PDA

View Full Version : Mp on dark brown hair

Long_hair_bear
February 27th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hey everyone! :flower:

So I'm missing my purple hair but do not want to resort to bleach. Right now, I have purple haze stewing on one of my locks as a streak. I hope it'll show up, but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. Anyone else use mp on dark hair?

Ligeia_13
February 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Are Directions users welcome? :) don't be too disappointed if it doesn't show up very well. From my experience and from what I've read around here, you'll most surely look purple in the sunlight :D

Long_hair_bear
February 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Are Directions users welcome? :) don't be too disappointed if it doesn't show up very well. From my experience and from what I've read around here, you'll most surely look purple in the sunlight :D

Well with summer coming up, that's not too bad. :D I may try directions plum next if mp doesn't work.

CurlyCap
February 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Purple haze only acted as strong highlights in my hair in direct sunlight.

My hair without product is dark brown, btw.

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm sure you've probably seen my MP before (since I can't stop telling everyone how awesome it is) but in case you or anyone else hasn't and wonders how it looks in dark hair, here goes:

Vampire Red
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC019711-1.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC01623-1.jpg
My most recent picture take a couple days ago, shows my natural color and the faded color which is still bright in the sun:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC020121-1.jpg

As soon as this fades completely, I'm going to try purple haze. And then pink.

Long_hair_bear
February 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
There's hope for me yet then. :D I'll report tomorrow when it comes out!

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I can't wait to see the results!

RapunzelKat
February 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I have no MP advice to offer :) But I do hope you'll share pics, I love purple hair! :D

bluebird77
February 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I've already posted this elsewhere but I recently bought some Directions colours online (not available where I live). I got violet, plum, cerise, rubine, dark tulip and neon blue. My natural colour is dark brown too so I'm not expecting dramatic results, just a tint maybe, which is what I want. I've been researching the best ways to make it stick.

Vanille_ I love your colour! Especially the faded one. How much time between the first picture and the last?

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Only about two or three weeks. The color changes depending on the light. The last photo was taken about two months after I put the color in.

tweetylonghair
February 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I dont care for mp.. to me it washed out way to fast on bleach and non bleached hair.. I absolutlely LOVE punky colour... and my most recent is in my hair album since I still dont have a clue on how to post a pic with this message... I did a midnight blue and a poppy red.. the lightest blue is 3 months old.

Ligeia_13
February 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I got violet, plum, cerise, rubine, dark tulip and neon blue. My natural colour is dark brown too so I'm not expecting dramatic results, just a tint maybe, which is what I want. I've been researching the best ways to make it stick.

I used dark tulip on dark brown hair and got way more than a tint!

http://i41.tinypic.com/10zczsi.jpg

I also haven't followed any of the tips I found and was going to use for longevity and its still this colour after a month.

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 08:05 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/10zczsi.jpg

Stunning color!

bluebird77
February 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I used dark tulip on dark brown hair and got way more than a tint!
I also haven't followed any of the tips I found and was going to use for longevity and its still this colour after a month.

Oh wow. Okay. Perhaps I won't need those techniques for longevity then. I'm not sure how porous my hair is either, there's a little bit of old damage (a few semi-permanent box dyes a while ago). I suppose I should do some strand testing. I'm usually too impatient and just want to jump right it.

I'm interested to see how the OP's turns out. Please post pics!

ETA: Ligeia_13 I do really like your colour, certainly wouldn't be disappointed with that. I guess I'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility that it may not take well and a tint is the best I can get. After seeing this I will be very careful with the blue one though.

Aimskylove
February 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
How about blue? Has anyone ever done blue over black or brown hair?

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Piggy did blue over black. It looks amazing. I'll see if I can find her profile link.

ETA: Here is her profile (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=30956).

sfgirl
February 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I like manic panic because it is vegan and cruelty free. :) I sound like such a hypocrite as I love BBB, but I like to at least know WHAT animal is in what I'm using, so I can have some respect for the animal. I use a lot of animal products, but I believe in humane treatment and not testing on animals.
I really think you could get a very, very, dark purple black color BTW. :)

jackie75
February 28th, 2012, 04:09 AM
How about blue? Has anyone ever done blue over black or brown hair?

I used blue MP over black hair (demi-permanent). It worked very well and the color was awesome! Too bad it didn't go right with my coloring, a warmer black suits me better.

KittyLost
February 28th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I hope it works out great! Purples and Reds do tend to take well over dark hair.

Sammich
February 28th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Special effects are the best if you're wanting lasting colour. :)

I have dark hair that I think I'm going to keep... I NEED to see my natural hair colour! :p So I'd love to see pictures, because I'd love to change my colour around un-damagingly; (huh? O.o) I'm a very impulsive person. :p

Long_hair_bear
February 28th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I tried special effects and hated it.... Not the color, but the fact that the color rubbed off on absolutely everything.

As far as my mp last night goes, my streak is tinted purple, but my hair is still brown. The tinting is very subtle. I'm wearing my hair up today so I dont know how it looks in sunlight.

I may try a streak of directions plum next.

Arctic
February 28th, 2012, 06:50 AM
My hair is (I think) medium ash brown and the two Direction reds (Rose Red and Rubine) I have tried (no bleaching involved) have given me tons of colour, very visible. They do fade fast though, loose the vibrancy of freshly dyed hair soon, but the muted/faded colour lasts ages. I'd have to dye weekly or at least every other week if I'd want to keep it vibrant, and I do but it's a lot of work.

I'd love to see pics of your purple streak!

Ligeia_13
February 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Oh wow. Okay. Perhaps I won't need those techniques for longevity then. I'm not sure how porous my hair is either, there's a little bit of old damage (a few semi-permanent box dyes a while ago). I suppose I should do some strand testing. I'm usually too impatient and just want to jump right it.

I don't think my hair is porous at all, if that helps. I remember dyeing it black a few times and it was almost all gone after a month and I was back to dark brown again. Post pics when you're done!