PDA

View Full Version : Now I believe that your hair grows longer in the summer/heat

Ryzen
July 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
So I lifeguard during the weekends (Friday-Sunday) for 12 hours each day and I'm in the heat all day. I recently gotten highlights done about a month ago and my roots already grew out 1 inch since then! I would not have noticed but I looked in the mirror to S&D (chlorine=dry ends/split ends :() and I noticed, I grew out 1 inch! I did not believe that fact/belief could be applied to my hair since it grew so slow but it does. :D

Did the summer heat have any effect on any of your guys lengths yet?

*BelievingAgain
July 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Well I live in Australia, so it's our winter here atm (I live in an area on the coast that doesn't get very cold though, so it's just like nice cool air, with really bright sunshine).

I'm a firm believer that hair grows quicker in the warmer months... Is it a metabolism thing? I'm not sure, so if anyone out there knows (and I'm sure there's a fair few of you who do!!!) please let us know!!

Jess :flower:

Islandgrrl
July 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Oh yeah...my hair definitely grows faster in the warmer months. No doubt about it.

Zindell
July 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Yes, I've noticed two "seasonal hair changes".

- My hair grows faster in the spring/summer
- I loose more hair in the fall

Exodus
July 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
My hair never grows faster, it can grow slower a few of the winter months, but the growth is the same spring, summer and autumn.
Of course, haven't been much of a summer here this year so far, but I'm sure my hair wouldn't grown more anyway.

30isthenewblack
July 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM
Well I live in Australia, so it's our winter here atm (I live in an area on the coast that doesn't get very cold though, so it's just like nice cool air, with really bright sunshine).

I'm a firm believer that hair grows quicker in the warmer months... Is it a metabolism thing? I'm not sure, so if anyone out there knows (and I'm sure there's a fair few of you who do!!!) please let us know!!

Jess :flower:

Australian here too except I'm in Sydney and it's freezing here! I've only been measuring my hair since May 2008 and it's grown 1.5" in winter. I think that's pretty good but I'm hoping for more growth in the summer!

Isilme
July 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Absolutely! When it gets rainy, windy and humid and the grey clouds settles over the scandinavian peninsula and the sun rises at 9-10 am and settles at 3-4 pm, yes then my hair grows sloooow. But during the summer months when we only have about four hours of darkness every night my hair grows at the speed of light :D I wonder how my hair would grow if I lived in a area with more light year round...

FrannyG
July 21st, 2008, 06:16 AM
My hair grows at pretty much the same rate all year around. It's been about two years now that I've been measuring my hair monthly, and it grows a pretty steady 3/4" per month, winter or summer. Since my hair grows so quickly, I won't complain about not having a summer spurt. :)

lora410
July 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Yup, I am averaging an inch a month :D

morgwn
July 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
I have noticed in the past that my hair grows faster when it's warm. Perhaps because the skin's pores are more open and the skin is less tight? Not sure exactly why. However, I WISH that we were having a summer here! For the second year in a row we're just having a cold and rainy summer, so my hair's been growing pretty slowly for a good while now. I'd love some heat! :D

Haith
July 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that my hair's growing like crazy now that its getting hot and humid here. In the winter, it feels like my hair stalls and doesn't really grow at all.

NurseMama
July 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
I always grow more in the summer. I just measured and I had an inch of growth in 10 days- I am a newbie Monistat user as well ;).

I always shed in the spring. I feel like one of my dogs- once the weather heats up I need to get rid of my "winter coat".

sapphire-o
July 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I must be odd. I always have slower growth in summer and lose hair all the time. In winter my hair is great, though. Grows faster and thicker and in nicer condition. I suppose that can make sense. When I'm cold I need more hair so it grows faster. :)

Julesn
July 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ok...here's a question. How about those of us who live in a hot & humid climate year round? I live in TX, btw. Anyway, do you all who live in a hotter part of the US (or another country) notice that your hair grows faster? I used to live in NH, where it can be cold for 5-6 months of the year, but I haven't noticed my hair growing any differently since moving here ( 1.5 years ago). Then again, I don't measure, either. Thoughts?

Julie :)

chrissy-b
July 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ok...here's a question. How about those of us who live in a hot & humid climate year round? I live in TX, btw. Anyway, do you all who live in a hotter part of the US (or another country) notice that your hair grows faster? I used to live in NH, where it can be cold for 5-6 months of the year, but I haven't noticed my hair growing any differently since moving here ( 1.5 years ago). Then again, I don't measure, either. Thoughts?

When I was living in TX my hair seemed to grow incredibly fast. I remember coming back to California for a visit after being in TX for only 6 months or so and no one could believe how long my hair was. I didn't notice because I wasn't trying, but now that I'm in California, and paying attention to my growth rate it seems like it has slowed down. And strangest of all: now that it's summer, it seems to be growing even slower. :confused:

Tressie
July 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've always heard that hair tends to grow faster in the summer, and it seems to be true for many of you. If I can get DH to help me measure this month and then again in August, I will see if I am a lucky summer :ogrower as well!

kate46
July 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
My hair does indeed seem to grow a little faster in summer but I shed more :( I have been shedding like crazy since the spring, although at the same time, I am also getting tons of baby hairs so maybe the shedding is not such a bad thing, my hair is just re-newing itself, at least I hope that's what it is :eyebrows:

paper
July 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
I got my hair trimmed few weeks ago, an inch. I noticed yesterday, it feels longer then it did before trim. I put it up in my hair clip yesterday, and I had more hair hanging over the top then ever before. I wonder if it's a summer thing too.

ladystar
July 23rd, 2008, 06:23 AM

I live in South Florida, and I won’t be able to tell the difference in my hair growth from winter to summer. We rarely get any kind of winter months here. Some years even Christmas day feels like summer here:rolleyes:. lol

vidgrl007
July 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
I must be an odd duck because my hair seems to like winter better.

I had at least an inch in oct-march but now I've had very little growth.

Its very frustrating because it seems to have stalled at just below my shoulders:(.

If I can just make it to apl I will be fine.

I dont mesure because everytime I do I get the urge to cut because it doesn't seem to move and I think if i cut off my ends then ill have this amazing growth lol .

dor3girl
July 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I don't notice a change in growth, but I do notice that lately my hair has been falling out like crazy & more breakage than usual...very very sad!

bex487
July 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure if my hair grows faster in the summer or not. I do know it FEELS longer because when it's hot and sticky I always get uncontrollable urges to chop it all off! :scissors: