad of ways: cars, buildings, education, what people eat (what they think is fancy food), raising kids, clothing, how they talk....it's plainly obvious. I wish I could hold a hair care seminar, but people then think I'm a I'm better than you are believer. Which I don't believe at all. People here are very uncomfortable when someone tries to show any authority on any subject. I'm also at the Northern Tip of The Bible Belt and I believe this is an influence as well.

heidi w.

Tomoyo
February 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Where I currently reside, I actually see a large amount of long lengths. Poor people tend to have longer hair as they can't afford salon visits and hair colorings and whatnot.

heidi w.

Agreed; where I am, long hair is usually one of two things: either super-long extensions for the purpose of "scene hair" (usually complete with backcombing and that stripey dye job style (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scene+hair&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=16591l18202l0l18325l10l7l0l2l2l1l340l1785l0 .2.3.2l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=622&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=wVtOT5yjIsWHsgKdqLEl#) where, quite clearly, the goal is not to look particularly natural) OR, it's scraggly and uncared for, and has only gotten long because of lack of care rather than because a goal has been achieved.

styric
February 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Scene hair always makes me cringe at the damage all the bleaching, backcombing, teasing and ironing does...

lunamummy
February 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
LOADS of long hair where I live in London.
I noticed 5 or 6 girls only this morning with particularly nice hair, mid back to waist. All of them wavy and apparently natural color (not that I prefer natural to dyed - I don't necessarily)

I consider BSL long though. Don't often see longer than waist length (and the last few times I have, it's been very unkempt looking)

Ditto in my bit of N London, especially girls around 16-20. It keeps me motivated! But older women seem to have shorter hair, around here, at least.

I almost never see hair below waist either though. I adore classic length hair, but I wouldn't say it is fashionable here to have hair that long, do you think?

dulce
February 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Not a lot of long hair here,none on older women and not much on other ages except for little girls[under 10 years]The long hair trend is definitely not where I live.

Mischamiu
March 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I live in an "oriental" country and here long hair has always been a signe of beauty, but I noticed that recently a lot of women and girls have started dying their hair blond even if their skin is really tanned. It is just away,I think, to look more "european" because all of the girl in the ads seem to have very fair skin,blue eyes and blond hair. I think it would be better to see girls who actually look more like us(there are not a lot of girls who fit in that category here). I feel like it's the main reason why people destroy their beautiful long black hair dying it blond