PDA

View Full Version : Chemical dye/bleaching dilemma..

joflakes
February 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hi all,

So. I had my hair bleached from virgin hair and put red semi-permanent on it. I reapplied Directions/Stargazer periodically over 6 weeks.

By this point my hair had considerable dark roots!

I asked my sister (who had previously dyed my hair and done a good job) to bleach the roots with a 6% (20vol) peroxide & bleach powder combination.

She missed half my roots as she couldn't be bothered but at the time I didn't realise and put on Crazy Colour in Fire.

My hair is now neon pink at the temples where the bleach has lifted well. The rest is a mix of neon roots and kinda pants red lengths and ends. The dye doesn't like my hair at all and won't stay in!

Anyway. I want a deeper, less mad looking red.

I have bought Directions in Vermillion but I don't know whether or not to do the remaining roots that were missed or to leave them and hope the Vermillion is dark enough to provide coverage? The missed roots are at the back of my head, my parting and sides at the front are okay.

I don't want to damage my hair and I have a coconut oil in it as I type. It doesn't feel damaged or dry at the ends or anywhere else, I just don't want to end up like that as I am growing out from a pixie.

Other dilemma is whether or not to wait a few days and wash wash wash the Crazy Colour out as it is coming out so fast.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Neneka
February 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Wait a little. Maybe two weeks? It will fade a bit and then it's easier to see what you have to cover. You have it just in the roots?

I am using Directions dyes and I have used Vermillion red. I think it's not very dark but with it the madness of reds could "calm down". I have noticed that those reds (at least Directions reds) are kind of orange-based or pink-based and you can kind of "neutralize" them with mixing them. I have some old orange-based dye on my hair and I am now using pink-based dye to make it more neutral. In my experience vermillion red is orange-based, not strongly but it is. This is completely my own experience...

You could also try green dye to make your red more brownish. Just be very careful.

What is the colour you actually want? Can you find a picture with it? Can you find a picture that shows your current problematic colour? :)

Sorry if I misunderstood something. My mother tongue is not English. :)

joflakes
February 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Wait a little. Maybe two weeks? It will fade a bit and then it's easier to see what you have to cover. You have it just in the roots?

I am using Directions dyes and I have used Vermillion red. I think it's not very dark but with it the madness of reds could "calm down". I have noticed that those reds (at least Directions reds) are kind of orange-based or pink-based and you can kind of "neutralize" them with mixing them. I have some old orange-based dye on my hair and I am now using pink-based dye to make it more neutral. In my experience vermillion red is orange-based, not strongly but it is. This is completely my own experience...

You could also try green dye to make your red more brownish. Just be very careful.

What is the colour you actually want? Can you find a picture with it? Can you find a picture that shows your current problematic colour? :)

Sorry if I misunderstood something. My mother tongue is not English. :)

Thanks for your reply! Your English is just fine.

I don't want a brownish red but I want a vivid dark red maybe like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LPySjL5vyto/TnYq0755_YI/AAAAAAAAAeY/Z3j9no-Kuxc/s640/bright-red-hair.jpg but a little deeper in colour.

My current hair is a mess. I don't think I can live with it for two weeks! :(

I know that Directions and suchlike aren't damaging to the hair so it might be an idea to just chuck it on and see how it ends up. That way I might be able to avoid bleaching anymore altogether!

ETA: No I put it on the whole of my head, but just the dye, not the bleach! It's looking awful after only 5 days. It was put over faded reddy pink semi permanent.