PDA

View Full Version : Scalp troubles

Periwinkle
February 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi guys. I've not been around on the forums for some time now, mostly because everything has been hunky-dory in the World of my Hair and I figured I could do without the constant enabling that this site provides :p However, I now have some issues and I could do with some help...

At about the beginning of February, my head suddenly started itching like crazy. It was so bad that I actually scratched until I bled. I also noticed very small white dots near the scalp and immediately figured that it was probably nits. I didn't have a nit comb so I went out and bought one and also a chemical treatment. I checked thoroughly with the comb, couldn't find anything, but did the treatment anyway (I know you're not supposed to, but I couldn't bear the thought that there might be something crawling on my scalp...).

I then went away for a week. The itching went away and I didn't notice anything else but the place where I was staying was pretty short on mirrors so I probably wouldn't have. I was in France, where the bread is fantastic, so I spent all week eating it.

I returned with terrible dandruff. I used to have real problems with dandruff and they went away as soon as I cut white bread almost out of my diet, so I figured that was the cause and it would go away.

No such luck :( The dandruff is TERRIBLE (but very recognisably dandruff, so I'm 100% sure my problem is NOT nits) even though I've cut white bread back out of my diet. It's worse than I ever had before, and what's worse, my scalp has started itching again.

I thought using a harsh shampoo after I got back (couldn't wash my hair for a longer than I wanted due to travel) might have irritated it, so yesterday I did a CO wash, but it hasn't helped - within 2 hours my hair was full of flakes again!!

Also, I don't know if it's relevant but my skin has been a bit worse than normal lately. It's not that bad though - not any worse than it sometimes gets (I'm a teenager).

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing the problem or what I might be able to do to calm my hair down?

wildmane
February 28th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I am having a similar problem with my scalp. Its getting drier. I wish I could :horse: it.
Its annoying too, only a day after shampooing with a no sulphate shampoo and still it itches. There are very very tiny flakes I believe. This is after an olive oil scalp treatment and then the no-sulphate shampoo. I really need help.

In the mean time I'll get a new bottle of head and shoulder to try but then Im out of ideas to try. Please advise as the scratching is driving me crazy.

Anje
February 28th, 2012, 05:35 PM
First of all, find someone who has experience with lice to look at your scalp, just to be safe. The buggers are often resistant to chemicals these days, so you might not have gotten them, and the pesticide shampoo might have dried your scalp to the point where it's all flakey now. (If that comes back positive, I'd suggest you go with a smother-and-comb routine instead of more pesticides. Easier on your hair, since the olive oil or conditioner you use for smothering also makes nit combing easier, and it'll be much nicer on your scalp.)

Otherwise, it sounds like your scalp is really dry. So no more harsh shampoos -- they'll just dry it further. You might want to oil your scalp with something like olive oil for a few hours before a wash, for some moisture. Wash your hair as you find works best. Then before you get out, make a solution of diluted vinegar (10% vinegar is usually a good place to start) and pour it over your hair and scalp. Don't rinse it out unless it's burning (and then try again with a weaker solution in later washes). Acidic rinses seem to help a lot of angry scalps. Repeat as needed.

ETA: It's not a solution, but you can mix some sugar with conditioner to scrub your scalp and reduce the flakes. Just don't scrub so much that you irritate it. If you rub it raw, the vinegar will most certainly sting.

Kelikea
February 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I agree with Anje, and also you could try some tea tree oil mixed with jojoba, as a leave-in. Just rub some on your finger tips and massage into scalp. It feels kinda tingly and soothing on irritated skin.

wildmane
February 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Anje
I really hope its not lice. I had the half cup olive oil pretreatment on my scalp for a couple of hours and still since the following day, the scalp itches every few hours.
I used Nature gates team tree shampoo.

For the vinegar solution, would apple cider vinegar work? I'm thinking about 3 tablespoons in 2 cups of water.

Thanks. I'll need to start on this today.

Periwinkle
March 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Hm, I was sure I'd replied to this a few days ago but obviously not! Basically:

- Thanks for your advice everyone
- I'm 100% sure it's not nits as unfortunately I had them a few years ago and had to deal with all the endless checking and combing that entails, so I know what I'm looking for, plus see next paragraph
- What kind of vinegar is best to use?

I did another wash just now (CO again, haven't had time to track down any more interesting remedies), went to the mirror not two minutes afterwards and already!!! my hair is full of flakes!! It's still sopping wet!!!! I did ANOTHER comb-through for nits but again found absolutely nothing so I'm still sure that's not the solution. It also makes me think this could be something to do with my scalp being touched or irritated? - as obviously that's what I've just done in washing it...

The flakes are annoyingly large...really quite embarrassing as I don't want to be seen like this!

I will try the oil treatment and vinegar/sugar....any other bright ideas what might be causing this? I'm off to go research...

Alvrodul
March 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I hope you find out what is causing the problem and are able to deal with it!
It sounds like a dry scalp to me as well, so I to recommend products that aren't drying. You might take a good, hard look at the ingredients in the products you use. I have some allergies myself, and if you yourself are sensitive to something, this might make any problems with your scalp worse.

Periwinkle
June 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, sorry to drag this old thread back up again but my problem is back!

I tried a few things (CO washing, oiling the scalp), but basically the problem just seemed to go away by itself, and that was fine by me. Now the itchy scalp is back, pretty much the same symptoms except not such awful dandruff.

Both times, my skin has broken out really badly about a week before my scalp got bad. I normally have very clear skin so that's notable.

However, it could be down to stress - I was working very hard back in March, and I'm a student and I've just sat my final exams, so maybe that's it? That could cause my skin to break out as well I suppose...

Haven't checked for nits or anything again, but the fact that I've broken out AND the fact that it went away and came back (plus that I did a million checks last time and found nothing) is saying to me that that's not it.

Did a CO wash yesterday, but didn't help. Also, last week accidentally shampoo'd all my hair (got the bottles mixed up!), which I guess probably got rid of any buildup, but on the other hand would have been pretty harsh.

Any ideas? Anything either to relieve the itching or that might be the cause. I'm thinking I'll try a WO tonight and then oil the length (just so it's manageable), see if that helps at all...

GrowingGlory
June 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
California Baby makes a mostly organic and natural shampoo for people with eczema. It is emollient and soothing. They also make eczema cream which you could apply to your scalp. HTH.

Othala
June 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and posted a thread about it.

For some unknown reason, I developed a very sensitive, extremely dry and painful scalp. I tried ACV, CO, WO, rhassoul clay packs, oils, etc, to no avail.

Finally, after a great deal of trial and error, I found out that what I needed on my scalp was the same thing that I would need to put on chronically dried and sensitive skin i.e. a bland calming, soothing moisturiser applied a few times a day and left in rather than rinsed out.

I used two products every day. Curly Junkie Daily Fix which is a cleansing conditioner that chelates, followed by Nexxus Vitatress Biotin scalp creme that cools and soothes and instantly (for me) eradicated itching and dryness. This approach and these products may or may not work for you, but I hope that my experience may give you some food for thought.

I know how maddening scalp problems can be and you have my sympathies. I wish you the best of luck in finding a remedy that works.

meteor
June 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Periwinkle, what kind of oils are you using on scalp?
Have you tried tea tree oil, lavender oil, neem oil, mustard oil? Those help the health of scalp overall and are quite potent. Also if you've already tried a few strong dandruff shampoos and they didn't help, it's probably time to talk to a dermatologist.

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Growingglory - never knew you could get eczema shampoo! I will try to get some and see if it helps.

Othala - that's interesting as I have found that moisturising has helped my skin (which is odd, because aside from these two periods, my skin HATES being moisturised and always becomes an oily, greasy mess if I do!). I will look for the products you have recommended or something similar (I'm in the UK, not sure if I'll be able to get the same stuff). Also, what does 'chelates' mean? The wikipedia explanation is beyond me!

Meteor - nope! I've only tried coconut oil, though aside from the few times I've specifically tried oiling my scalp, usually I just oil the length. I also (though now you mention it, it seems really REALLY obvious) haven't tried an anti-dandruff shampoo - only a conditioner. (I have had dandruff trouble in the past and used anti-dandruff shampoo and it worked, but eventually I found that the root of the problem came down to diet, and I haven't had any problems since so went back to regular shampoo).

So, here's the shopping list for the chemist: eczema shampoo, scalp creme/moisturiser, tea tree/lavender/neem/mustard oil, dandruff shampoo. I'll keep you posted!

Othala
June 29th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I will look for the products you have recommended or something similar (I'm in the UK, not sure if I'll be able to get the same stuff). Also, what does 'chelates' mean? The wikipedia explanation is beyond me!

Hi Periwinkle, Sorry for the late response - I have only just seen this.

I hope your scalp has calmed down and that you have found solutions for your problem.

I am also in the U.K and if you want to try either of the two products I have recommended then here are the sources:

Curl Junkie Daily Fix cleansing conditioner can be purchased here: http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/store/products/Daily-Fix-12oz.html

Nexxus Vitatress Biotin scalp creme can be purchased on amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nexxus-Vitatress-Biotin-Scalp-Cream/dp/B002UEG9PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340974120&sr=8-1

Chelate simply means to remove mineral deposits such as calcium that accumulates on hair in hard water areas.

Hope this helps and all best wishes for a healthy scalp and a happy you.