PDA

View Full Version : ATTN; 2b/Fs

UP Lisa
February 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Do you de-tangle when your hair is wet or dry? I still can't seem to figure out which is better.

holomi
February 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I always do dry. It seems to glide through very easily. If I detangle while wet, it takes forever and it feels damaging to my hair.

I also detangle in the shower with conditioner and a shower comb.

UP Lisa
February 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
If I detangle in the shower, my hair is tangled up again by the time I get out and get it towel dried. (And I do NOT rub it with the towel!).

So it seems pointless to do it in the shower.

quote=holomi;2019087]I always do dry. It seems to glide through very easily. If I detangle while wet, it takes forever and it feels damaging to my hair.

I also detangle in the shower with conditioner and a shower comb.[/quote]

gazelle
February 28th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I detangle when the hair is not very wet, but damp. I take some oil in my hands and it helps for finger combing. After finger combing, I comb normally

If I am using conditioner (I do not always use it), I detangle in the shower when waiting with conditioner

leslissocool
February 28th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I do it dry. Less shedding that way for me :).

teal
February 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Damp or dry. It doesn't usually tangle in the shower, though.

furnival
February 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I always wait until it's dry- then it doesn't 'cling' to itself as I detangle. Also, I figured that if hair is at its weakest when wet, then fine hair must be especially so, so I avoid manipulating it as much as I can until it's dry.

Chetanlaiho
February 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm kind of in between your categories but I figured it was close enough ;)

I wait till it's dry, it ruins my waves/curls but my hair feels quite fragile when wet and I'm terrified of breaking it and it getting thinner >_<

Renate
February 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Always dry, never wet. I also fingercomb in the shower, while rinsing the conditioner.

UP Lisa
February 28th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Looks like most of you do it dry.

I've thought I should do it wet, if possible, so that the tangles don't get set in there.

Madora
February 28th, 2012, 01:30 PM
[quote=UP Lisa;2019102]If I detangle in the shower, my hair is tangled up again by the time I get out and get it towel dried. (And I do NOT rub it with the towel!).

I'm curious, UP Lisa. What do you do right after detangling?

You mentioned that you detangle in the shower and yet your hair is tangled up again by the time you get out and go to towel dry it.

What happens between the detangling and when you get out of the shower?

Have you tried sectioning your hair prior to the shampooing process? This sectioning helps keep your hair from getting very tangled (assuming you wash in the erect position).

Perhaps you might want to put a scrunchie around the detangled hair as you work through the snarls, and keep the hair in the scrunchie until you go to towel dry.

I don't know how you towel dry but here's a suggestion that is gentler on your tresses:

Hold the towel in a vertical position and wrap it around the length

Use your palms to press down the length of the towel wrapped hair

Pin towel around your head while you finish showering or cleaning the shower

Take off after 10 minutes and then gently detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb.

Annalouise
February 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Dry. I don't even run my fingers through my hair when the conditioner is in it. I just slather the conditioner on the hair, wait, and then rinse it out. Then it goes in a towel, and then air dry. And that's it. I rarely comb or brush it. I find that just leads to damage and more shedding.

ranaenelcomal
February 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I comb it out before showering (I shower every two days and my hair gets pretty tangly within that time; if I combed every day I wouldn't be getting dreads on day 3 but oh well); when I'm in the shower, I put conditioner on my hair and finger comb it. After letting it sit for a while, I rinse it off and towel dry it like Madora said.

UP Lisa
February 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Nothing happens except me patting my head dry and squeezing down the length with the towel. I really don't do anything that should tangle it up.

[quote=UP Lisa;2019102]If I detangle in the shower, my hair is tangled up again by the time I get out and get it towel dried. (And I do NOT rub it with the towel!).

I'm curious, UP Lisa. What do you do right after detangling?

You mentioned that you detangle in the shower and yet your hair is tangled up again by the time you get out and go to towel dry it.

What happens between the detangling and when you get out of the shower?

Have you tried sectioning your hair prior to the shampooing process? This sectioning helps keep your hair from getting very tangled (assuming you wash in the erect position).

Perhaps you might want to put a scrunchie around the detangled hair as you work through the snarls, and keep the hair in the scrunchie until you go to towel dry.

I don't know how you towel dry but here's a suggestion that is gentler on your tresses:

Hold the towel in a vertical position and wrap it around the length

Use your palms to press down the length of the towel wrapped hair

Pin towel around your head while you finish showering or cleaning the shower

Take off after 10 minutes and then gently detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb.

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
[quote=UP Lisa;2020593]Nothing happens except me patting my head dry and squeezing down the length with the towel. I really don't do anything that should tangle it up.

That certainly is strange!

Well, perhaps you might try to separate it with your fingers when you're finished rinsing -- that is a part from the crown to your nape, and then putting a scrunchie on each section to keep them separate.

Re: the towel...perhaps the towel might be contributing to the problem. Do you wrap your hair in the towel then squeeze down the length?

Also, perhaps the towel itself is the problem and maybe a t-shirt would be more hair friendly? As you know, not all towels are created equal.

OhioLisa
February 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
[quote=UP Lisa;2020593]Nothing happens except me patting my head dry and squeezing down the length with the towel. I really don't do anything that should tangle it up.

That certainly is strange!

Well, perhaps you might try to separate it with your fingers when you're finished rinsing -- that is a part from the crown to your nape, and then putting a scrunchie on each section to keep them separate.

Re: the towel...perhaps the towel might be contributing to the problem. Do you wrap your hair in the towel then squeeze down the length?

Also, perhaps the towel itself is the problem and maybe a t-shirt would be more hair friendly? As you know, not all towels are created equal.

F/ii hair is going to react completely differently than M/iii hair. Hair tangling very quickly after detangling is not uncommon for our hair type.

That being said, I personally towel dry slightly (just squeezing the water out, not rubbing) and then detangle with a wide-tooth comb. One trick I learned here a while back is to detangle with the teeth pointing up. I have no idea why, but there is virtually no pulling or snagging this way, versus the traditional "teeth-down" method. :shrug:

UP Lisa
February 29th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Thank you, OhioLisa! I'm pretty sure it is just my hair type. No, I never wrap my hair up in the towel. Never tried a t-shirt.

My hair has always tangled right up again after detangling. It's really a pain. All I can do is try to keep it in good condition, and be gentle with it.

Thanks for the tip on combing, since I can't seem to use a comb at all. Maybe in some strange way that would help.

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM
[quote=Madora;2020947]

F/ii hair is going to react completely differently than M/iii hair. Hair tangling very quickly after detangling is not uncommon for our hair type.

That being said, I personally towel dry slightly (just squeezing the water out, not rubbing) and then detangle with a wide-tooth comb. One trick I learned here a while back is to detangle with the teeth pointing up. I have no idea why, but there is virtually no pulling or snagging this way, versus the traditional "teeth-down" method. :shrug:

Thank you for sharing that interesting "teeth up" approach of detangling, OhioLisa. I'm going to try that the next time I detangle my hair in the shower.

Madora
February 29th, 2012, 11:31 AM
[quote=Madora;2020947]

Thanks for that interesting info about detangling with the comb in the "teeth up" position. OhioLisa. I'll have to try that the next time I shampoo.

Apologies for the double post.

Bedhead
February 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Up Lisa, I know I don't have strictly 2b hair, but my hair was a lot finer when I wasn't doing NW/SO. I'm wondering how you get your hair into the towel i.e. do you flip your hair over onto the towel and wrap? I ask because one flip can cause a multitude of tangles in fine hair.

And yes, I also comb my hair upward, similar in fashion to how you use a bbb, Madora, only I'm standing upright. It feels quite nice. :)

UP Lisa
February 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM
As I said, I never wrap my hair in the towel. Nor do I flip it over.

whitedove
February 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I dont suffer from tangles yet... at BSL. I usually finger comb while in shower before and after conditioner then flatten hair to my body to keep movement of hair to mimimum. To dry I place towel onto my shoulders and gently raise hair to rest upon it and pat dry. Then leave towel on shoulders until its dry enough so it wont soak clothing. when its at the dry enough stage I usually finger comb then use a wide comb too, that seems to help with finishing drying.

Was thinking of using a old t-shirt as towels can be too rough but I forget to add this step everytime I wash.

Hope this is helpful in any way :).

UP Lisa
February 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you, whitedove. Our hair types are the same, but mine tangles at a much shorter length than BSL.

whitedove
February 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Erm how about trying to wash you hair in a braid, I am sure you could push the conditioner down the braid. You will get more waves that way too i think :)

holomi
March 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
If it helps, I can only wash my hair a certain way to prevent tangles. I part it down the middle and move the hair to the front of my body on both sides. I never wash my hair with it hanging down my back. Always in the front, in two sections. Prevents a ton of tangles. Also, I don't really shower comb to detangle, because that's kind of pointless. It's more just a step to make sure conditioner gets on all the hair.

Silverbrumby
March 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
My hair never tangles now in the shower. When I wash/cond. it, it's completely tangle free which is really strange. Even after towel drying (squeezing it only) still no tangles. BUT when my hair is dry is tangles up. Go figure. I think it's because I went through a stage just before I decided to grow my hair of flat ironing it and blow drying. That was a year ago. My poor ultra fine hair, delicate post thyroid cond. hair got fried and still has these weird blown out area bumpy areas on the hair shaft.

I'd almost prefer tangled hair when wet and not dry but I'm hoping with the condition improving it might hang more like silky hair and less like... well I'm not sure what to call it. I changed my avatar to show it air dried. It's not a good photo btw and the lighting is shot but it shows the frizzy, tangles :p

Madora
March 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
If it helps, I can only wash my hair a certain way to prevent tangles. I part it down the middle and move the hair to the front of my body on both sides. I never wash my hair with it hanging down my back. Always in the front, in two sections. Prevents a ton of tangles. Also, I don't really shower comb to detangle, because that's kind of pointless. It's more just a step to make sure conditioner gets on all the hair.

holomi, you're so right! Parting the hair down the middle and keeping it in front - as evenly as possible. Makes a world of difference!

UP Lisa
March 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've been rinsing that way for quite a while. I've been doing it because I can get conditioner rinsed out better that way. I don't know why it would help with tangles, but maybe it does.