PDA

View Full Version : Super-temporary hair darkening? Waves?

Bagginslover
February 28th, 2012, 01:51 AM
In October I plan to cos-play a character with dark brown, almost black hair, and waves. Due to needing to par-tay! in costume, I'd prefer not to wear a wig.

Is there a dye, or other product I can get in the UK, that will temorarily darken my hair? I only need it to be dark for a weekend.

Is there an easy way to acheive big waves? Braid waves won't work as they'll be too small. I'm not against using some heat, but I'd prefer not to use irons or tongs if I can (again, will if I have to)

Thanks!!

lostchyld
February 28th, 2012, 04:37 AM
In October I plan to cos-play a character with dark brown, almost black hair, and waves. Due to needing to par-tay! in costume, I'd prefer not to wear a wig.

Is there a dye, or other product I can get in the UK, that will temorarily darken my hair? I only need it to be dark for a weekend.

Is there an easy way to acheive big waves? Braid waves won't work as they'll be too small. I'm not against using some heat, but I'd prefer not to use irons or tongs if I can (again, will if I have to)

Thanks!!

I have no idea about the hair color, but your avatar hair looks like it might hold a pretty defined wave if you plop. Just don't comb or brush, let the hair clump as it will.

KittyLost
February 28th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Manic Panic does a temporary colour called Raven I think which is dark brown/black. Thats a good non damaging way for a colour change, may last a little longer than the weekend but does wash out on undyed hair quickly.

Bagginslover
February 28th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I have no idea about the hair color, but your avatar hair looks like it might hold a pretty defined wave if you plop. Just don't comb or brush, let the hair clump as it will.

I have seen 'plopping' written here many times (and the 12 year old boy in me always giggles!) but what exactly is it? If it requires hair to already be wavy, mine isn't at all, my avatar is as wavy as it gets :(

Manic Panic does a temporary colour called Raven I think which is dark brown/black. Thats a good non damaging way for a colour change, may last a little longer than the weekend but does wash out on undyed hair quickly.
I've heard lots of good things about Manic Panic, I'll check them out. I don't mind it lasting a bit longer, so long as it will come back out ;) Thanks!!

hellucy
February 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM
If you have a branch of Boots near you colour extreme hair art spray may be good for what you need as it sprays in & washes out.
http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-Xtreme-Hair-Art-Spray-75ml_870910/

Tisiloves
February 28th, 2012, 07:35 AM
You could try really big sponge rollers/sock curls and then run a comb through, that usually makes big waves on my hair. It depends how well your hair hold a curl.

Anje
February 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I don't know whether it's available in the UK, but there's a product in the US (I'll bet you can order it online) called "Roux Fanci-full" that washes out the next time you wash your hair. Here's an example. (http://www.amazon.com/Fanci-Full-Temporary-Hair-Color-Chocolate/dp/B0013L9D6M/ref=pd_sim_bt_1) It tends to be marketed for people trying to cover their gray hair and won't even leave a stain on that.

ETA: I would consider Manic Panic only as a fall-back option. It'll darken your hair and won't damage it, but you could likely have darker hair for several months. That seems much longer-term that what you want.

Miss Maisie
February 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I get the best waves from sock buns! Good luck!

lostchyld
February 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I have seen 'plopping' written here many times (and the 12 year old boy in me always giggles!) but what exactly is it? If it requires hair to already be wavy, mine isn't at all, my avatar is as wavy as it gets :(

Plopping gathers all your hair into a towel, in a tight scrunch on top of your head that. I'd recommend trying it, even if you think your hair isn't wavy. Honestly, the photo looks like the waves are there, but brushed out. Plopping for about 10 minutes with wet hair, a leave-in conditioner, some gel and maybe a curl activator might define the waves I see with very little hassle. There are videos on youtube. Just search for plopping hair. One of the requirements for me is that I can't brush or comb my hair, wet or dry, while I want the effects to last. I'm a curly, though.

Amber_Maiden
February 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM

I second this.

Bagginslover
February 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hmm, is the Manic Panic I'm looking for the semi-permanent one? The only temporary one i can see is like a styling gel that drys hard, which sadly won't work :( my hair has to be down.

I will try plopping, but I'm not sure it will work <-- that IS my hair unbrushed ;) It might add waves I suppose. I have plenty of time to try things out though :D

Bagginslover
February 29th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Anyone know?

KittyLost
February 29th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Yes it's the semi-perm one you will need :)

Anje
February 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I suspect you missed my post. This is almost certainly the product you want. (http://www.amazon.com/Fanci-Full-Temporary-Hair-Color-Chocolate/dp/B0013L9D6M/ref=pd_sim_bt_1) Doesn't make your hair stiff, comes out with the next shampoo.

The only concern is that you might need to order internationally if you can't find it where you are.

Krentje
February 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Darkening colour shampoo! You can find it in tiny shampoo bottles in the hair colour section of a big supermarket or boost. It lasts for only 2-3 washes and costs around 2 pound. Guhl and schwarzkopf both have these 'shampoos'. I would recommend doing it twice for the best effect.

morrigan*
February 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Here I can get colour foams that have pretty good staining. You wash your hair add foam on damp hair and then style, it also provides some hold. It looks like that http://www.bik-bik.com/product/4785/color-forming-foam-guhl and come out with next shampoo.
Do not use manic panic, if you want dark hair only for one weekend !!
If you want really dark take black rather than brown.

Bagginslover
February 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I did miss it Anje, thank you for reposting! That stuff looks much better than the manic panic, I really do want it very temporary :)

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it :)

spidermom
February 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM
If you braid your hair with bigger sections, you will get bigger waves.