PDA

View Full Version : Goal setting: advice from those at classic and beyond

Um Enis
July 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
For most of my life I've had my hair between BSL and TB length. My pattern is generally as follows: I let my hair grow, always being gentle, always taking care of it the "right" way, relying on updos. I usually make it to TB length when I cut it back to BSL. And no matter how good the condition was at TB length, it is just in better condition when its freshly chopped.

I've tried everything: WO, CO, no-cones, deep conditioning, limiting brushing, oiling, horn combs, vinegar rinses, cones. I've kept what works the best for me; I've had virgin hair, I don't blow dry. Even at TB I have no split ends to speak of. But my hair really seems to be its silkiest at BSL.

I really want to grow to classic. Is this all normal? Is this just a small price to pay for having hair that long? Are my expectations unrealistic? Or do some of you that has hair that shows absolutely no appreciative difference as it grows?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

MoonCreature
July 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM
I'm at TB right now and IMO it's something I have to accept. The hair is just simply put old, it has been through a lot of daily wear and tear even if it has been kept well, but it has been combed, put in buns, braided etc. I notice that I've got a "weak spot" just around the area where I usually tie of my braids, even though I've mostly used snag-free hairties. With all that it is hard, if not impossible, to have it in the same condition as hair that is many years younger.

The best one can do is to make sure the ends have enough moisture and proteins and protect them as good as possible. If I were you I would simply try to accept that it isn't as silky as it could be, grow to classic and then decide what is more important. Hair that looks good and is at the lenght you want it, or hair that feels silky but is quite a bit shorter than what you want. Good luck! :flower:

Aisha25
July 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know if I can help or no but my hair feels best when its long. Long hair needs lots of moisture and some protein doing them in equal treatments once a month. I have classic hair but have no splits and rough hairs when there open,I treat my hair better than silk way better so maybe that why :p. Also with us we cover our hairs when outside so that is good,no sun damage or wind damage:smile: So if I were you I would at least try to grow to classic and just baby it more if you have the time of course:wink:
Aisha

heidi w.
July 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
My hair is at the bottom of my calves, and has reached the tops of my ankles, but I trimmed some back earlier this year. The trim was done professionally by the GM salon in NY and I only have rave comments to make about this trim. It was done in early March, and the hemline and strength of the ends remains in tact. (Of course, I hadn't had a good trim in about 3 years.)

My hair is stick straight.

My hair care routine is essentially the same as 10 years ago, when I was quite a bit shorter.

Shampoo well to ensure a very clean scalp; condition well at least once a week. I go up and down with oiling the length and currently am not so religoius about it, but used to be -- and plan to get back to it.

I have a scalp skin condition which I have finally found a way to manage very well and if I'm not mistaken, this feels like it has improved my thickness a bit. (I'm not a super thick haired gal!) ETA: big on the scritching comb! (I no longer ACV rinse because of the product I found for my scalp skin condition.)

ETA: O! to that end for the scalp skin -- I do scalp washes. That helps immensely to preserve length!

I am 48 years old, too.

So go for what you want. If you really don't like it, you can trim it back.....but it's nice to at least find out and be able to say you had it. We all have a length of comfort, and one way to discover it is seeing what it's like at a longer length -- gather that information -- and then decide. Oh, and take pictures! You won't have your hair forever. We all grow older and things definitely change for our hair when we age.

heidi w.

harpgal
July 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Um Enis, unless I have missed something, you have not told us your hair type. That has a lot to do with whether or not you will be able to achieve a very long length with a full hemline.

My hair is at mid thigh and the taper is more pronounced than at classic. However, I have the finest hair in the universe, even though it is at the 4 inch mark for circumference. I figure that I will probably taper out to nothing just below knee.

My advice to you would be to continue to grow your hair, all the while making very small trims 3-4 times a year. These trims can be 1/4 to 1/2 inch, or so. Also continue to take very good care of your hair. But most important, enjoy it and feel blessed. :)

heidi w.
July 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Those who haven't discovered how long their hair will really grow and generally kept to a shorter length or style are usually surprised at the taper because the salon industry is all about this thickness thing.

All hair tapers when longer, and dramatically longer this is more noted, no matter the type, to some extent when longer. This is NORMAL. There are some hair types that are exceptions but this is generally not the normal experience for the majority.

This is no reason to not go longer and moreover, to enjoy it, as Harpgal points out.

heidi w.

Riot Crrl
July 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
(I don't have hair this long yet but I've had TB for years before)

I think one thing that happens, at least to me, is that my hair grows really unevenly. If I'm trying to grow it and not trimming that much, it tapers more and more. Once the goal length is reached, it's hella tapered. But by maintaining a length and continuing to trim, all the hairs can catch up more when I continue to trim.

You might consider to give it a while at your goal this time, instead of reaching it and deciding the ends are too tapered and cutting back right away.

WritingPrincess
July 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm at TB right now and IMO it's something I have to accept. The hair is just simply put old, it has been through a lot of daily wear and tear even if it has been kept well, but it has been combed, put in buns, braided etc. I notice that I've got a "weak spot" just around the area where I usually tie of my braids, even though I've mostly used snag-free hairties. With all that it is hard, if not impossible, to have it in the same condition as hair that is many years younger.

The best one can do is to make sure the ends have enough moisture and proteins and protect them as good as possible. If I were you I would simply try to accept that it isn't as silky as it could be, grow to classic and then decide what is more important. Hair that looks good and is at the length you want it, or hair that feels silky but is quite a bit shorter than what you want. Good luck! :flower:
You took the words right out of my mouth. The longer the hair, the older the ends will be and therefore they won't feel th same as younger hair.

Shell
July 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well, to some extent this is true. The hair by the time you reach tailbone is probably about six years old, and by classic it's probably seven years old. There's no way that hair is going to be as "fresh" and nice as new hair. But, that said, you can still have really healthy, happy, soft ends. I used to control dry worn out ends with cutting, but now that I want to go beyond classic, I can't really do that. I have finally found a routine that keeps my ends looking good: no sulfates, conditioner sometimes, natural soap bars, herbs, and oiling, along with occasional trims. Your hair will probably need something different, but don't give up on finding it.

julya
July 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
My hair has the tendency to split and break with anything but the gentlest treatment. I try to only detangle when I am feeling relaxed, to minimize breakage. I find that doing occasional S&D helps.

I also started using cassia recently, which seems to have helped to strengthen my hair.

That said, the ends are not quite as nice and silky as the younger hair.

mommy2one05
July 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Aisha25 - What do you use for moisture and protein treatments? And by covering the hair when out...just a hat of some sort?

My hair is only waist length right now but I think this is a great thread. I mean who better to get advice from than the ones who are at the truly long lengths.

mommy2one05
July 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
For those of you with really long hair (which I consider anything past waist, which is where I am stuck at) : how do you wear your hair daily? how do you wear it for sleep?

harpgal
July 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
For those of you with really long hair (which I consider anything past waist, which is where I am stuck at) : how do you wear your hair daily? how do you wear it for sleep?
Braided bun for day and a single braid (thrown over my pillow) for night. :)

Aisha25
July 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Aisha25 - What do you use for moisture and protein treatments? And by covering the hair when out...just a hat of some sort?

My hair is only waist length right now but I think this is a great thread. I mean who better to get advice from than the ones who are at the truly long lengths.
Thank you for asking mommy2one05 I use honey or molasses for moisture.. eggs for protien and lots of oil in my hair:smile:. I cover my hair when out with a scarf like in my picture in my album of my face:grin: My everyday do is single braid,buns hurt my neck.

Um Enis
July 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
My hair type is confusing. Its a 1b, with individuals hair ranging from F then M to C. The thickness is just barely a iii.

Its not taper that bothers me at all, and it is in good condition--its just the lack of amazing silkiness compared to the hair at BSL. But I'm really thinking of going for it!

Now, one thing I don't do regularly when my hair is so long is trim. I think I get complacent because of the lack of splits. Then, as I said, when I finally go for a trim I always decide to chop! Maybe regular trims would help.

Aisha, Do you mix them all up or do them each individually.

Aisha25
July 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
My hair type is confusing. Its a 1b, with individuals hair ranging from F then M to C. The thickness is just barely a iii.

Its not taper that bothers me at all, and it is in good condition--its just the lack of amazing silkiness compared to the hair at BSL. But I'm really thinking of going for it!

Now, one thing I don't do regularly when my hair is so long is trim. I think I get complacent because of the lack of splits. Then, as I said, when I finally go for a trim I always decide to chop! Maybe regular trims would help.

Aisha, Do you mix them all up or do them each individually.
You know getoffmyskittle did a microtrim once and she said it made her hair feel great so yeah trims could help. To answer your question to me:D which one are you interested in honey or molasses??

Um Enis
July 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think either! They both sound so good.

Aisha25
July 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I think either! They both sound so good.
Okay :D well I use alot of product but i have thick and long hair,so use as much as you need. So i'll just post the ingredients of what I use:p. Honey 1/2 cup+ as much olive oil as you need for 30 mins with hot towel. Also honey with conditoner and some almond oil is great. You can heat up honey for 30 seconds in mic for no lightening to happen to hair. Molasses I use half a jar but you can use as much covers your hair+conditioner I use 2 big spoonfulls+coconut oil I use like 2 teaspoons is really nice and also,molasses can have some color effect,I think it tones down hair color. If you want some protien in it just add egg yolks in the honey,oil one.

mommy2one05
July 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Okay :D well I use alot of product but i have thick and long hair,so use as much as you need. So i'll just post the ingredients of what I use:p. Honey 1/2 cup+ as much olive oil as you need for 30 mins with hot towel. Also honey with conditoner and some almond oil is great. You can heat up honey for 30 seconds in mic for no lightening to happen to hair. Molasses I use half a jar but you can use as much covers your hair+conditioner I use 2 big spoonfulls+coconut oil I use like 2 teaspoons is really nice and also,molasses can have some color effect,I think it tones down hair color. If you want some protien in it just add egg yolks in the honey,oil one.

I am very curious now....do you put your treatment on wet or dry hair? So if you did honey, oil and egg yolks then your hair gets moisture and protein in one treatment (I always assumed moisture and protein would be separate tratments) ? And you only use the yolk of the egg....not the whole egg....is there a reason why or why not? sorry for all the questions.

Aisha25
July 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
I am very curious now....do you put your treatment on wet or dry hair? So if you did honey, oil and egg yolks then your hair gets moisture and protein in one treatment (I always assumed moisture and protein would be separate tratments) ? And you only use the yolk of the egg....not the whole egg....is there a reason why or why not? sorry for all the questions.
You don't have to be sorry dear:smile:
I do dry hair because that is what works best for me. I have tried it on damp,wet and my hair didnt like it. Yes in one treatment I do in both cause again that is what works for me and my hair loves it. Also I only do moisture and protien one once a month or so because my hair needs more moisture then protien now,and moisture I used to do once a week before hair wash. So you see how it is a balance thing,it's whatever your hair needs most. I use only yolk in my honey/oil recipe because I use the egg white for my scalp and I add oil with it,which makes me have nice new growth. So that is why I seperate them. I hope I was helpful and not confusing:D.

flapjack
July 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I'm going to have to agree with most of the posts here that say that's just what happens to the ends. I had hair to my knees for several years and even though the ends were still quite soft, they were not AS soft as the hair from about bsl and above. Now that I'm older and I know about oiling and such, maybe my next round at this (but I don't know about knee, haha) will have better results, but I'm not expecting much. I know it still won't feel exactly the same. And... even more frustrating for me, personally, I know it won't be the same color... not even close. My ends get very blonde/red, compared to medium to darker brown/red on top. That's just how it goes for me. Many summers of sun will do that.

podo
July 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
And no matter how good the condition was at TB length, it is just in better condition when its freshly chopped.
But my hair really seems to be its silkiest at BSL.

Perhaps you should grow to Classic and then cut to TB? Maybe it's not the "freshly chopped" at BSL you're liking, but just the "freshly chopped" part.

Um Enis
July 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Perhaps you should grow to Classic and then cut to TB? Maybe it's not the "freshly chopped" at BSL you're liking, but just the "freshly chopped" part.

Ooooh, that is way to insightful for me at this hour ;) I do love the feeling of freshly chopped hair. Its like someone took a weight of your head that you'd been carrying around!

Maybe I should grow to knee length and chop it to classic! Either way, I think I'm going to go for it!

Amoretti
July 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Go for it. I'm a bit past classic now (just slightly) and my ends are quite tapered. I think very full, blunt ends are beautiful but I realize that with my hair type they're impossible at this length. I have accepted that and let it grow anyway.

My ends are also dry so I'm thinking of following Dianyla's coconut milk conditioning treatment soon. I hope it helps.

To answer your question, my hair is always up in a Figure 8 or some such bun. I started wearing it up all the time at TB. It really helps with tangles, etc.

Um Enis
July 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ah, I also always wear my hair up once it hits waist. Its just so hot, tangly, etc, with it down. I guess I've got to make appointments with DH: "tommorrow, I'd like to wear my hair down from 2:00-8:00. I'm going to need you to be on kid and house duty while I just stand around looking pretty with my classic length hair." I think he'd go for it!

nappywomyn
July 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This is a wonderful thread!

Um Enis
July 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Another question about something I've never tried:

I love my vinegar rinses. What about adding a small amount of honey to the rinse. I know in arid environments this can be a problem, but I live in the middle of a drained swamp (literaly--I'm in inland North Florida). What proportions would I use? I shampoo once a week, but do WO followed with a vinegar rinse (nearly) daily.

Aisha25
July 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I do that I mix one teaspoon of honey with 1 quart of water and 2 splashes of vinegar. Apply let sit for a minute then rinse out with cool water.

Um Enis
July 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I do that I mix one teaspoon of honey with 1 quart of water and 2 splashes of vinegar. Apply let sit for a minute then rinse out with cool water.

Part of the reason I do the rinse is because I have really hard water and it helps to limit build up from each S/C... so I'd hate to rinse after. I'm still going to try those proportions though, God willing.

eresh
July 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Those who haven't discovered how long their hair will really grow and generally kept to a shorter length or style are usually surprised at the taper because the salon industry is all about this thickness thing.

All hair tapers when longer, and dramatically longer this is more noted, no matter the type, to some extent when longer. This is NORMAL. There are some hair types that are exceptions but this is generally not the normal experience for the majority.

This is no reason to not go longer and moreover, to enjoy it, as Harpgal points out.

heidi w.

Exactly :)
This is something to keep in mind.
And if you prefer a blunt hemline you can always see how long it grows and then think about cutting back to a bit above that to thicken the ends.

I haven't really changed my routine (tried no cones for a while, but my hair just needs the cones or it starts a war with me).
I still use the same products I used 10 years ago.
Only the bottle designs have changed ;)
The only change is that I started misting my hair daily since I got to classic. (water, a bit of jojoba and a few drops of the EO of my mood, right now that's thyme)

My daily hairstyle on weekdays is mostly the braided bun because it is the most comfy (no headache, no pulling hairs, not having to redo it throughout the day)
At night I always wear a low braid which I put between the headboard of the bed and my pillow :)

Amara
July 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ah, I also always wear my hair up once it hits waist. Its just so hot, tangly, etc, with it down. I guess I've got to make appointments with DH: "tommorrow, I'd like to wear my hair down from 2:00-8:00. I'm going to need you to be on kid and house duty while I just stand around looking pretty with my classic length hair." I think he'd go for it!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Aisha25
July 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Part of the reason I do the rinse is because I have really hard water and it helps to limit build up from each S/C... so I'd hate to rinse after. I'm still going to try those proportions though, God willing.
Oh it's ok not to rinse after dear I just do it cause that is what my hair likes:flower: Inshalllah it'll be good for your hair if you leave it in.:smile:

Nightshade
July 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM

My updos usually rotate between: pinless braided bun, Figure 8 bun, Gibraltar bun and equilibrium bun. At night, if I've just showered it's in a damp cinnamon bun with pins, if it's dry it's in a French braid and tossed over the pillow.

I have no idea what healthy ends feel like, but I do know what trashed ends feel like. They've gotten a lot better, and they are thickening up. :)

For those with dye/heat/chemical damage on the ends I really recommend Fox's Shea cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586), as that worked for me when no oil would. I've read that oil grabs onto the protein in the hair, so protein-deficient damaged hair may not hold onto the oil right (it always made my hair crunchy, while the undamaged stuff liked it just fine.) The shea butter cream works great for me as both a leave in and as a deep treatment as need by.

I also want to second the votes for micro-trims. For very damaged ends, like I had, I was trimming half my growth a month. I kept gaining length, but my hair kept improving. This method would also work well for people trying to steadily thicken their ends. Now I trim ever 2-3 months, but same general concept :)

Tigerdawn
July 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've had hair past classic for several years now and I've discovered that I can have a compromise between length and "quality" by trimming about 1/2" off every so often. Maybe 2-3 times a year- just whenever my ends start getting grabby and ratty looking. I get that blunt smooth just cut feeling (although not as wonderful as if I cut a lot) and I get to keep the rewards of my patience. I have my best friend trim my hair. She knows not to cut too much off. If you go to a professional, I would suggest you tell them to trim 1/4" off because they'll inevitably cut a little more.

Our hair type is similar. My ends feel softer when they have been well conditioned. Currently I'm doing S&C and I know from experience that when doing S&C you don't need to rinse the conditioner out of your ends all the way like you do with the hair up top. Back before LHC I would barely rinse the conditioner out at all but I was washing more back then too. With once a week washings it's best to get your canopy very clean!

For the past several months I've worn a braid to work every day. I'm currently transitioning to a bun. Buns tend to get uncomfortable throughout the day and cause hairaches so I have to experiment with different ones to see how they handle. Most of my buns involve twisting or else they don't stay up. That is a problem we just have to deal with, having straight hair. Another option is to do a braided bun but not secure the ends in a hair tie. Just pin/tuck them into the bun. That would probably eliminate a lot of end damage.

I think that was all of the questions...