PDA

View Full Version : Did my first SMT today (with molasses!)

Miss Maisie
February 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I can't believe I've waited this long to do it.

I used VO5's Champagne Kiss conditioner (4 Tablespoons), aloe (1 Tablespoon), and molasses (1 Tablespoon). I know that the original recipe calls for honey, but I didn't want to risk lightening my hair. I know that microwaving it will kill that effect, but as I love the smell of molasses, I figured, what the heck? I microwaved it for about 15 seconds, slathered it on my dry hair, wrapped it in plastic, covered that with a towel, and sat for an hour.

The results? AMAZING. My hair is bouncy, full, and shines like glass. I swear, my hair must love molasses. My ponytail feels much thicker than it did this morning. I see this becoming a frequent thing.

Moral of the story, try this. And if you're a brunette, try it with molasses. My hair smells like cookies. I am loving this!

Avital88
February 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
oh you really make me wanna try this now :D

lilbeef
February 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm going to try this tonite!

pogo0685
February 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I have been wanting to try this for sooo long but I don't use conditioner at the moment, although I am thinking I am going to have to start using it again. That's awesome that it worked so well on your hair!

Miss Catrina
February 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Feels thicker, you say? All I need to hear...

Miss Maisie
February 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Here are some terrible pictures that show the after-effects! This is air dried and brushed. It doesn't usually lay like this. The ends are behaving themselves!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9141&pictureid=127322

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9141&pictureid=127323

einna
February 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hair looks good, interesting with the molasses. I usually do honey, but my microwave is broken (DBF tried to heat an egg in it = Boom!), and I am not sure if I dare use honey without heating it first.

cfreya
February 27th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I love smt but have noticed the honey has been lightening my hair, will definitely try this version, your pics look gorgeous by the way hair looks soooo healthy

Sillage
February 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've wanted to try SMT but the honey has kept me from trying it. This sounds perfect though.

Is there a special type of molasses to use, or will any type do?

Miss Maisie
February 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys!

Sillage, I just used the molasses I had in the kitchen. Nothing special!

hellucy
February 28th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Wow your hair looks so gorgeous & smooth - I will definately be trying molasses in my next SMT, I've always previously left the honey out as I didn't want to risk lightening my hair - it always goes a golden shade when its lightened which just doesn't suit me and I don't like.

cuties
February 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I had a couple of questions about the SMT.

Do you apply it to scalp as well or just the hair?
Do you use shampoo to wash your hair afterwards?

MermaidTresses
February 28th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I need to do this!

Miss Maisie
February 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cuties - I just applied it to my hair. Some got on my scalp, and that was fine, but I mainly wanted to get my hair.

I didn't shampoo afterwards, I just rinsed it for a long time.

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I didn't know molasses had conditioning purposes! Is it normally used for cooking? I haven't done a SMT before but I might use molasses instead because I really don't think my hair likes honey.

Anje
February 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Molasses, honey, basically any sugary syrup all seem to attract water and help your hair hold it. I've had good luck with corn syrup and even that fake maple "pancake syrup" (which smells a bit odd in an SMT). Treacle and golden syrup would probably work well too, but we don't see much of those here in the US.

The only caveats I'd put out are that honey is potentially permanently lightening and molasses is potentially temporarily darkening.

Sillage
February 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sillage, I just used the molasses I had in the kitchen. Nothing special!

Super, I can't wait to try this!

Covet
February 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Molasses, honey, basically any sugary syrup all seem to attract water and help your hair hold it. I've had good luck with corn syrup and even that fake maple "pancake syrup" (which smells a bit odd in an SMT). Treacle and golden syrup would probably work well too, but we don't see much of those here in the US.

The only caveats I'd put out are that honey is potentially permanently lightening and molasses is potentially temporarily darkening.

Thank you for explaining! I'd love it if molasses darkened my hair a little, I love black hair and mine isn't quite there.