PDA

View Full Version : Super Short Term Dyes

lostchyld
February 28th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hey, I've got dark brown hair and want to rock some funky colors for a little while, but people are saying it lasts a month. I just started a job that requires a hair color that occurs in nature. I could probably do a funky highlight or two and expect to wear it to work, but a month of hair that's purple in the light won't work at all. Does anyone have ideas or experience either getting MP out after a few days or of another kind of color that just washes out when you wash.

I've looked at Streekers (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2114020&productId=xlsImpprod740048&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=64stumpsfree&categoryId=cat120038), but that has dimethicone in it and I'm cone free and don't want to start again, even short term. I might give in and try it, I can BS/ACV it out and I'm not planning on doing it weekly, just once in awhile for fun.

Miss Maisie
February 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I have had your same dilemma over the years, and the only real solution I've found is clip-in colored extensions. My hair is dark, so temporary colors don't really show, and I don't want to bleach it. Yet I still yearn for a purple streak :) I have a friend who has several colors of streaks that she clips in and gets exactly the look she wants. I'm going to break down and get some this summer.

kerbear
February 28th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I have NO idea what it does to hair as far as damage goes... but I wouldn't think it would harm it... Have you looked into hair chalking (http://www.kandeej.com/2012/02/hair-color-how-to-hair-chalking.html)?? It seems to be the latest craze on youtube these days.

DarkAlice
February 28th, 2012, 08:41 AM
streekers wouldn't show up much on dark brown hair, do you have any highlights?

sugarpixie10988
February 28th, 2012, 08:45 AM
How bright did you want to go? If you have dark brown hair then you aren't going to get colors like hot pink without bleaching. Having said that, you might get a tint of color depending on what you pick. Here's a website that I really like (http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/unbleachedpage1.html). The page I linked shows different dyes on unbleached hair, so it may give you an idea of what to expect. Manic Panic seems to wash out quickly for most people. For me it takes maybe a month, but I also have lighter hair. You may want to do a small streak first to see if it washes out quickly enough. You could also try mixing the color with conditioner to make it not last as long, but it also isn't nearly as vivid that way.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I used clairol jazzing but I wanted a subtle effect. You could try it and lighten your hair.

Littlewing13
February 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
What about the manic panic gels? They have super bright colour that shows up on dark hair & will wash out in the shower. No "dye" will wash out in a few days.

Other than that there is always the temporary sprays (though im not sure about damage) or fanciful rinse which is a rinse out.

Or I just got a schwarzcopf live colour which claims 8 washes but Im realistically expecting more.

Also depends on the pigment (reds & blacks are hard to remove no matter what, blues fade greenish & wont last long), & the porosity of your hair (any bleached, dry, velcro ends etc will grab colour more, healthy natural hydrated hair tends to be harder to colour & it will wash out easier).

Or... clip in extensions. I got a few clip in highlights from a local bargain shop for like $2 each. Only synthetic so cant heat style, but if you want bright bright colour for special occasions they are great. You can get human hair too (from salons/ebay) if you want to heat style.